First HTPC
I am looking to build my first HTPC for watching movies, listening to music and playing some older along with newer video games. I would like to spend around $400 but if I need to go over that I am willing to. I already have a copy of Windows 7. I was thinking about going with the Intel i3-3245 processor but wanted to make sure that is enough to run intensive games such as Assassin's Creed. I have a 250 gb 2.5" hard drive from my macbook pro but was wondering if I should get a SSD for my OS and an external drive to store all of my content. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
my opinion separate a gaming pc from htpc.

for htpc use a ssd or thumb drive for storage to reduce noise and power consumption.
build a nas for future growth insted of using local storage.
get a small system like nuc, pi, ouya or atv.

build a separate gaming rig.
יונתן בן-חיים
I would much rather combine both the htpc and the gaming pc. I will be mostly playing older console games such as N64 and PS1 but would like to be able to play newer games as well. I was wondering if I could do this with an i3 with an integrated graphics chip or if I should get a better processor or separate graphics chip.
The i3 would be fine for what you described.
I have an i3 Lenova laptop that does exactly what you described.

Don't get too hung up with the whole "noise" thing.
For the most part,..a well built HTPC won't have very little if any noise at all.
Generally speaking,..even a little noise is not even heard since most people don't have a sound proof room.
And when you watch a movie, or listen to music, that overcomes any noise a fan inside a case might make.

Take a look at my signature for my builds. I used a Cooler Master GeminII M4 - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes and this thing is silent.

I would not recommend a USB thumb drive for storage. Generally speaking, they are too slow.
If you do go with an SSD, don't use it for storage,...use it only for the OS.

An external eSATA drive would be fine,...but even better would be an unRaid server. Don't be intimidated by the word server,...it's actually easier to built and maintain than the HTPC.
Will an i3-3245 run Assassin's Creed (from OP's first post)? Honest question.
Gortwillsaveus I was looking at your a6 build. Is that powerful enough to run assassins creed.
(2013-08-29, 14:36)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Will an i3-3245 run Assassin's Creed (from OP's first post)? Honest question.

Yes: http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.p...0Creed%203

(2013-08-29, 14:44)jcohen9591 Wrote: Gortwillsaveus I was looking at your a6 build. Is that powerful enough to run assassins creed.

Yes,...see above link.

What you have to remember is that these games will throttle themselves based on the system they're being played on.
I know there's a lot of desire for hard-core gamers to run at the top screen resolution,..but in all truth,..even throttled,..most would never see or care about the difference.

One game I play has AWESOME shadow effects.
One day I turned it off,..and after a week,..I totally forgot about it,..still enjoyed the game regardless.
Will it run well enough to play on a 37" 1080p tv?
(2013-08-29, 16:14)jcohen9591 Wrote: Will it run well enough to play on a 37" 1080p tv?

Most definitely,...I have a 42" and it's awesome.
I was looking at the a8 3850 because it's not much more. Is there a reason I shouldn't get it? I can't tell if it comes with an integrated graphics card?
I see it does come with the integrated graphics card so I'm going to go with that chip. I was wondering does it come with wifi or do I need a separate chip and do I need a sound card or will my tv sound work through the hdmi? Also do I need anything else to hook up a remote. Haven't decided on one yet but was wondering about Bluetooth or an infrared receiver. Thanks in advance. If you can't tell this is my first fully built computer. I've only done part replacements on old ones.
The wifi would come from the motherboard, so check there.
Sounds would pass through the HDMI to your TV or sound system.
There are some motherboards with blutooth built in.

and nothing wrong with getting the A8
Thanks for all the help. Could you direct me to a motherboard that is compatible with Bluetooth and wifi built in with as many usb slots as possible. I was looking at the motherboard you used in your a6 build but it doesn't look like it includes Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
(2013-08-29, 22:16)jcohen9591 Wrote: Thanks for all the help. Could you direct me to a motherboard that is compatible with Bluetooth and wifi built in with as many usb slots as possible. I was looking at the motherboard you used in your a6 build but it doesn't look like it includes Wi-Fi or Bluetooth

You could get the Gigabyte GA-F2A85XM-D3H AMD Socket FM2 A85X (Hudson D4) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Motherboard and while it doesn't have integrated Bluetooth, it does have tons of USB ports. As for the Blutooth,...do what I did and order one of these: Kinivo BTD-400 Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapter
Does that motherboard include Wi-Fi? I don't see it listed

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC0