• 10(current)
Help spread the word: XBMCHUB is not XBMC.org
(2013-12-10, 21:51)HIGHWAY99 Wrote:
(2013-12-10, 18:32)ilovemymac Wrote: So does that mean the hub will finally work with devs rather then lie and keep people away from Xbmc.
.... Sorry Amet that I never had the pleasure of knowing you, was before my time of joining the staff. ....

^^ that implies I was part of HUB... I dont think so... if you have one enemy that is me, from the day HUB started, and the reasons are well known to all.
Wasn't there then, so I don't know, but won't bother you to find out. I still wish you the best of luck in things amet, so please try not to be my enemy personally just cause I choose to be a part of xbmchub and see the place as a good thing.
Hub after the split went all over twitter and Facebook saying things that were not true about xunitytalk and how the devs were greedy and horrible people.
The whole reason for the split was umOuch refused to let them advertise unless the hub got part of the revenue.
I saw nothing wrong at first with either. You want to advertiE fine it's your addon you do what you want. I don't what to on my addons that's how it should have gone. And then those who like what certain addons offer can go to those. In fact most people I know have all addons because they like both sides.
(2013-12-10, 22:06)HIGHWAY99 Wrote: Wasn't there then, so I don't know, but won't bother you to find out. I still wish you the best of luck in things amet, so please try not to be my enemy personally just cause I choose to be a part of xbmchub and see the place as a good thing.

sure, its not personal ... same as calling yourself XBMCHub was not personal and aimed at misleading public into thinking its team XBMC. Sure, you corrected it on your site after we raised the concerns, point is damage is already done.... dont think that at any point you are getting away with this but there simply isnt enough motivation on our part to do anything about it, everyone will rather use their spare time doing good things with XBMC than have a pissing contest with you(HUB).

whether you see hub as good or bad is your choice and I personally have no issue with you pirating the movies and making addons that do just that, hell get google ads in them if you like... oh wait, you did that already... point is do it as HUB, HIGHWAY Hub, piracy HUB or WTF you want to call it... just for havens sake drop XBMC part of the name and stop issuing "releases" on "tech" sites.

and one last thing, stay off this thread with HUB advertising, stay of any thread with HUB advertising and your XBMC.org "pro-attitude", its not fooling anyone. stay on HUB forum and we can all be friend then.

*rant over Smile
(2013-12-10, 22:13)ilovemymac Wrote: Hub after the split went all over twitter and Facebook saying things that were not true about xunitytalk and how the devs were greedy and horrible people.
The whole reason for the split was umOuch refused to let them advertise unless the hub got part of the revenue.
I saw nothing wrong at first with either. You want to advertiE fine it's your addon you do what you want. I don't what to on my addons that's how it should have gone. And then those who like what certain addons offer can go to those. In fact most people I know have all
addons because they like both sides.

THAT IS 100% A FULL OUT LIE! A COMPLETE UNTRUTH! TOTAL NONSENSE. I WAS PITCHED THE IDEA AS A WAY FOR XBMCHUB.COM TO "MAKE MONEY"

I flat out told them that xbmchub.com wouldn't require or request any funds. I made it very clear that a Dev making money is in NO WAY required to pay me... Or XBMCHUB.COM ANYTHING.

I AM FLABERGASTED THAT SUCH BLATENT LIES ARE SRILL THROWN OUT THERE LIKE THIS.

You my friend are either lying out right... or simply another cog in the wheel of lies spun about me and our forum. They were asked to leave becaue of what they were doing and how they were doing it.

Look I am sorry and I won't respond again. I need to remember where I am... and that there is nothing I can do in regards to opinions. I just wish folks would stop making such insulting and untrue claims about me. Please seek fact and truth.
will always be grateful for XBMC and XBMC.ORG
So, I don't want to talk out of turn here. I can't speak for anyone and don't want to further any nasty sentiments. I do have to think that regardless of what part of his community did what, umOuch has put forth a pretty sizable effort to correct his actions and make it clear that his site is not affiliated with this one. Too little too late? That's not for me to say. What I can say for sure is that it's unfortunate that the situation has turned into such a nightmare for him. People enthusiastically supporting and/or defending the original XBMC team is great, but leveling venomous attacks with real-world consequences at a guy who's trying to make things right, whether it was his own misjudgment that caused it or not, is unbecoming of any good community.

