• 3(current)
X-26 Cheap NUC Variant
Dougie,
I think it would be better to bypass the whole Aliexpress thing. The shipping is too high.

I'm wondering if its worth holding out for the new Intel Atom Z3770 so that we can have a fanless box.
Can't remember if that's out on Sept 1st.
The celeron 1087U and G1610 have a little fan on them.
(2013-08-21, 15:33)joelbaby Wrote: Dougie,
I think it would be better to bypass the whole Aliexpress thing. The shipping is too high.

I'm wondering if its worth holding out for the new Intel Atom Z3770 so that we can have a fanless box.
Can't remember if that's out on Sept 1st.
The celeron 1087U and G1610 have a little fan on them.

Also this is on the Intel road map http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130821PD203.html

edit:
Bay Trail
22 nm
x86-64
2.1 GHz Quad-core (without HT), Silvermont out of order cores
Intel Gen 7 (Ivy Bridge GPU architecture, DX11, up to 3X+ faster)
64-bit Dual-channel 533 MHz LPDDR3-1066 (17 GB/sec)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom_%28sys...of_systems
Just checked its not much more for Devlivery £8.09 extra

so now its £128.69
Non-Sterling Transaction Fee 3% £3.86
Import Vat @ 20% £25.73
Since the value of the item is below £135 there is no No customs duty to pay for

so in total
£128.69+£3.86+£25.73=£158.28

NUC BUILD---------------

Intel DCCP847DYE Next Unit of Computing (NUC) Celeron (847) 1.8GHz Antenna BT (HD Graphics) Black/Grey DCCP847DYE - £135.66 (£131.16 + £4.50 Delivery) 3 YEAR UK WARRANTY
http://www.stuff-uk.net/p-1410890.aspx?g...tAodmTEAJA

Samsung 2GB Kit (2 x 1GB) DDR3 1066Mhz PC3-8500 Laptop Memory - £4.99
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-2GB-Ki...19c9adbb98

KingSpec 8GB 2CH Flash mSATA SATA Mini pcie Solid State Drive SSD For IBM X220 - £17.92
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KingSpec-8GB-2...2c66c0dffe

New UK C5 Cloverleaf Clover Leaf Mains Power Cable Lead for Laptops adapters 5A
- £1.79
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-UK-C5-Clov...3cd4cd6d14

So in total £135.66 + £4.99 + £17.92 + £1.79= £160.36

Savings from buying a Chinese branded box against NUC (160.36 - £158.28) = £2.08

Pay an extra £3.45 and get double the storage at 16GB msata
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kingspec-16GB-...2c685f561f

OR pay an extra £7.07 at quadruple the storage @ 32GB mSata
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kingspec-32GB-...2c66c0de81

So a savings of £2.08
REMIND ME AGAIN WHY I WAS INTERESTED IN THIS?
Forgive me ignorance, since I know very little about these NUC boxes, but if we compare something like this to a Pivos Xios, or TLBB, or similar, am I correct in thinking it blows both out of the water performance wise, for approximately GBP60 more in cost, plus a remote control?

So, order the above items, install openELEC and XBMC, connect to the local network/content, and its ready to go? Is it really that simple?
I dont see a mention of an IR receiver, although it was mentioned earlier in the thread? Although it has wifi built in, right? So many of the different wireless remote/keyboard combos should work?

What are its disadvantages by comparison? What doesnt it do compared to either an Android or a Linux box like mentioned?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
(2013-08-21, 18:44)jmh2002 Wrote: What doesnt it do compared to either an Android box?

It doesn't play Angry Birds, and won't ask you for a gmail address to use it.
(2013-08-21, 16:34)MediaPi Wrote: Savings from buying a Chinese branded box against NUC (160.36 - £158.28) = £2.08

I think the problem you have is the 20% tax the UK puts on imports.
I read the HM Revenue website, and you even have to pay 20% tax on a gift sent from a private person overseas.
Glad I left the UK 10 years ago to live in Australia - they don't do that here. (there's a 10% tax only if the declared value is above $1,000).

The Aliexpress postage fees are too high, and i'm not sure if your 20% needs to be added to that too.

I guess it depends what country you're in.

If you were excited by this at 150 pounds, then why not just build one?
Truth? I have a Raspberry Pi, I use it to stream, I don;t have a fancy tv or amp. I know if I buy a NUC it won't benefit me except I will save 3 minutes of my day. Worst thing is the market is moving so quick if you buy something now, a newer fancier one will come along in 3 months. Untill I have more needs I can't justify spending a wopping £150 on something that I have already got...my Pi. Humans including me have nothing better to do so instead of building our selfs and spirits we build the best htpc theatre with no dropped frames, no waiting for loading times. 100 MG/s broadband speed. Pure DTS, super ameloed screen with 4k when most have are already short sighted by the time they get all this. and all the time our brains are rotting.

