Why is cooling technology so medieval?
Theres so many materials , phenomenon in nature and still where blowing air on a material to get rid of heat. Why hasn't there been advances in heat dissipation technology?
Because it's cheap. How many threads here are "cheapest build"?
This is kind of like asking why we use simple buttons that close and open a circuit. Sometimes simple is all you need :)

It does play with your head when you start thinking about it. It's everywhere. Technology that really hasn't changed in the last 100 years can be found in some of the latest "high tech" toys. It can even be greatly disappointing to find out how something works, and you're left going "wait, what? that's IT?! DO WE LIVE IN CAVES?!" :D

Also, there's are advancements for cooling. I believe it's even possible to do really neat stuff like remove the heat from a processor and convert it into energy to help off-set the power needed for the processor itself. It's just expensive and often not practical in many applications.
Do you think the fan will ever be elimiated from a high end cpu? seems like no manufacture has even tried to find an alternative.
Well they have, look at liquid cooled setups. Also power consumption is going down all the time, and power==heat
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks Ned I understand it better now. Maybe the race to get the most power left little room to improve the cooling methods so that prices can decrease for those methods.

Yeah where actually at the beginning of power effciency arn't we. Its funny how teechnology is improving but were devolving.

(2013-08-24, 03:48)nickr Wrote: Well they have, look at liquid cooled setups. Also power consumption is going down all the time, and power==heat

Do liquid cooling setups require a fan? they require a pump don't they? that still not the same. I want total silent
(2013-08-24, 03:03)MediaPi Wrote: Theres so many materials , phenomenon in nature and still where blowing air on a material to get rid of heat. Why hasn't there been advances in heat dissipation technology?

Wax Cooling: http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/08/sprinting/
Yeah I read that on Engadget but it's in pre alpha stage. It only works for a short time because once its melted its lost its ability to disspiate heat and needs to solidify before it can do it again. so it needs to integrate with a heatsink, which they haven't shown is doable, not even in concept from what I seen.
(2013-08-24, 03:48)nickr Wrote: Do liquid cooling setups require a fan? they require a pump don't they? that still not the same. I want total silent

Yes still need fans to cool the radiator
Liquid Cooling is far from being total silent...

Noctuca DH14 is silent, Scythe Big Shuriken 2 also....
Where thiers a big market then their would be advances. The consumers will lap up Haswell NUC's that are fanless (still not guaranteed they will be). This will be that big I believe that it will have a market of its own. Expect more manufatures to compete in the market
Take a large aquarium tank and fill it with mineral oil. Drop your PC into it (remove fans beforehand). There you go. Dead silent cooling.
Mineral oil is for pussies, real men use LHe and talk in a squeaky voice.
Odd that this got moved to off-topic? Cooling technology is definitely something HTPC builders obsess about o.O
(2013-08-27, 08:48)Ned Scott Wrote: Odd that this got moved to off-topic? Cooling technology is definitely something HTPC builders obsess about o.O

Maybe so, but this is the first mention of HTPC in this thread and XBMC never. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why is cooling technology so medieval?0