Maybe this is just a cliché, can't-we-all-just-get-along type of sentiment, but is there still a need for XBMCHub to defend themselves here and to keep extending a handshake? And is there anything to be gained by continuing to bite that extended hand and say things like "don't think at any point you're getting away with this?"

Again, maybe I should leave such thoughts as merely thoughts, so as not to risk offending people who've worked hard to produce something I love, but I'd love to see this thread turn back into a place where we can discuss technical questions surrounding the fallout of this XBMCHub calamity.

I recently rebuilt my XBMC box. Like an earlier poster, I recently discovered an add-on I did not install called "Go Mad Marketing." I am well aware that I added a couple of larger repos that were not sanctioned by team XBMC, and that anything I installed from them is not supported here. But what I would like to know is, how did this happen, technically speaking? Is the step of adding a repository from a zip file inherently dangerous? Or just add-on installation? Did this come with a specific add-on that tried to call it a dependency or something, or can all add-ons install other stuff behind the scenes? Any chance there's stuff that got installed that doesn't show up as a completely separate add-on like "Go Mad Marketing" was, making it harder to detect and remove? Can things continue to be installed without me expressly installing them if I leave the repo in my sources list or don't find and remove every add-on that came from it? Are repos in the form of http:// addressed in the File manager area less safe than zip files somehow?

Even as a n00b, I never thought XBMCHub was XBMC.org or that I could come here for help with an add-on I found in Fusion. But as a n00b, sources like Fusion and the "SuperRepo" (which claims it's maintained by the XBMC community, by the way, far more misleading than XBMCHub IMHO) both seemed like a great way to start looking at what kinds of third party add-ons were out there, since they have such large collections. I was aware that Team XBMC's position on add-ons was that they'd be self-governed, use at your own risk, etc. Maybe I'm a fool, but I took the disclaimers to mean "we don't condone piracy and are not responsible if someone installs a third-party add-on and uses it to access pirated or objectionable content." What I didn't realize was that even if I don't give an add-on any account info of an kind or agree to anything, that a third-party add-on can install other add-ons. And I don't know enough about how repos are checked/updated etc. or what kinds of things an add-on could leave behind to know how I prevent more of it now. Is removing all questionable repos enough? Or all add-ons that came from questionable repos? Do I have to clear out my userdata folder or any XBMC-related files? Is my system less secure outside of XBMC because of sources and/or add-ons I added in XBMC?

TL;DR - what are the actual, technical dangers of adding third-party repos and add-ons, and how does one mitigate damage when they find evidence of spammy/malicious add-ons?
XBMCbuntu 11.0
Zotac ZBOX Blu-ray HD-ID34
URC RF-20 (configured with Flirc)
Sorry, one additional thought:
I agree that it shouldn't be the worry of the XBMC Team to babysit users, but in fairness, the disclaimer on the unofficial repos wiki page is pretty small and doesn't do much explain any actual, potential technical consequences of installing non-sanctioned add-ons, and it could also be seen as confusing when a member of Team-XBMC tells users "You can find [the Frodo version of this skin] in the Superrepo !" and then users install that, find a lot of XBMCHub add-ons in said repo, and come here to find that much of Team-XBMC vocally hates XBMCHub, etc. I'm not trolling for more or bigger disclaimers or warnings, stricter add-on rules, or anything like that. Just an explanation of how stuff works, what's considered best practices, etc.
XBMCbuntu 11.0
Digitalboy, to be clear umOuch is not having life issues because of Team XBMC. He's having problems because Hub split and that split was evidently extremely nasty. Has nothing to do with XBMC.org.
(2013-12-11, 14:41)digitalb0y Wrote: Sorry, one additional thought:
I agree that it shouldn't be the worry of the XBMC Team to babysit users, but in fairness, the disclaimer on the unofficial repos wiki page is pretty small and doesn't do much explain any actual, potential technical consequences of installing non-sanctioned add-ons, and it could also be seen as confusing when a member of Team-XBMC tells users "You can find [the Frodo version of this skin] in the Superrepo !" and then users install that, find a lot of XBMCHub add-ons in said repo, and come here to find that much of Team-XBMC vocally hates XBMCHub, etc. I'm not trolling for more or bigger disclaimers or warnings, stricter add-on rules, or anything like that. Just an explanation of how stuff works, what's considered best practices, etc.

