[UPnP] AVI files not listed on TV
Sad 
I added all my AVI, MP4 and MKV files to the library and then connected to the UPnP server with my SONY Bravia TV, but for some reason only MP4 files are shown. AVI and MKV files are totally ignored (as if they didn't exist). I can play them correct in the Windows client, but the idea is to watch them on the TV via Ethernet.

I tried Serviio and it does show and play AVI and MKV, but subtitles are small and non-configurable. Any ideas on how to get AVI (divx) and MKV files to show on the TV? The model is KDL 32EX655.

ANY cooperation will be really appreciated. The TV itself can play DivX and MP4 content directly via USB, so this is not a codec issue -- I understand that XBMC never implemented transcoding.

Thanks!!
XBMC does not transcode files on the fly. If the files do not show up on the TV when browsing XBMCs UPnP server, then your TV does not support those file types. Serviio transcodes on the fly. That is why you can see and play them back. It is a container and codec issue despite what you think.
Hmm... no. The AVI file is played on the TV when connected via an USB flash drive, and with Serviio with transcoding disabled. So it's not a codec issue at all. It's simply XBMC failure to send those AVI files properly to the TV.

I think that XBMC is not sending the content types properly to the TV. This is not a cheap or generic TV at all, so I think someone should double-check why this isn't working and how to properly list the AVI files. If I had a generic, unbranded chinese TV set, this would be understandable, but this is not the case.

I really don't want to stay with the dumb, clumsy and limited Serviio (which will work only for 15 days). Will the log file help you track this issue?
you could try a Gotham nightly build and see if that functions better with upnp
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-08-21, 17:07)Inuya5ha Wrote: Hmm... no. The AVI file is played on the TV when connected via an USB flash drive, and with Serviio with transcoding disabled. So it's not a codec issue at all. It's simply XBMC failure to send those AVI files properly to the TV.

Wrong, it's quite normal for TV's to play a greater number of files types and codecs via USB than DLNA, you need to check the documentation for your TV for what DLNA supports. Even with transcoding off Serviio maybe changing the file description to pretend it's a file that is officially supported via DLNA.
Both nightly from yesterday and Gotham alpha 6 versions show the program hanged and totally non-responsive. Not to mention that closing or minimizing it is a mission impossible when in fullscreen. There is no .log file created in any subdir as well. Maybe nightly and alpha versions should force the creation of the log file (because I think it was disabled when I tried version 12). Rolleyes

(2013-08-21, 22:01)jjd-uk Wrote: Even with transcoding off Serviio maybe changing the file description to pretend it's a file that is officially supported via DLNA.

And XBMC, in order to reach more users, should do exactly the same.

Thanks for the help anyway, in case someone has a working solution, I'm suscribed to email notifications for this topic. Sleepy
creating a log is never disabled.
but if you are running windows XP it might indeed be a problem. So far Vista/win7/8 should have no issues at all.

Quote:(because I think it was disabled when I tried version 12)
what version are you using then? 11.0
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-08-21, 22:01)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2013-08-21, 17:07)Inuya5ha Wrote: Hmm... no. The AVI file is played on the TV when connected via an USB flash drive, and with Serviio with transcoding disabled. So it's not a codec issue at all. It's simply XBMC failure to send those AVI files properly to the TV.

Wrong, it's quite normal for TV's to play a greater number of files types and codecs via USB than DLNA, you need to check the documentation for your TV for what DLNA supports. Even with transcoding off Serviio maybe changing the file description to pretend it's a file that is officially supported via DLNA.

This is espically true with Sony TVs of which I have 2. What is playable by USB is not the same as via ethernet. Why I do not know. One would figure it would use the same playback engine for everything, but that is not the case.

I used Serviio in the past. I did not realize it is no longer free. That is the software I would have suggested.
(2013-08-21, 23:03)Inuya5ha Wrote: Both nightly from yesterday and Gotham alpha 6 versions show the program hanged and totally non-responsive. Not to mention that closing or minimizing it is a mission impossible when in fullscreen. There is no .log file created in any subdir as well. Maybe nightly and alpha versions should force the creation of the log file (because I think it was disabled when I tried version 12). Rolleyes

(2013-08-21, 22:01)jjd-uk Wrote: Even with transcoding off Serviio maybe changing the file description to pretend it's a file that is officially supported via DLNA.

And XBMC, in order to reach more users, should do exactly the same.

Thanks for the help anyway, in case someone has a working solution, I'm suscribed to email notifications for this topic. Sleepy

The outcome of this if successful should hopefully help in these situations, in the meantime have you simply tried giving a couple of avi files a mp4 extension and then seeing what happens?
Renaming them might work, but I'm not interested in wasting more time renaming each file from my library, I already have enough work with downloading, renaming and testing the subtitle files for each one (because my native language is spanish). Thanks anyway for the suggestion.
WOW i just thought it was me! Even thru openelec xbmc i wondered y half of my movies were not even showing up under xbmc? I have mkv, mp4, m4v, avi's and a few more and a lot of my over 600 movies did not show up when i added a source thru smb, or afp! Is there a reason? Im on an original apple tv 1 w openelec installed to the harddrive...
Sounds like you are talking about something different. This thread is about files not showing up on other devices when sharing them with XBMCs UPnP feature.
Sorry kricker u r correct, wrong stuff!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[UPnP] AVI files not listed on TV0