Have you ever wondered that we are just robots with instructions. What feeld good - we must do. But we don't use our frontal lobe of the brain which separates us from non sentient beings and it rots. Buts its okay because we got the most badass HTPC setup in the world.
Man I need to get our more.
(2013-08-21, 19:48)joelbaby Wrote:
(2013-08-21, 18:44)jmh2002 Wrote: What doesnt it do compared to either an Android box?

It doesn't play Angry Birds, and won't ask you for a gmail address to use it.
Gotcha Wink But, I was referring to more practical matters... Angel Are there any?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
@

(2013-08-20, 21:33)jammyb Wrote: If you notice.

There's only one negative on the NUC. The price.

If you want perfect xbmc playback, fluid heavy skin capability and 3D. You buy i3 NUC.

You want perfect xbmc playback, heavy skin capability and SBS 3D. You buy Celeron.

You want silky smooth heavy skins and everything playable. You buy i5

But IMO. If you're future proofing and not contemplating 3D. Go Celeron. Why? Because i3 is £100 more and you can do SBS 3D with the Celeron.

If you gotta. Go i3!

If you don't want to spend the money. Get TLBB. Fuck the pi!

But. Another contender - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=171705

But I love my NUC. Hell, I customised it to do exactly what I wanted! I'm not looking to change for a while, but I love talking about XBMC hardware!!

to answer your question you would need a remote and then thats it, you can get the mele f10 that everyone is raving about, have a look in youtube and just type in "nuc celeron xbmc"

my advice is simple. Would you spend £100 on a new laptop? sure it has a nice case and everything but you know that the userbiility and enjoyment have killed your passion for that device. Buy a £350 laptop and it will last you 4-5 years worth of fun. Buy a $h!x laptop and have frustration for maintanence problems for 1 year before it dies.

A HTPC (home theatre personal computer) is something to be enjoyed, no faffing about with bugs and stuff. and yes you basically buy the parts. stil not sure how to get the OS on the msata card. (google it) put it together and don't worry about the hardware anymore and just enjoy the software.

Have a look at the resources available here check joelbaby build, a frekin awesome build. and just do some research. Google is your friend. and yes forgot android buy a NUC

also read this post
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=171590
(2013-08-21, 18:44)jmh2002 Wrote: Forgive me ignorance, since I know very little about these NUC boxes, but if we compare something like this to a Pivos Xios, or TLBB, or similar, am I correct in thinking it blows both out of the water performance wise, for approximately GBP60 more in cost, plus a remote control?

So, order the above items, install openELEC and XBMC, connect to the local network/content, and its ready to go? Is it really that simple?
I dont see a mention of an IR receiver, although it was mentioned earlier in the thread? Although it has wifi built in, right? So many of the different wireless remote/keyboard combos should work?

What are its disadvantages by comparison? What doesnt it do compared to either an Android or a Linux box like mentioned?

Doesn't have bugger all inside the NUC. You add in what you need.

Doesn't have wifi, ram, SSD, Bluetooth, or fuck all. [tho the new i5 model has IR but unconfirmed till release on its capabilities] I've spent roughly £250 on mine. But in stages.

£200 for NUC, SSD, RAM.
£20 - Remote/ RC6 USB IR
$37 - simerec.com [£24]
$7 - lightdims.com [£4.50]

Have a read of the wiki. It's the most abridged version of the 100+ page / 300k+ viewed NUC thread. Read the wiki. It's in my sig.

Have a read of my NUC build to see what's in one and how to make it remote capable.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

On a separate note. Might buy one of those 8GB mSATA SSDs and an adapter and replace the 60GB Samsung 830 SSD in my Revo for it and use the Samsung SSD somewhere else. Ha!

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

adapter? don't they have dedicated ports to just slide in? quite impressive for £250 jammyb considering what you got
mSATA to SATA adapter as Revo uses standard 2.5" drives.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Supplier couldn't improve on the postage prices.
I'm going to wait for something fanless with the power of the 1037U or G1610.
(2013-08-21, 13:56)joelbaby Wrote: Hi eskro.

What do you think is sufficient for Win7 with heavy skins
C1037U, G1610, i3 3270 ?

Is 8Gb SSD ok for Openelec with a 2,000 item library?

Win7 and heavy skins like AEON MQ4 i would still be confident with the C1037U.
but you'd need at least a 32GB SSD like i have in my win7 HTPC.
despite the rumours of space, 32GB is enough for XBMC + win7.

As for OpenELEC, yes, 8GB SSD is enough for anything.
its a really tempting box to get the fanless X-26 i must say,
looks like a winner finally emerges!

as for controlling it, i dont care about IR anymore,
i always control my HTPC via WiFi using the YATSE app for my android phone,,,
Once you try it u can't go back!! Problem solved for me!! Can't use anything else!!

And i think that the fanless X-26 is capable of WakeOnLAN so,,,
if YATSE app can Wake it via WiFi, man, best HTPC in the world!!
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
X-26 Cheap NUC Variant3