PVR in Japan
(2016-06-24, 10:10)atsumori Wrote: I wasn't able to do anything with software from the Brazil market (I don't think they use B-CAS cards) and wasn't able to get anything working with existing real software like TVheadend a couple of years ago but hopefully that's changed. TVRock I couldn't get to work but if you can find older versions of TVtest, that will let you view live Tv and record (though I don't think schedule). You can also use it to view scrambled CS channels but that is pure black area.

I hear spinel is good for pvr scheduling and streaming of broadcasts to other devices but I couldn't get it to work correctly. I use EDCB (EggDataCapBon?) which is rudimentary but oddly reliable (though sometimes it will record unrelated shows.

Everything I mentioned above is a complete pain in the ass to setup, so definitely use a wiki to learn more and find the right versions. Also, word of advice, get a card with as many tuners as you can afford. Mine only has two and I really wish I got more. You'll need a tuner for every show you record simultaneously (which happens a lot if you record back to back shows as you'll need to record a little before and after). You also won't be able to switch between formats (Regular TV, BS, CS) without restarting your recording software, so, with a card like mine with two tuners you have to choose between recording TV and BS or being able to record two programs at once.

Agreed, from what I have been reading the B-CAS card reader (drivers, etc.) all have to be setup separately. Then it has to be tied into the software you are using for viewing, etc. So without having tested anything myself and making a broad only slightly educated assumption, it would seem that Brazilian setups and probably even TVheadend, just would not work. Brazil doesn't have B-CAS and I don't think the primary user base for TVheadend has any need of it. A side note for TVheadend though, they only just recently added the support for ISDB-T to their unstable versions. Then depending on which post you read, it will not be fully integrated until stable 4.4, but in our case there would still be the B-CAS hurdle to deal with after that, assuming it hasn't already been addressed.

I'm also completely of the same thinking on the tuner card, and greatly appreciate your insight on that. Right now I'm looking at the PLEX PX-W3PEV2.0 (地上デジタル放送 x2, BS/CSデジタル放送 x2) and the PX-Q3PE (地上デジタル放送 x4, BS/CSデジタル放送 x4). I'll delve into my concerns on those cards a bit more with my reply to benmoran in a sec, but ya, the more tuners the merrier. For spinel and EDCB, if I was setting this up for just myself I would happily go with those as there does seem to be some really in-depth guides for all of these options in Japanese. However, what I'm hoping to get setup is more of a "one stop shop" sort of setup utilizing Kodi as the frontend for the wifey. Since we recently moved to a VM based / thin client sort of setup, I'm trying to keep everything as simple and user friendly as possible for her. Since she already is pretty familiar with Kodi, I'd like to keep all our entertainment related stuff tied to that.
(2016-06-24, 12:58)benmoran Wrote: Is using Linux totally out of the question? There is a very nice standalone DVR called Chinachu, which also has a Kodi PVR plugin (that is not yet in the repos). You can find the Chinachu PVR plugin here: https://github.com/mzyy94/pvr.chinachu
This has full EPG, live TV, etc. If your main Kodi box is Windows, it's possible to set up Linux/Chinachu + tuners on something like a Raspberry Pi or spare PC.

For tuners, I've used personally the Earthsoft PT3 (which has 2xchideji, and 2xBS tuners). For usb chideji, the Plex PX-S1UD is a fantastic single tuner stick. A few of these in a USB hub would work great with Chinachu.

No, not at all! In fact, I’m completely open to using literally anything as the backend as long as it can push its functions into Kodi. So thank you very much for posting that link! My server is running unRAID as the primary OS (linux based), so I can setup any environment for the tuner server to run in via: Plugins, Dockers, or VMs.

I looked into Chinachu quite a bit, and I have to say it looks REALLY promising, so thank you again for having mentioned it. I found a blog post that showed all of the browser based functionality of Chinachu (EPG, recording, groups, etc.) is accessible over in the Kodi client add-on, so this is definitely the way I want to go. I do have a few concerns primarily related to drivers and the actual tuner cards though.

I know the Earthsoft PT3 is the “go to” card in almost all of the setups/reviews/guides, but with it having ended production and its price getting stupidly expensive, I’m looking more at the PLEX PX-W3PEV2.0 or the PX-Q3PE as mentioned above. However, using a linux based OS we seem to run into some driver issues. The PX-W3PE’s built in card reader doesn’t seem to have a corresponding linux driver, despite the tuner seemingly having one (though I may be mistake on that as well, and it may only be for the v1.3 variant?).

