XBMCBuntu - New NVidia GT630 - HDMI - no audio device
Hi

Issue: No Audio - no audio device detected
System: Xbmxbuntu 12.20
Board: zotac ion itx
Card: nvidia gt630
driver: nvidia-experimental-310 ( no video with nvidia-current )

I just installed an pcie grafic card into my older ion board to see if that could help to improve the situation with some video stuttering I started to experience with some newer video files recently.
I deatctivated the onboard nvidia for video and hdmi audio.

The card is a newer model of the zotac gt630 so it should sport a kepler based chip.

I was not able to get into the gui of xbmc - only command line so I did a fresh install of xbmcbuntu 12.20.

Still no luck until I installed nvidia-experimental-310.
Now I do have video but no audio.

In the systems settings I've hdmi for video but 'error - no device detected' for audio.

Help would be highly appreciated.
Googling I found that I might need go update alsa-drivers...

So I tried:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install linux-alsa-driver-modules-$(uname -r)

Install fails as no matching package seems fo be found...
I have similar effect but with another hardware/xbmc version

I have a Shuttle XS35GT (ATOM 510/ION2) with XBMCbuntu Frodo 12.2. Audio works flawlessly with pass through HDMI but with the latest Gotham Alphas it says no Audio device found. The Audio selector is greyed-out in this case. Starting XBMC from within the XBMCbuntu Desktop enables sound again, without changing anything in XBMC.

Best Regards

Foo
ok... giving up...

tried:
- udating pulseaudio - didn't update as there doesn't seem to be a newer version (ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa)
- updating to nvidia-325 - still no audio device (paa:xorg-edgers/ppa)

I will remove the card and rather live with the stuttering of a few video files...
When upgrading next time I guess I will choose older hardware (1-2 years on the market)
pulseaudio is completely unused and unwanted on XBMCbuntu. Did you do any basic troubleshooting like aplay -l, aplay -L, cat /proc/asound etc?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-08-24, 08:35)nickr Wrote: pulseaudio is completely unused and unwanted on XBMCbuntu. Did you do any basic troubleshooting like aplay -l, aplay -L, cat /proc/asound etc?

I tried aplay -l and it listed no devices at all.

I'm a linux boon and did the best I can with research on google - problem ith beeing a boon is - often you do not know what to look for... I later also came to the conlusion the asa and pulse might not be used by xbmc (any more...) but was not sure...

I assume the zotac gt630 revision 2 is just too new... they switched from fermi to kepler with that revision and who knows what else changed...
I decided to wait a few month and try again with gotham... I will keep the card (outside my htpc Wink ) and live with onboard devices and the stuttering - will reencode the affcted files instead...
Use OpenELEC, it is exactly made for users, that just want to use xbmc on linux.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCBuntu - New NVidia GT630 - HDMI - no audio device0