Need hardware with HDMI and Optical outputs
I am looking for hardware to run XBMC that has HDMI and Optical (S/PDIF) outputs. My Harmon Kardon receiver (AVR 412) doesn't support audio and video over HDMI so I HAVE to have hardware that can output video over HDMI and audio over optical. I've looked into the following options:

* Pivos XIOS DS - no optical output; otherwise, I would definitely go this route
* Lenovo Q190 - At $300 I might as well start looking at replacing my receiver; also, I already have a NAS and don't need the storage
* ATV2 (jailbroken) w/ XBMC - seems like a cost effective option... if I can find one

Any suggestions in the $100 range (or otherwise)? My backup plan is to bail on XBMC and go with a WD TV Live which has both HDMI and Optical outputs.
Revo r3710 second hand? Usb sound card from turtle beach?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Turtle beach sound card sounds like a great suggestion, but in looking at the specs it requires Windows in order to output digital sound. So, I guess this rules out the Pivos and would require me to have a HTPC with an HDMI output, right?
It will work on linux on x86 hardware. Don't know about linux on arm. Actually I'll plug a usb soundcard into an arm machine later and see what happens.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
This
sumvision-cyclone-android-x2

Sumvision Cyclone Android x2 Dual Core Smart Media player with standard remote

Specifications

CPU - ARM CORTEX A9 DUAL CORE, 1500MHz, 3D engine
RAM - 1GB
Google Play pre-installed
4GB Flash memory (expandable using SD/SDHC card)
Inputs - 4x USB port, SDHC slot
Outputs - HDMI, AV, component, optical port, coaxial port
LAN - RJ45 and Wi-Fi 802.11n 150Mbps
Video Output - 1080P
Android- 4.1

another member mentioned this box and said it runs 1080p no problem

Not sure if you can get it for america for the sale price of £59
Nick-

From the Turtle Beach Micro II page:

Quote:This digital connection lets you enjoy DVD or streaming digital movies on your Mac or PC in high-quality, pure digital format. By installing an optional driver, the digital output can also send Dolby® Digital or DTS™ surround sound as an encoded digital audio stream to your home theater system. (NOTE: This feature is only available on the Windows platform.)

It seems that if I buy Pivos + TB Micro 2 I will get "digital output", but not Dolby Digital or DTS. So basically, no surround sound, right?!
Pivos are meant to have new hardware in the next few weeks, its meant to be something seical, I woudn't recommend buying a pivos till then
Thoughts on the G-Box Midnight MX2? According to the specs it has HDMI and optical outputs, and runs XMBC. This might be a winner.
http://www.linuxplained.com/hd-playback-...nd-card-2/

The micro ii device will pass through DTS and AC3. on x86 anyway, I don't know about arm
Was just googling for the same thing. Stumbled across the Cubox-i which comes in a few different flavours. You can only pre-order at this stage but their site says pre-orders start shipping by the end of November. http://cubox-i.com/
FYI, another approach would be to purchase any device with HDMI and then use this HDMI/Optical audio extractor. I'm using it with both Raspbmc and Chromecast because my receiver doesn't have HDMI. Costs about $45 shipped, but it works perfectly:
http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium-Aud...+extractor

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need hardware with HDMI and Optical outputs0