Back in the time when I added that, SuperRepo was not yet causing issues for users - it was a viable location for the quick Frodo hack-version of that skin which for a variety of reasons can't be included in the official repo. Please note I wasn't a team member back then and there was no skins development repository.

I have however recently seen more and more issues pop up because of the inclusion of these hub/secondhub/whatever addons in their repository. I have amended my text in that post and now no longer advice people to install a secondary repository. Thanks for the heads up.
I have no remorse for umOuch. He has cause the trouble that now plages him. He caused the split he pushed people away and then went on a rampage to destroy credibility of those who did not agree with him.

However I know people change and I do hope that umOuch sees the issues it caused and just chills so to speak.

And from a long time Xbmc user for a long time I though Xbmc hub was Xbmc. From talking to people there and just the way the site promoted it self I assumed Xbmc the software was here and the hub was the offical addons site. They use to say offical I am sure of it. So before I got into this and realized what Xbmc was that was what I thought and so did and still do others. Go to your tube and on Xbmc videos you see people asking questions as though the hub is it.
I tried messaging umOuch and asking him why he was acting this way no response. I messages him again nothing. And I was polite.

I have spoken with enough people they I can see what transpired and it was greed and selfishness that caused this. Now he is making it seem like everyone is out to get him.

But if it's causing that much stress maybe it's good to let go. I hope that umOuch learns from what transpired and enjoy life. No website is ever worth stressing out for.
Can someone close this thread again?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-12-11, 16:07)natethomas Wrote: Digitalboy, to be clear umOuch is not having life issues because of Team XBMC.

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that. I know nobody from Team XBMC did any of that. I meant I hope the nonsense hitting his personal accounts isn't coming from xbmc supporters influenced by stuff like this. It sounds like more likely it's virtually all coming from the same people that caused the rift on his own site. If that's the case, my point is moot.
XBMCbuntu 11.0
Regarding what other repositories can cause, there's a few things:

1. They could potentially include dependencies within the repository add-on itself. When the repository is first listed following install, it would auto-update itself (assuming auto-updates are on in XBMC - turn them off to prevent this) and then auto-install things you may not like. I'm not aware of any 3rd party repo using this trick, however.

2. The much more likely scenario is that a service add-on is included as a dependency in some other (useful) add-on. This is similar to the bundling of various toolbars on win32 when you install something completely unrelated, except you get no choice in the matter. Personally I wouldn't trust anyone that did this and would not install anything from said authors again. There may be some room for XBMC improving things here, by making it clear what is being installed when you install a particular add-on. e.g. perhaps we could prompt with the list of dependencies that will be installed for the user to approve things. Again, auto-updating would cancel this out though (it's not auto if you need to confirm it).

3. 3rd party repositories can replace versions of add-ons in the main XBMC repository with an updated version. This may be a way to deliver a service add-on to a bunch of users that are unawares.

So yes, IMO XBMC can do quite a bit to mitigate the effects (or at least make them more transparent to the user).

My advice is to only install repositories from those whom you personally trust. I've installed repositories from various skinners for example, but haven't installed a repository from any of the larger aggregators as I simply have no need for them.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

• 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help spread the word: XBMCHUB is not XBMC.org3