Req Re-scan TV channels
Can somebody create a protocol so TV channels can be re-tuned? Every time my dad hears of new channels, he has to phone me up and I have to log into TVHeadend remotely to map the new services - and then he has to reset his EPG database to get them to actually show up. And sometimes they don't even show up then.

Ideally, we should make a menu item to scan for new channels directly from XBMC. Because the backend does this, I imagine XBMC will have to send some sort of request to the backend. If such a request doesn't exist yet, can we make a protocol standard for it?
this can be accomplished using the client specific menu hooks. I use this with vnsi for displaying the vdr ui in a dialog. there a user can trigger channel scan or add channels manually.
Okay, cool, but shouldn't this be built in to XBMC by now?
Consider the case that you want to scan for channels on a particular satellite. This has nothing in common with the IPTV addon. This functionality is client specific and XBMC provides all an addon needs for implementing this.
Yet no addon (that I've seen) has added a menu item in TV settings for rescanning. It doesn't matter if it's possible, what matters is that it actually gets done.

Do you know of any addons that have implemented this?
I'm in the process of coding something for my own PVR through the use of a hash mechanism. You can store a md5 hash (I use all the names of the channels listed to create the md5 hash). When you add/remove channels recreate the hash, then in the PVR have a thread that checks the hash file periodically. If there is a change your thread can invoke PVR->TriggerChannelUpdate().

I'll let you know how it works out for me.
(2013-08-25, 15:00)CJdamaster Wrote: Yet no addon (that I've seen) has added a menu item in TV settings for rescanning. It doesn't matter if it's possible, what matters is that it actually gets done.

Do you know of any addons that have implemented this?

As I already said, I have done this for VNSI. It displays the VDR UI inside XBMC where you access to all admin functions of the vdr backend.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1257872
Not bad - but why the change of UI format?

So perhaps we should add basic tool menus to each of the TV backend plugins as a pull request?
Its the UI of VDR which just gets rendered inside XBMC. I just wanted to show you that the addons can do this already without any need for changing the API. VDR can do a lot if you have access to the UI, channels scan, femon, all the plugins present their functions to the VDR ui. Would be silly duplicating this menus in the vnsi addon.

The capabilities of the backends differ, hence it belongs to the addon authors providing those features.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Re-scan TV channels0