• 4(current)
A call for skinners to help Confluence
@garbear: your suggestion would require different strings for every settings section and it wouldn't even be correct because it doesn't reset all the settings in a category but only the visible ones so in the screenshot it would have to be "Reset video playback settings". Maybe just change it to "Reset listed settings" would be enough though.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2013-08-16, 07:54)Montellese Wrote: @garbear: your suggestion would require different strings for every settings section and it wouldn't even be correct because it doesn't reset all the settings in a category but only the visible ones so in the screenshot it would have to be "Reset video playback settings". Maybe just change it to "Reset listed settings" would be enough though.

"Reset listed settings" sound good.

@Black
the description box should be made a bit smaller as we will only use 2 or three sentences max.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
"Reset listed settings" leaves me wondering if I have to select the setting I want reset, how about "Reset Settings On This Page" or simply "Reset Page" or "Reset Page to Defaults"
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
And maybe italic text for the help text? or something to better separate it?

"Reset These Settings" is the simplest and clearest I reckon.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2013-08-16, 08:07)Martijn Wrote:
(2013-08-16, 07:54)Montellese Wrote: @garbear: your suggestion would require different strings for every settings section and it wouldn't even be correct because it doesn't reset all the settings in a category but only the visible ones so in the screenshot it would have to be "Reset video playback settings". Maybe just change it to "Reset listed settings" would be enough though.

"Reset listed settings" sound good.

Here's a challenge: in order to navigate to the Reset button via remote, the user would have to scroll through the different categories, making it hard to reset the category they want without a mouse
ha, good one Tongue
(haven't tried the patch myself yet)
(2013-08-16, 09:06)garbear Wrote: Here's a challenge: in order to navigate to the Reset button via remote, the user would have to scroll through the different categories, making it hard to reset the category they want without a mouse

Sooo close!
(2013-08-14, 14:25)`Black Wrote: Here is another possibility... the description could also change and explain the levels if the level control is selected.

What about this one, but place it at the top, and push the reset button over into the light gray area, still sharing one line with the settings level?
Something like this (please forgive my horrible graphics editing skills):

Probably needs just a line separator or something more pleasing to the eye to separate that top part from the main settings, though.

EDIT: With "Reset listed settings", too.
Just looks too crowded to me, and I personally can't see any reason why it needs to be moved from the sidebar as this is consistant with the whole skin.
imo people just need to get used to the fact it's now there.
every change we do users will complain about that they can't find it.
after the context menu cleanup PR i still hit context to update the library while it has been moved to the sidemenu.

each change takes time to adjust to.
I can't accept it. The side bar in Confluence, in general, is bad UI. People don't know it's there. What options are in there aren't consistent (holy crap, look at PVR usage of the sidebar vs everywhere else). I'd much rather see an "options" box with a drop down menu, like in Re-Touched, and then make any kind of sidebar something totally different, a way to switch between the major areas of XBMC.

It's not about getting used to it. It's one thing to move something somewhere and get used to that, but it's another asking people to get used to something being somewhere it doesn't belong. A very skilled XBMC developer, jcaroll, could not find the setting when he was using the latest builds, just the other day.

There's no visual indication that anything has changed, so the natural and correct conclusion by the user is "some settings are now missing". It's painfully unintuitive. It's going to make setting up XBMC more frustrating than it needs to be, it's going to make a ton of needless work for forum volunteers, and it's going to hide more functionality from the user, not because they're not smart enough for those settings, but because they're just going to assume they don't exist.

Remember, this is the default skin. It should be intuitive and simple, and the settings in the sidebar is neither of those things.

It can look crowded or like shit, and it won't matter. These are settings pages, not the library showcase. Don't let ascetics prevent a better solution that makes all of our lives easier.
there are more things i can't accept but are still there..
like i said many many times.
reuse the dialog that is show the first time you enter library that point to the side menu and be done with it.
easy, simple and clean.

the fact that some one can't find it doesn't mean it's bad.
i'm waiting till the next wave of complaints of people who can't find the "update library" button.
does that mean it's bad? no. it's not. people who are using things day in day will obviously miss changes.
for example: just move one option couple of rows down and people will scream their lungs out it has been removed simply because they just don't look any further

if there's a better way sure let's do it but don't say it's bad as it definitely is not. you might disagree but that's your right.
It's horrible. The sidebar, as it is now, should die.
whatever.
almost every single skin has a sidemenu.
so you are just saying every skin is bad
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A call for skinners to help Confluence4