ATV1200 versions and Bluetimes MX5
Hello everybody.

First of all, I'd like to mention that I already own iMito MX1 but I've never been able to watch 720p or 1080p files through XBMC.
All Rockchip devices have problems so far, so the safer way is AmLogic devices.
I have narrowed it down to these two: ATV1200 and Bluetimes MX5. Quite similar on specs.

I just finished reading the ATV1200 93-page thread and I am rather confused regarding the firmware and XBMC versions compination for flawless playback of 720p or 1080p sources. Most of the people are saying that geniatech fw is better than mygiga fw yet on this page they are all using mygiga fw.
In addition, no one has said something about the latest geniatech fw (the one with the retro launcher).
I have also noticed that there are three different versions of ATV1200. Mygiga, Geniatech and Sumvision.
Which one do you think is the safest choice?

On the other hand, even though the seller has sold about 1200 units of MX5 so far, I haven't found any single forum with information or user opinions and other stuff for this player. The only thing I know is that both units have almost the same hardware specifications. If any owner here, please share your experience.

I know that all android player have flaws and none of them would be perfect. Both above units are quite close to what I need.
Smooth 720p (90% of my files are 720p 5.1 but I wouldn't say no to 1080p) through XBMC (NAS, SMB, WEB) and 5.1 audio through optical or coaxial cable.

Please share your opinions.
Thank you!

P.S. I was about to forget my question Smile. Is there a MAME addon so I can play my favourite games, like Tetris or Shadow Dancer, through XMBC?
Hi!

I've just bought an MX5 and let me tell you that it works quite fine, but it is just my experience. People from http://foro.androidpc.es/showthread.php?tid=1044 (an spanish comunity) are experiencing serius issues with this box, probably due to a poor quality NAND used during essambling.

If I could be of any help, please let me know! Also, people from androidpc.es handle english very well and can give you answers.

Cheers!

Nicolas.
Wink 
Hi, I just got the Sumvision ATV1200 version the other day and so far it plays everything i throw at it 720p / 1080p MKV with DD/DTS out the optical to my Denon Amp. Love it, the firmware is Geniatech 20130805 and I think it has the xbmc-XIOS-012913 on there. I have a share (SMB) from my laptop with a 350GB Library running through my router.

I too was skeptical whether it would all work but it does and I'm glad because my PS3 was getting too hot being left on...

Hope this helps...
Thank you both guys!

Necu, I will use google translate to post this thread there.
Here, the experienced users or the owners of the 93-page thread of ATV1200 are snubbing us.
I hope for a more helpful community there.
Let me ask you some things though.
Have you ever had any problem with the device?
What firmware and XBMC version are you using?
I do not have any crazy demands. Just smooth 720p and 5.1 audio.
Is the device OK for these?

xz316, I think your answer makes it quite clear for me.
But I will wait for Necu's answer, cos' there is a 25$ difference!
I'd like to ask a few things too. Does the device come pre-rooted?
Do you use wi-fi or ethernet? Some fellas said that there was a problem with ethernet.
Any other tricky stuff or something I should have in mind?

Thanks again!
Hi, not sure about root i flashed it in recovery mode (hold reset button when power on) and i use Ethernet, no probs with conection.

Hope it helps, i think i read somewhere that someone is compiling a Linux build of XBMC for the ATV1200, no android needed.
(2013-08-27, 23:57)sakis Wrote: Thank you both guys!

Necu, I will use google translate to post this thread there.
Here, the experienced users or the owners of the 93-page thread of ATV1200 are snubbing us.
I hope for a more helpful community there.
Let me ask you some things though.
Have you ever had any problem with the device?
What firmware and XBMC version are you using?
I do not have any crazy demands. Just smooth 720p and 5.1 audio.
Is the device OK for these?

Let me answer you. This device has never given me any problem, but I have read differently. They recommend not to buy it!!
I'm using the latest not-chinese firmware (05082013 I think) and the Pivos Xbmc version. It plays almost anything I tested, 720p,1080p, all via smb/NFS over WiFi without any problems (~24fps). The only detail I have seen is a tiny a/v sync issue, but some xbmc versions minimize it.
I have not tested 5.1 yet because I don't have any Toslink/optic cable, but i've read that it can handle it using passtrough.

I hope I've helped you!

Necu.
I have the atv1200 and it is absolutely solid. It plays 720 and 1080 perfectly.

Its the MyGica one that I have. I'm in the UK and bought it from a UK seller on their website futeko.co.uk.

I'm using the firmware that comes with it (geniatech i think) and I'm using the xbmc app made by pivos (its the pivos nightly available on their forum). My firmware updates itself when a new one is available so i have the very latest one, with the metro launcher and it works fine. I actually unninstalled the launcher though because its not possible to tailer it, so when i want to launch android apps, its to many clicks with the metro launcher. Only problem I've had is when the firmware updates to a new version every 2 months-ish, it wipes out all the apps and re-installs them including xbmc. its a pain in the ass but the xbmc backup addon is great so it only takes me 30 minutes to get xbmc back to the way i like it (using the ccm skin and with all my chosen addons, and my library etc).

Its a great box and ive researched a lot of boxes.

edit: the firmware i am using is v1.03.04mx01_20130805 (available here but it auto-updates anyway so link probably not required: http://www.geniatech.com/news/dual-core-...elease.asp)
and the xbmc app i am using is xbmc 12.2 git:20130813-915ea5b (compiled 28 aug 2013) (available in the 2nd post here: http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2967)
Thanks all of you guys, you' ve been very helpful.

Necu, I think I will go for ATV1200. From all I have read, it seems safer choice.

Thebear, I am glad you showed up here.
On the other thread you were quite active.
First of all, since xz316 is not sure, does the device come rooted?
Also, do I need a dropbox account for xbmc backup?
And one last thing if you will.
Ebay sellers have the version with the mini usb port on the back.
On the link I gave above from aliexpress, the photos do not show a mini usb port.
Do you happen to know which model is newer?
why not try MX
720p, 1080P no any issues.
A few of us have been talking about the Mygica atv520 here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=170791 . It runs identical firmware as the atv1200. They have identical hardware except the atv1200 has a few more ports on the back (I think composite out and maybe optical audio?) vs the more limited atv520. YMMV but lots of people are reporting good performance.

EDIT: yes looks like the atv1200 has optical so that's obviously your choice.
(2013-09-02, 19:53)saddie Wrote: EDIT: yes looks like the atv1200 has optical so that's obviously your choice.

Yep.
But today no8080 had issues with the sound output.
If it turns out that optical or coaxial causes a problem then I might go for 520.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV1200 versions and Bluetimes MX50