Audio Lower from xbmc than other media players
First of all guys I am sorry if this has already been discussed. I searched and could not find anything on it.

My problem is that audio being played in xbmc is a lot lower than if I use another media player such as itunes or media monkey or winamp etc. All the media player pull the same files from the same location that xbmc uses. I have my htpc connected to an Onkyo receiver (not sure of the model). xbmc is running on an old dell desktop computer with windows xp professional.

An example is if I am listening to a song using media monkey and have my onkyo volume set and 34 I have to set the volume to like 40 or 42 to have the same loudness / sound from xbmc.

Anyone know what might be going on?

Thanks in advanace!
Listen carefully, it's better quality.

There are tools in XBMC audio OSD section for increasing the volume beyond baseline and you can set this for all.
Hey PatK. Thanks for the reply. I have tried this and the volume is still not right. I just put my volume on 38 on my receiver and played simple man by lynyrd skynyrd using xbmc. I then tried the same song using itunes and had to turn the volume down because it was too loud. I have been trying to figure this out for months.
How is your HTPC connected to your receiver (HDMI, Analog, TOSLink, Coax, etc?) When you play the file in Winamp for example, what does the display on the front of the receiver say as to the mode (Stereo, DTS, AC3, etc). When you play the same file in XBMC, does it put it into the exact same mode (Type, number of channels, etc?)
I am having the same issue guys. tried Analog, HDMI, and Coax Audio hookups to my receiver all with the same issue.
With XBMC 12.2 no issue. Volume set on my receiver at -45 and volume was quite loud.

with the latest Nightly, I need to crank the volume to -30 and its still quite.
When switch over to another audio input, say for TV. -30 shakes the house.
Same problem.
i've never had that issue,XBMC 12.2,Ubuntu 12.04.
Im running an ancient M-Audio sound card connected via RCA to a pair of vintage analogue Nad amps,the volume settings are at 50%.
I do expect a volume shift if Im going from say Mazzy Star to My Bloody Valentine so I just use the +- keys to compensate.

-
I am connected through analog (also tried hdmi). Settings on the receiver are exactly the same with all media players. I have used itunes and mediamonkey and those both sound great and the volume is like it should be. With xbmc I have tried everything and the volume still gives me issues. Not sure what else to try. Anyone out there with any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks!
Anyone found a solution for this yet?
This solved it for me:
http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=10515
(2013-08-21, 02:33)pmdaniels73 Wrote: Hey PatK. Thanks for the reply. I have tried this and the volume is still not right. I just put my volume on 38 on my receiver and played simple man by lynyrd skynyrd using xbmc. I then tried the same song using itunes and had to turn the volume down because it was too loud. I have been trying to figure this out for months.

If you're strictly talking about music, try experimenting with the ReplayGain settings found in XBMC's music settings->playback. They do something, even if you haven't applied RG to your files.

I have it set to:
- ReplayGained= 101 dB (this is for my mp3's, which all have RG)
- Non-ReplayGained= 86 dB (this is for streamed radio stations, which have no RG)

My volume is now pretty even all around.

For movies that don't use passthrough, you can set a slider in the OSD (audio menu while playing a file).
(2014-04-10, 10:21)WeirdH Wrote: For movies that don't use passthrough, you can set a slider in the OSD (audio menu while playing a file).

Is there a way of making this permanent?
(2013-08-20, 23:27)pmdaniels73 Wrote: First of all guys I am sorry if this has already been discussed. I searched and could not find anything on it.

My problem is that audio being played in xbmc is a lot lower than if I use another media player such as itunes or media monkey or winamp etc. All the media player pull the same files from the same location that xbmc uses. I have my htpc connected to an Onkyo receiver (not sure of the model). xbmc is running on an old dell desktop computer with windows xp professional.

An example is if I am listening to a song using media monkey and have my onkyo volume set and 34 I have to set the volume to like 40 or 42 to have the same loudness / sound from xbmc.

Anyone know what might be going on?

Thanks in advanace!

I had this issue too, not only lower volume but the sound output of xbmc sounds a lot less full and dynamic than output than say iTunes.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=180994
iTunes better quality than XBMC, I think not as it only uses Directsound for audio output and has the reputation of being one of the worst quality players on Windows.
My experience is (somehow) with Gotham the volume level went pretty much down... I have enabled passthrough now, and the volume levels are back to normal. Most codecs seem to be supported by my receiver, you need to check on that first.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio Lower from xbmc than other media players0