Worth purchasing an Xbox alone for this?
quick query regarding xbmc, i've currently got a divx dvd player, and the vast majority of movies are on dvds already and work fine. i won't be using the xbox for anything really other than playing movies, i may occasionally play a game but it's doubtful. i'm just wondering if you guys think it's worth me splashing out on an xbox just for xbmc in these circumstances?

also, i'm mostly purchasing it becuase i've been told it's by far the best media player around (apart from a pc of course) and that it's pretty much future proof - does that mean it'll have 100% mkv compatability in the future? this is the main downfall of my dvd player and the main reason i'm considering purchasing an xbox, so i want to be sure it can do mkvs, ogms etc without much difficulty.

thank you ^_^
well i guess it depends on how satisfied you are with your divx dvd player.

xbmc does support mkv and ogm. (anything mplayer supports xbmc does http://www.mplayerhq.com ) **edit xbmc does not support mkv menus (but who does)
xbmc is very flexable and is constantly updated.

futureproof? now thats just wishful thinking. xbmc can always be updated, but its hardware is always limited. as codecs (avc) and resolutions (hdtv) become more demanding the xbox will become even more strapped for recources.

xbmc's main advantages in video playback over divx players are
a) network connectivity
b) hdtv output scaling
c) far more formats are supported
d) consistantly updated (until the project dies off)

xbmc does suffer from a couple bugs in video playback (post-processing is broken, and iirc xvid q-pel isnt 100% yet. xvid q-pel works fine in dvdplayer though)

xbmc is far more flexable than your hardware player.

many thanks for your answer, the more i think about it, the more i do really want an xbox with xbmc, i just wish i didn't have this bloody divx dvd player so that the decision would be so much easier! ;(
i got a divx able dvd player myelf + 3 xboxes, trust me, the decision is very easy.......... u deffo want an xbox
(midknight @ jan. 04 2006,12:14 Wrote:i got a divx able dvd player myelf + 3 xboxes, trust me, the decision is very easy.......... u deffo want an xbox
ahh, what makes you say that? and how come you kept the divx dvd player if the xbox is so great? Wink
Thumbs Up 
the xbox+xbmc is absolutely the best player you can get for less than ~150 bucks.
even though the hardware generates more noise than a divx player!

...and i don't know of any divx player on which you can also play halo, ninja gaiden or dead or alive :d

bernd
well, i've two of them. one in the living room, one in my car. and after seeing it now 4 friends have their own :lol:

so xbmc is just :bowdown:

but if you only watch dvds.... Rolleyes

regs
coyote

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Worth purchasing an Xbox alone for this?0