The PX-Q3PE on the other hand (which is the card I really want since it has 8 tuners 4&4), doesn’t seem to have a linux driver at all, at least not that I could find. I did run across some threads mentioning using the Foltia Anime Locker trial software to somehow get the CentOS drivers for it, but more reading would be required there. According to the Anime Locker site, they state they have setup and run 2x PX-Q3PE in one instance as of 2016/4/2. TBH, if Anime Locker had a Kodi client add-on, I would probably just toss this into a VM and go this route.

I’ll take some time and look more into Chinachu and if its possible to & how to setup the PLEX cards with it. It seems to be the most integrated and is surely the closest to what I’m looking for right now. I’d be happy to hear more about your experiences with it, getting the B-CAS up and running with it, etc. If you might know anything about the PLEX cards related to Chinachu too, I would greatly appreciate any info about that too!
Hello everyone,

Continuing the lazarus thread. I currently reside in one of the military bases in Japan, so I receive the japanese local (chideji) channels via clear QAM cable. In my case I have setup a winTV quad card for recording (4 tuners), but due to lack of linux drivers for this card, I have gone the windows route with NextPVR. NextPVR has a nice plugin in kodi, so things are nice. I used WebGrabplus to grab the EPG information and have it scheduled to run every night (grabs a week worth of data).

I am fearing my move to outside base as I will have to change my system and I am not sure how to go about it. I am seeing everyone using chinachu, how has your experience been with this plugin? Can you pause live TV, can you record multiple streams no problem?

While I am good with either Linux or Windows, I do tend to go windows due to the availability of drivers for the tuner cards. anyone using a windows system? Are you running chinachu on windows or another PVR software? Are you able to stream to kodi or do you have to setup the box as a recorder connected to your TV?
By the way, I have brought the need for ISDB-T to NextPVR to the guy running it. It seems that NextPVR supports the format as long as the tuner handles the B-CAS decryption.

http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php...d&p=508872

Is this how it is handled at the moment, or does PVR need to work with the B-CAS to decrypt? Any settings need to be set on chinachu for B-CAS decrypt?
(2016-10-20, 03:14)gaijinboricua Wrote: By the way, I have brought the need for ISDB-T to NextPVR to the guy running it. It seems that NextPVR supports the format as long as the tuner handles the B-CAS decryption.

Is this how it is handled at the moment, or does PVR need to work with the B-CAS to decrypt? Any settings need to be set on chinachu for B-CAS decrypt?

Sorry for un-earthing this thread from the grave, but with the announcement today that Slingbox's servers will be going offline as of 2022, I wanted to see what options there was for placeshifting - and maybe there was a solution via Kodi. 

I noticed some folks here mentioned using Plex, and some checking through Amazon came up with devices like http://www.plex-net.co.jp/product/px-w3u4/ .  Does anyone have a solution where they can set up a device or build a computer which would support Live TV / Recording in Japan, and be able to stream it over the net to view it with a particular app?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(2020-11-10, 02:41)karyuudo Wrote:
(2016-10-20, 03:14)gaijinboricua Wrote: By the way, I have brought the need for ISDB-T to NextPVR to the guy running it. It seems that NextPVR supports the format as long as the tuner handles the B-CAS decryption.

Sorry for un-earthing this thread from the grave, but with the announcement today that Slingbox's servers will be going offline as of 2022, I wanted to see what options there was for placeshifting - and maybe there was a solution via Kodi. 

I noticed some folks here mentioned using Plex, and some checking through Amazon came up with devices like http://www.plex-net.co.jp/product/px-w3u4/ .  Does anyone have a solution where they can set up a device or build a computer which would support Live TV / Recording in Japan, and be able to stream it over the net to view it with a particular app?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
hey hey, this thread brings memories. I no longer use the system, but what I did was use a program for scrapping TV show information (http://webgrabplus.com/), and a program for capturing the TV feed (NextPVR). 
NextPVR handled the tv capturing well and can consume the TV show schedule information as long as it is in the correct format (which WebGrabPlus did very nicely). The only issues I experienced were more related to the lack of Japanese TV show information on the web and how often the pages with the information would change format, which required me to modify the scrapper (WebGrabPlus) from time to time (every 1 or 2 months). /The folks at the forums were very helpful on this regards. Also, these pages only gave information for 7 days, so I could only schedule about 7 days in advance. Also, the version of kodi running on Android at the time, would some times have issues with the video feed and audio not synching and glitching. 

As such, as long as you have a tuner that can capture the signal well, NextPVR will serve you well to grab and serve these feeds (I havent tried Plex personally). So I recommend you give it a try on any computer you have laying around. You should also test the android version, at the time the original kodi would not work well, but SPMC would.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR in Japan0