EPG:Timeline and Program Info Themes
OK guys, I love this skin and just got the pvr thing going 2 weeks ago. I'm sure you've noticed that in EPG: Timeline mode, nothing happens when you hit enter. You're supposed to get a dialog box that gives program info, add timer, and switch (to channel). Ace is missing that xml file and the textures that go with it. Also, it could use an updated and an easier to see EPG.

UPDATE: I modded the current EPG and Program Info dialog box. I kept it very simple because I've never done this. My main things I was going for were simple layout (that used screen real estate efficiently) and large display for smaller tvs.

Here is the zip file that contains four files (custom_textures.xbt, DialogPVRGuideInfo.xml, MyPVR.xml, & ViewsLiveTV.xml)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1857...PG_MOD.rar

Here's the process to get it working: ***ADVICE: You should save the original XML files before replacing them with the modded ones***

1. Unzip the files and put the 3 XML files in the 720p folder, should be /storage/.xbmc/addons/skin.ace/720p (on openelec, if you are running any other system, you have to figure out the folder path because its probably different)

2. Put the custom_textures.xbt in the media folder /storage/.xbmc/addons/skin.ace/media

3. Reboot XBMC

4. Go to SETTINGS - APPEARANCE - THEME and enter the little triangle until you see Custom_Textures as a theme and stop. **Wait a few seconds and it will load. Don't worry, custom xbt files will not mess with any other parts of the skin. XBMC will only use the new textures (images) you assigned to it.

5. Done. You should be able to go in and see the new EPG timeline and also finally pull up a dialog box.

Here's the new EPG (remember, i made it bigger for a reason)

Here's the dialog box.
Good work fella! How about sacrificing 2 more lines in the EPG to make the info box bigger and less cramped? Wink
Thanks LeeG, its funny you say that, my first thoughts before i started messing with it, was losing one or two of the channel columns at the bottom to give more room for the info at the top. I found it extremely easier to just lower the position of the grid, however, I still might try losing a line from the grid.

Regarding Font size of the info box, I'm actually using 22-font for the show name and times and 20 for the Plot. Just to give you perspective, the font inside the grid is 18, so i did up the size a little. I have a 60" and of course its great on that. The real test will be trying it out on my bedroom 32". Without this modded theme, the grid is already a bit hard to see on my 32". I'm going to check out what this modded theme will look like on that tv.

This morning I found a nice blue tv-guide focus overlay(its the highlight image) from another skin's epg images that I liked. I'm hoping to add the blue hightlight so to give it some color. If i do it correctly, referring to my above post, the 201 and 30 Rock (when selected), for example, will have a blue glass look. I'm also thinking of completely adding a different background (as of now, its just the standard one that ACE has) and a colored info box at top. However, everything is just baby steps for me, since I'm not really familiar with this, i do one modification at a time and reboot to see results. Blush

Oh and after i took the screenshot, I resized the highlighted overlay to fit the grid correctly. If you notice, at least in my ACE version which I think is the last build, the highlight of "30 Rock" is larger than actual rectangle on the grid. That was pretty simple.

Fyi, i have not uploaded anything relating to the EPG since i'm still messing with it.
No rush, take your time. I look forward to using it when it's done.
Next job: DialogPVRChannelsOSD.xml Wink
What do you think needs to be done to the DialogPVRChannelsOSD.xml? I ask, because i did enlarge the font on that dialog also, just forgot to mention that change on the post. Is there something else you think needing change?
DialogPVRChannelsOSD.xml is the channels list that pops up over fullscreen Live TV so you can select a different channel.
oh, I think I was getting that confused with the channels list file.
so, what's wrong with it?is it currently broken?
Not broken but needs more focus on the channel content rather than channel name. Perhaps leave the channel icon and replace the text for the channel name with the current programme and underneath whats on next.
I finally got home and see what your saying. Perhaps reducing channel list from 8 to 7 then maybe increasing the font.

btw, i did manage to reduce the epg timeline grid from 10 to 8. What's your thoughts on where the info box for the timeline should be. Some put the info at the bottom, while some put it at the top.
Personally I feel the Info box should be at the bottom as the eye will naturally scan the EPG timeline first and then look at the programme info as "supplementary" info secondly. Blacks Xperience1080 has the perfect EPG Timeline in my opinion. However for the channels list OSD, im85288's Mod Xperience1080++ is nearly there: Now/Next and an info box.

Speaking as someone who is using XBMC as a primary source for live tv, it's important for me to reduce the number of clicks to get extra programme info onscreen as the Spouse finds it easy to get off focus with the interface and start throwing the remote if she has to start pressing extra buttons to find out what programme content she's looking for.
Hey LeeG
As per your advice, I moved the info box below the timeline. I took 2 channel rows away and reduced the time from 3 hours on the screen to 2 hours. I did this in order to increase the font where needed. I'm using the 32" tv for my worse case scenario screen. That's about as small as it can go if I don't want to squint.

Any other thoughts?
looks good m8. get the modified xml up for us to give it a test. I'm sure others can offer improvements. It won't be long you'll be designing your own skins Wink
Wow, thanks for the compliment. I'm not sure I, nor my wife, have the patience for creating a new skin : )
When I get a chance, I'll zip the files for the theme and upload them. Definitely would love to hear of any improvements afeter upload.
OK, i cleaned up the first post and uploaded the newest files. Check it out. Remember, I wasn't on a quest to making the newest latest and greatest mod, just wanted something to function for myself (and others that want simple and easy layouts).

If you notice something wrong, like a title name not fitting on the info box below the grid, don't hesitate to let me know.

Hope to hear feedback.
Good news, new layout looks great on my laptop running win 7 and frodo 12.2.
Bad new, same files crash my main media centre when selecting the EPG running ubuntu & frodo 12.2. I've tried isolating which files are causing it seems to be the livetv views xml. No idea why it's doing this seeing as its exactly the same files on my laptop. I'm stumped. I hope someone else tries them out to confirm that they are fine and that it's my setup causing the issue. :/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
EPG:Timeline and Program Info Themes0