WIP Hybrid Lite
In tracking down a problem with Hybrid where sometimes the menu does not get focus on returning from another addon / screensaver, I started a temporary skin for myself and was wondering if there was any interest in a "Lite" version of Hybrid.

ATM was thinking Horizontal home menu (responds better to a mouse) that was customizable - actually maybe distributed only with "System" enabled and users add what they want. Probably not the playlist widget as that includes a whack of code but recent / random and suggested widgets can be included. Media views limted to 2 ? a plain list and another library type view that would work for movies, music and addons etc.

Let me know your thoughts, but try and remember the aim is for it to run on "skinny" type machines
Noli illegitimi carborundum

Would love to see a lighter, sleeker version of Hybrid (no fade out effects, instant response to input devices), but with a narrow (1/8 of the horizontal screen) vertical menu so as to make more room for menus.
I would love this, I use your skin on Pi but it is kind of heavy compared to some other skins and I have to disable some stuff to make it work properly.
I would definitely vote for a light version. Smile

Horizontal is the way to go IMO, also either don´t use skin widget as standard or set it to not update every minute if possible (causes short stutter on HD movies on Pi).

The media info view and list is sufficient I think.

One thing to consider is to try and not use scrolling text (ie metropolis on recent videos) or an option to turn it of completely (not only info, but also names in list and/or recent movies etc.).
This is most of the time the biggest cause of high CPU, at least on Pi.
There is also a bug in dirty regions that it gets stuck in re-rendering mode when text is scrolling so even if you go somewhere else in menu the CPU keeps peeking even if it is unnecessary (there is a trac on this but I don´t know the priority).

I have also disabled all additional addons except skin widget.

I cannot remember all settings I have made, but if you make a release of a light version I am happy to test and report.
It would be nice to have both..
In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates, open source, opens minds, so open yours today.

Took a small detour & did a simple "Confluence Mod" while waiting for a few more comments on this idea. Big Grin

@DiMag - problem with removing some of the effects is the skin doesn''t feel smooth as some of the effects actually allow time for the image to load. must also admit I prefer a vertical menu, unfortunately it has problems with being controlled by a mouse. So will probably have both, not sure if the vertical menu would be any smaller than current one is.

@miappa - didn't know about scrolling text on Pi, but good argument - I'll see what I can do.

@joe - guess it'll be both then Smile

Quote:Mudislander wrote:
@DiMag - problem with removing some of the effects is the skin doesn''t feel smooth as some of the effects actually allow time for the image to load.
I say in all candidness, and in full appreciation of your work --- Convergence, Confluence Lite Customizable, CCM (my current skin of choice), plus anything else I am not aware of---, that if Hybrid is so sluggish that extra effects need be added in order to not let the user realize how sluggish the skin is then the whole enterprise should be dropped. Except perhaps as an experimental project: (a) to test best features which could be ported to CCM, (b) or to develop into a new skin ("Convergence Mk II"?) which is only marginally slower but vastly more potent than Confluence.
Actually CCM is supposed to be a test bed for Hybrid Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hybrid Lite0