scraping... when dvd order is not dvd order...
Some background first...

From my box set, i have ripped my Stargate SG-1 Season 1 episodes from my 5 DVD's to mkv format which results in 21 files using the following file name convention, where each episode number and episode title within the file name agrees with the information printed on the DVD cases themselves and also agrees within the episode menu order and title name when viewing each DVD. So the list of file names ripped for season 1 is as follows:

Code:
Stargate SG1 S1E1 - Children of the Gods
Stargate SG1 S1E2 - The Enemy Within
Stargate SG1 S1E3 - Emancipation
Stargate SG1 S1E4 - The Broca Divide
Stargate SG1 S1E5 - The First Commandment
Stargate SG1 S1E6 - Cold Lazarus
Stargate SG1 S1E7 - The Nox
Stargate SG1 S1E8 - Brief Candle
Stargate SG1 S1E9 - Thor's Hammer
Stargate SG1 S1E10 - The Torment of Tantalus
Stargate SG1 S1E11 - Bloodlines
Stargate SG1 S1E12 - Fire and Water
Stargate SG1 S1E13 - Hathor
Stargate SG1 S1E14 - Singularity
Stargate SG1 S1E15 - Cor-Ai
Stargate SG1 S1E16 - Enigma
Stargate SG1 S1E17 - Solitudes
Stargate SG1 S1E18 - Tin Man
Stargate SG1 S1E19 - There But For the Grace of God    
Stargate SG1 S1E20 - Politics
Stargate SG1 S1E21 - Within the Serpent's Grasp

However the above episode order does not seem to agree with the order as defined on www.tvdb.com which obviously is the cause of some scraping issues i am seeing. It is also worthy noting that the first pilot episode was a double episode and listed as 2 entries on www.thetvdb.com which further compounds my scraping issues. And by scraping issues i mean the scraping outcome results in the wrong meta data being associated with my episodes.

So the DVD order on www.thetvdb.com is not the same as on my box set while the aired order is the same as my box set but with the exception that the pilot episode is defined in two parts on www.thetvdb.com but as one episode on my box set and thus causes a scraping offset issue. Oddly www.imdb.com seems to agree with the order defined on my box set and does not have the pilot episode split into two entries...

So with reference to my files above, which i see as the correct episode order for my box set, i've also listed the DVD episode order and Aired order according to www.thetvdb.com:

Code:
DVD   Aired Filename
order order  
1     1&2   Stargate SG1 S1E1 - Children of the Gods
2     3     Stargate SG1 S1E2 - The Enemy Within
3     4     Stargate SG1 S1E3 - Emancipation
4     5     Stargate SG1 S1E4 - The Broca Divide
5     6     Stargate SG1 S1E5 - The First Commandment
7     7     Stargate SG1 S1E6 - Cold Lazarus*
12    8     Stargate SG1 S1E7 - The Nox
6     9     Stargate SG1 S1E8 - Brief Candle*
8     10    Stargate SG1 S1E9 - Thor's Hammer
9     11    Stargate SG1 S1E10 - The Torment of Tantalus
10    12    Stargate SG1 S1E11 - Bloodlines
11    13    Stargate SG1 S1E12 - Fire and Water
13    14    Stargate SG1 S1E13 - Hathor
15    15    Stargate SG1 S1E14 - Singularity
14    16    Stargate SG1 S1E15 - Cor-Ai
16    17    Stargate SG1 S1E16 - Enigma
18    18    Stargate SG1 S1E17 - Solitudes
17    19    Stargate SG1 S1E18 - Tin Man
19    20    Stargate SG1 S1E19 - There But For the Grace of God    
20    21    Stargate SG1 S1E20 - Politics
21    22    Stargate SG1 S1E21 - Within the Serpent's Grasp

As can be observed, it's simple to rename the files to account for the offset from the first pilot episode and then to scrape using aired order but this seems wrong as the DVD order should be DVD order Confused

Question: Is it normal to see DVD box sets from different markets differ in their episode order, and if so, how does www.thetvdb.com account for this?

I plan to place my box set rips under the one "DVD series" directory, where each series lies within it's own sub directory structure, and the upper level directory is what i add to XBMC as the "source" using www.thetvdb.com as the (default) scraper of choice. Since i rip my own box sets, i want to set "dvd order" within the scraper settings at the upper level and not have to check/tweek each and every series rip but still have correct meta data scrapped Smile

Question: So what is best practice when ripping box sets and how do i effectively handle such scraping issues?

Cheers...

[edited to fix formatting of lists]
TheTVDB is occasionally dumb. There's nothing you can do about it, really. Sometimes the XEM scraper (which pulls info from TVDB) will give you additional episode order options.
ok so judging from the dates on this thread its pretty much dead but for anyone else that stumbles in to this problem it a easy fix. go in to the file folder where the episodes are and change the episode number to the correct one according to tvdb's website then tvdb scrapper within xbmc will scrape the correct info..... for example going with stargate sg1 (its the only one i had an issue with) originally i had

Stargate SG1 S1E2 - The Enemy Within
Stargate SG1 S1E3 - Emancipation
Stargate SG1 S1E4 - The Broca Divide
Stargate SG1 S1E5 - The First Commandment

so on and so on

the problem is that tvdb lists children of the gods as part one part two so when xbmc sees s1e1 and s1e2 it scraps children of the gods part one and then children of the gods part two instead of the dvd rip s1e1 children of the gods ( part one and two edited together as one long episode) and s1e2 the enemy within

so the correct way to label the episodes to fix this issue is as follows

Stargate SG1 S1E3 - The Enemy Within
Stargate SG1 S1E4 - Emancipation
Stargate SG1 S1E5 - The Broca Divide
Stargate SG1 S1E6 - The First Commandment

so on and so on

this apply's to any tv series where a two part episode on tv is replaced with a single long episode in a boxed set. hope this helps anyone else with this issue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
scraping... when dvd order is not dvd order...0