Should I upgrade my ATV2 from Eden to Frodo
Hi,

I have an ATV2 that is on apple firmware 4.1.1 (which i believe means 4.2.1) and it is running Eden. I have the blobs from when i jailbroke it way back in 2011 but I have not upgraded the apple firmeware since then. The ATV2 is connected to a TV with no other audio hardware (no receiver, no external speakers, etc).

I'm now thinking about upgrading my atv2 from eden to frodo because i'm thinking of getting another device to run xbmc in a bedroom (either a pi, an android device of some kind, or a nuc) and i'd like to attempt to setup a mysql database so that all devices in my house would have sync'd watched lists.

I also have a full blown htpc running frodo, this would be the host for the mysql database.

Now I have 3 questions:

1) Do all devices have to be running the same version of xbmc to share the same mysql library?

2) Will i have problems running frodo on apple firmware 4.2.1?

3) Will i have problems playing back files that have dolby digital, or aac, or dts tracks (remember I have only a plain tv with no external audio hardware).

If i'm better off staying on eden, I will do that and forget about the shared mysql database (it's not that big a deal really). Weather is broken (not a huge deal) and i'm thinking more things will start to break as things move forward and i'm still on eden.
1. Yes, more or less. See Version table (wiki), and basically each version you use needs to be using the same video DB version.

2. That should work

3. There is some regression with AAC transcoding, if I recall correctly. I don't believe it is an issue if you are just outputting plain stereo to your TV.

Backup your userdata (wiki) folder (or even the parent "xbmc" settings folder, to backup add-ons as well). Then you can go back and forth between the two versions, in case Frodo doesn't work out for your setup.
2) might give issues if you either use mysql or smb ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify what Memphiz is saying about might give issues if i use mysql or smb. Does that mean I might have issues if i use an EXTERNAL mysql database (putting the mysql database on the full blown htpc)?

I'm not worried about the smb because even tho I'm currently using SMB, I could install some software and switch to nfs if that works better.
Yes you will have crashes when using the mysql feature on ios < 4.3
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Should I upgrade my ATV2 from Eden to Frodo0