• 2(current)
Help spread the word: XBMCHUB is not XBMC.org
(2013-09-01, 05:07)ElliotV Wrote: ....
Edit: Just my opinion, but you should lock your start/menu screen in future builds. Smile

we can lock the entire XBMC so that it wont run with anything HUB related, thats not what XBMC is all about and it will never happen.

choice is entirely yours(users) and if you see no issues, moral or otherwise, installing HUB, who are we to stop you? Smile
(2013-09-01, 05:07)ElliotV Wrote: Edit: Just my opinion, but you should lock your start/menu screen in future builds. Smile
And how would you lock down an open source system? You'd then invite a fork. Ooops.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Since xbmc stopped support for navi-x and other likewise plugin. I registered with xbmchub...since day one.... but never actually used their site.

I then keep getting mails (LONG MAILS!)
and there seemed to be much fuss about this xbmchub on google search ( very well SEO) and youtube...... so i tried to install it.... for my no surprice.. it was total GARBAGE! nothing in that xbmchub was useful for me...i was soo surprice at that time ( 1 month ago) how they managed to persuade people that installing xbmchub would make xbmc faster and enable more features...

i think its positive to have a xbmchub website where people can discuss stuff which is not allowed in XBMC. and its okay to ask for donation, as long as all money is documented.... same to xbmc.org a wiki with documents on how the money is spent would be nice, not sure if xbmc.org has one like that.. i never bothered to look into that, since i believed in xbmc team 100%.

I think its important XBMC keep away from xbmchub at any costs... and i believe what the thread owner did was 100% the right think!

but the actual plugin is really rubbish as in really really rubbish!
Thankyou for the varied responses.
I did not plan to envoke such a large discussion.

I have tried to remove XBMCHUB...but when getting into it...I did not save the old XBMC
So according to the you tubes...I am supposed to delete the current XBMC...but I haven't got an old one to to rename for install.

Any suggestions?
I bought with software already on...XBMC, don't know much about this with all reinstalls needed...looks confusing on you tubes.
maybe add the website to the start screen branding, such as

Splash screen: http://i.imgur.com/pJiRAUT.png
Splash screen v2: http://i.imgur.com/tjaXZef.png

don't know what font you used for "Media Center" but if you tell me I can change it to match.

I use xbmchub and it is obvious to me that it is separate from the official website, but understand people might be confused.

You could even make a help section in the settings that layout where to get official support, where to make donations and a warning to other users about the unofficial sites.
(2013-09-03, 12:02)nero12 Wrote: i think its positive to have a xbmchub website where people can discuss stuff which is not allowed in XBMC. and its okay to ask for donation, as long as all money is documented.... same to xbmc.org a wiki with documents on how the money is spent would be nice, not sure if xbmc.org has one like that.. i never bothered to look into that, since i believed in xbmc team 100%.

Since the XBMC Foundation is a US registered not-for-profit it needs to keep books. As far as I know they are publicly viewable and quite boring.
Donation money is principally used to fund the yearly developer conference and attendance of open source conferences. All money is accounted for.
(2013-09-10, 02:28)Kibje Wrote:
(2013-09-03, 12:02)nero12 Wrote: i think its positive to have a xbmchub website where people can discuss stuff which is not allowed in XBMC. and its okay to ask for donation, as long as all money is documented.... same to xbmc.org a wiki with documents on how the money is spent would be nice, not sure if xbmc.org has one like that.. i never bothered to look into that, since i believed in xbmc team 100%.

Since the XBMC Foundation is a US registered not-for-profit it needs to keep books. As far as I know they are publicly viewable and quite boring.
Donation money is principally used to fund the yearly developer conference and attendance of open source conferences. All money is accounted for.

I just noticed that nero12 said this. We actually plan to eventually "wiki-fy" accounting records and other stuff, eventually. It's just as Kibje says, boring :P

It's all accounted for, because if we didn't then the IRS would probably come after us. Something like that.

It's also fairly straight forward. X amount of money goes to conferences like SCALE in California, US, or LinuxTag in Germany. Y goes to servers and stuff for websites. Z goes to hardware for developers working on stuff. Q goes to hookers and blow. Stuff like that.

So yeah, expect those kinds of things to be more accessible in the near-future.
The spreadsheet is linked to on the Contribute page right now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...WRGc#gid=8
(2013-09-11, 07:33)natethomas Wrote: The spreadsheet is linked to on the Contribute page right now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...WRGc#gid=8

$55 for a team meal? I must move to the US at once.

Edit: Just donated $50, hope that can go towards another team meal and the continued development of software I've been using for many years.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
Heh, I actually remember that meal. It was 4 of us in this hole in the wall Mexican food place down the road from the airport in Los Angeles. That was a pretty fun time, even if I think Ned was about to collapse from exhaustion.

Edit: Also, thanks for the contribution. I'll be sure to cheers to you at DevCon. Smile
I want to thank you for posting this as a sticky. I was watching a video on youtube and noticed all this stuff about Fusion. I was about to install it since it looked too good to be true and I am still new to XBMC. I am glad I saw this.
~ Ryzen 5 5600G APU | 16gig Corsair | Fractal Node 500 | Manjaro Linux | Gyration MC remote | 43" Visio
After reading postings on the subject of XBMCHUB I understand that I installed the WIZARD without knowledge of what I was really doing. I regret doing it and would like to restore my G-box to the original XBMC. I suppose I need to delete what I have and start over by downloading XBMC from a "good" source. Problem is I don't know how to go about doing this. Is it complicated? Do a set of instructions exist?
Geochr70
(2013-09-12, 23:49)geochr70 Wrote: After reading postings on the subject of XBMCHUB I understand that I installed the WIZARD without knowledge of what I was really doing. I regret doing it and would like to restore my G-box to the original XBMC. I suppose I need to delete what I have and start over by downloading XBMC from a "good" source. Problem is I don't know how to go about doing this. Is it complicated? Do a set of instructions exist?
Geochr70

Well, it's not like it's going to kill you. The big point is that it might cause issues, so people just need to be aware of that.

If you still want to get rid of it, I believe you just uninstall the add-on and then go to where your userdata folder (wiki) is, and there should be an "old" copy of the userdata folder from before the wizard was installed. Putting the old folder back should be enough, or you can even just start XBMC up with no userdata folder and XBMC will create a new default set of settings in a new userdata folder.
Why dont youll make an add on and say this is the authentic version and trust no other. It can be just a basic setup. I sure was thinking it was you guys and was going to donate to them instead but i came across this blog. Wow
I'm a Windows XBMC user, and have played with Pi and Linux versions too. Have it on two Android tablets and that works great as well.

I recently bought a cheapo Android TV-stick to experiment with. The stock install didn't work very well. There are several third-party versions of XBMC floating about that purport to be better optimised for Android, including the one from XBMChub. I gave it a try but was immediately turned off by the opening screen. Exploring the add-ons it became clear that it is obviously aimed at watching content online of dubious legality (to put it mildly).

OK, call me naive, but it felt like XBMC had been hi-jacked - a bit like the time a virus tried to hijack my browser. I just felt icky using it. I was glad to get it off the Android stick and get an install on there that felt clean and above board.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help spread the word: XBMCHUB is not XBMC.org3