• 7(current)
Help spread the word: XBMCHUB is not XBMC.org
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

This soap opera has ongoing entertainment value Smile

The whole 3rd party video streaming is a nice addition to our great XBMC, and the way television is going, streaming is in all likely-hood the way content is going to be delivered in the future, probably locked up with commercials, paywalls and passwords. The struggle we see here is just the rough edges and gaps of the spill out of large corporations flexing for control. In the end most of these proprietary streaming sources will dry up, leaving only those sources that seek any audience as a service. Until then, it's all entertainment Smile
XBMC is fantastic multimedia software - open source and non-profit. Yes, anyone can use the software at will.

On the other hand, we have communities of developers - namely xbmchub and now xbmctalk - that do their best to STEAL the xbmc brand and profit from this. These are a community of pirates and hackers that will do anything for a nickel and now they are fighting among themselves at the expense of the user community. Although some of the add-ons are quite good their development process is not at all professional. Before any release there is very little testing and it is left to the user community to experience the pain of non functioning software and software that crashes XBMC. One add-on I would like to pick on specifically is MASHUP - a great base piece of software that is rendered useless and frustrating by a group of developers that have no concept of release management. I recently conversed with mash2k3 and he and his community of hackers basically laughed at my suggestion that they should spend the time testing the software before release. VERY SAD!
So your saying you don't want addons because oh my it might be illegal? Lol the addons are not illegal.
The addons not all are accessing illegal content. Hulu amazon and free cable to start.
Then several live TV addons.

There are many in Xbmc.org like hgtv and classic cinema and many others.
Something's fishy, went to pursue video add-ons (in settings get add-ons) and am presented with the usual list of many repositorys with 'nothing' in them, including XBMC.org, the only one listed is the last one updated, which is the one that screwed the pooch (ok ok... I'm no innocent, it has the word 'ice' in it).

No big fears, a recent back-up will take care of this. I'm hoping this extra work is not a product of the stream wars.
No I am not saying I don't want the add-ons them they are illegal. When I call them pirates and hackers I am referring to their unprofessional mentality. A software developer trained in a professional corporate environment would not do this.

I am just saying that the community of developers could be much more professional in the management of their add-ons by putting the customer / user at the forefront of their decision and management processes. This means that they should only release software that has been well tested and that they should keep their fighting in house and make it transparent to the user community.
Just right click or bring up your contextual menu click force refresh. It happens. No need for a back up
(2013-11-03, 18:24)ilovemymac Wrote: Just right click or bring up your contextual menu click force refresh. It happens. No need for a back up
Thanks, just half paranoid and getting off topic. Users just want this to go away, but the entertainment aspect of this thread is still high.
Dear Team XBMC...

just to present your team alone with a follow up to some of the concerns that have been voiced here, I wanted to provide you yet another list of edits that have been made in our ongoing effort to ensure that there is no confusion between XBMC.ORG, and ourselves.

1) All team names have been changed from "Team XBMC HUB Whatever" to "Team XBMCHUB.COM Whatever"

2) The team has agreed to only make reference to us as "XBMCHUB.COM" instead of "XBMC HUB" to further ensure we don't have the XBMC name standing alone.

3) A tweet has gone out, and will continue to go out on a weekly basis, expressing appreciation for xbmc.org as well as acknowledging that they are responsible for development of XBMC, not us.

3) A post has been placed on Facebook, and will continue to go out on a weekly basis, stating the same info as twitter but also express that we are the completely unaffiliated. This post also encourages users to visit the official home of XBMC (XBMC.ORG)

4) As stated last week, the newsletter process has already been addressed to ensure that there are no more questionable statements sent from our team, as MANY eyes will look it over prior to releasing anything.

5) Our social media will now make an extra effort to look for opportunities to clarify the destination between XBMC and hub... Just as I do on the forums. This means our team will seek out posts that give us a chance to clarify who you are and who we are.

6a) We have added a notification bar to the the TOP of the our blog pages that state:

Quote:Please note that this is an unofficial XBMC fan site, not to be confused with the XBMC foundation itself.

6b} We have taken extra efforts on our FORUM as well by placing this content in HUGE print at the top of the forum. This message is also in our scrolling marquee that tops every forum page.

Quote:PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS AN UNOFFICIAL XBMC FAN SITE

BOTH OF THESE items will be brought up every 3-4 months on the forum to ensure it is noticeable and clear.

7) Finally, if your team sees anything from xbmchub that you are concerned about PLEASE REPORT IT TO ME. I will work to quickly repair any issues or concerns. Though we are unaffiliated... we have nothing but respect for you all.

I know that every reply I offer here is always met with trash talk from folks. As always, I have no interest in engaging those individuals. I am only here to reply to the XBMC Team, and to make attempts to correcting those issues that can be corrected. It is my earnest desire to ensure that there is a means of communication between us and that we care about your concerns.

Thank you.

P.S. Please note that this is not the end of our efforts. This is merely the steps that were taken in the past 3-4 days.
Thank you. It's appreciated.
(2013-11-04, 23:01)Abrasher Wrote: Dear Team XBMC... bunch of stuff

I wish you would have stated that this was a issuance from another site before submitting it. I, for one, was already confused enough about who is who concerning XBMC and I thought this was a statement from you (or this site). I've only been to this site a couple of times and I don't yet know who speaks for this site and who is an infiltrator from another site. Top that off with some of the horrendous grammar and spelling mistakes and I find myself just totally confused at what someone is trying to say.
Any member of the official Team XBMC will have "Team-XBMC" title included under their name on the forum, for example my full title is "Team-XBMC Member", Ned has "Team-XBMC Wiki Guy" and Nate has "Team-XBMC Community Manager".
(2013-11-07, 12:50)jjd-uk Wrote: Any member of the official Team XBMC will have "Team-XBMC" title included under their name on the forum, for example my full title is "Team-XBMC Member", Ned has "Team-XBMC Wiki Guy" and Nate has "Team-XBMC Community Manager".

really? Big Grin
Apologise
The whole xbmc experience is one of learning. At first you know nothing , then after a while it still means nothing . After around a year , you are still confused and during that time theres more confusing stuff taking place like external HUB groups starting up and then theres arguments and fallouts and "none Unity talk" . After a few weeks more , theres copyings of playlists and covert cloak and dagger impersonations , each edging for some sort of control.

Theres no instruction book comes with xbmc , so it's no surprise that a TEAM member comes and tells you something new . I just found out 2 posts up that Team members have it under their name .

Don't you just Love it ? Big Grin
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help spread the word: XBMCHUB is not XBMC.org3