Emulation HTPC Build help
Hi All,

I'm in the process of getting a parts list together for my first HTPC build. My first build at all actually!
I'm stuck working out what I'll need, as there are tons of forums and guides, but none which address my requirements that i have found.

Here's what I need it to do:
- Be quiet. Will be in the living room in home theater setup. Therefore, should also be a nice looking case.
- Play emulator games. PS2, Gamecube, Dreamcast and below. Note, i don't intend to play any modern PC games - I hear Hyperspin may be the way to go with this...
- Run all media i throw at it - ie. 1080p movies, Blu-Ray playback (optional), all my music etc. through XBMC.
- Be quick. Just want to hit the on button, load quickly into XBMC from startup, and configure my iPhone/other remote to have control from there

From the research i've done, i've put together the following as a list of what i might need.
- Case: Silverstone GD05 Black HTPC Case with USB 3.0
- CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K LGA1155 ------ Would something like i3 3220 suffice?
- MBO: ASUS P8B75-M-LX Motherboard
- RAM: G.Skill Ares F3-1600C9D-8GAO 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 ------- Would 4GB Suffice?
- PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 500W Black Edition
- SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD Retail Box
- HDD: Western Digital WD Green 3TB WD30EZRX
- Optical: LG CH12LS28 Blu-Ray DVD Combo Drive ----- Optional. Dont use blu-ray now. Just thinking ahead.
- GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX660 Ti WF2 2GB ---- NecessaryHuh Not sure...

So here's what i need to know:
- Will all this stuff fit in the case?
- Will it all be compatible?
- Do i need it all to run what i'm planning to?
- Is there anything i'm missing?

I will be running Windows 7 64-bit, as i hear it's best for emulators, and was hoping to use my existing PS3 controller, but will look into getting a XBOX 360 wireless one if it's easier for key mapping.

I have seen a lot of simpler systems in lifehacker articles and whirlpool forums that suggest i may not need this level of specs, but from what i hear, PS2 and Gamecube emulation is quite CPU intensive.
If it's going overboard, please let me know too!!!

Any advice you guys can offer will be hugely appreciated, as i've been going back and forth over this for a few weeks now and am ready to get moving!

Thanks in advance!
I have a very similar build and specs.. Silverstone (Silver case), i5-3570K, 8GB Ram, 120GB Vertex 4 SSD, Seasonic 460W Fanless PSU, XFX HD7850 double fan model GPU.
I put a fan controller in to adjust the case fans
I use the X360 wireless controller for emulators as it's XBMC compatible too, and use the Pokopom pad plugin for your emulators, pre-mapped buttons. (N64, PS1,DC)
The reason for the double fan XFX 7850 is that it was the quietest 7850 on test (from some hardware comparison site..) - difficult availability in Oz

Consider putting all your content on another computer ieConfusederver. I have my ISO/Roms and movies on a small server so there's no spinning drives, vibration, heat etc.
Because once you build one XBMC box, you'll want (need!) to build another for another room in the house... one location for content...!
The HTPC needs to be connected to the network to be able to do that of course! Mine is hard wired, no flaky wi-fi

Get a fanless PSU. The Silverstone has enough fans to move the air around.
I used the Scythe Shuriken CPU Fan - because i have a DVD ROM drive and it fits underneath. If you use any other fan the DVD/BR drive won't fit ! Have a search around there's a few forums about the Silverstone and Scythe htpc combo (with pics!)

I believe there's a Cooler Master low profile cooler around too.. not sure of the model, but looks similar to the Scythe... i think it's the GeminII M4 ?

Hyperspin doesn't support widescreen at the moment.. you can get some images through Advanced Launcher scraper.. use Aeon Nox skin (MQ too?) and it looks like the DVD library under Videos.. with MAME it looks best with InfoWall view.
Use ArcadeHITS scraper for Mame, use theGamesDB for the rest (to get Fanart on a lot of games) and then the other scrapers to fill any gaps..

Look at Angelcry's Advanced Launcher Wiki to show you the command lines and tricks for setting up all the emulators under XBMC..

Get yourself a $2 bluetooth dongle and a compatible Wii remote and you can play Wii Emulator (Dolphin) on this box too...
I've got a very similar build. I wouldn't worry about the k version of the CPU, overclocking and small cases don't go well together. My 3570 plays ps2 games such as gt4 and shadow of the colossus at high frame rates. The gpu is overkill for emulators only - it doesnt take much to pump out ps2 era graphics. I have a gtx660ti and it plays current games at 1080p at high frame rates and high detail, so you can probably cut back on the GPU. Look into whether the inbuilt GPUs in Intel CPUs are up to the task of pcsx2 maybe get a has well based CPU with their improved gpu's. I'd stick with 8gb or ram as opposed to 4. Also, my 5900 rpm HDD is the loudest part in my build with 8 fans, what speed is the one you've selected?
Xbox 360 controller is easy to setup in windows and a lot if emulators have presets for it. Never used a ps3 controller with windows.

Oh and the led power light flashes when suspended on Asus motherboards - that enough is to put me off them and choose gigabyte - their power LEDs stay off when suspended.
Thanks for the feedback so far.
I'll definitely look into changing for 8GB RAM.
Although, I'm still undecided about CPU. Been looking between i5 3570 vs. i3 3225. While i know the i5 is quad-core and better for gaming in general, from the information I've been able to gather, emulators don't utilize much in the way of core split. Therefore, would the 3225 do the job?
Trying to keep costs down where I can here. It looks like the on-board graphics of both of these CPUs should allow me to go without a GPU in which case.

Ill definitely look into a fanless PSU - thanks for that.
As far as the information I have found leads me to believe, the WD Green 2TB HDD is relatively quiet, compared to say the Seagate Barracuda which runs around 7200rpm. Will probably be in the realms of the 5900rpm mark.
Good call on the LED indicator of ASUS board. I hadn't thought of that. The only Gigabyte one I've been able to find to suit is the GA-H77-D3H-MVP Motherboard and GA-Z77X-UD3H Motherboard, which are both proper ATX sizes. Will this be an issue for size of the case? Could it be substituted for something like a ASRock B75M-DGS-R2 Motherboard?
Dolphin and pscx2 both use 2 cores so its better to get a faster dual core than a slower quad core (I think pcsx2 may be able to use more but only with software rendering) but I dont know how a i3 compares to a i5... maybe better to ask on a emulation forum. If youre going to go with inbuilt gpu I'd wait fr intels haswell which is just around the corner.

For comparison, I fit a full sized atx Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H into a Silverstone LC20. Its really tight in the case, and probably one of the trickiest builds Ive done. If the case says it fits a atx board it will fit - its the GPU's and CPU coolers (maybe psu too)you have to worry about.
Make sure you get a modular PSU too ! So you don't have a wad of cables bunched up!
A 500W PSU is overkill,..and the i3 would suffice.
i3-3245 or wait a week for the i3-4330.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Ok so I've adjusted the specs and this is what I'm thinking.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4570 LGA1150
MBO: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H LGA1150 Motherboard
Case: Silverstone GD05 Black HTPC - I really like this case!
RAM: G.Skill Ares F3-1600C9D-8GAO 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
PSU: Seasonic P-400 Fanless Platinum 400W V2
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO Series 120GB SSD
HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB - Apparently these run at around 5400rpm - Would there be any issues with reading? Fast enough?
Cooling: Scythe Shuriken Low Profile Cooler Rev B - NecessaryHuh Intel standard CPU too loud?

Any feedback about the above is very much welcomed.
Still not sure about i3 vs. i5... Emulation forums tend to indicate the bigger the better, but no comparison between say i3 3225 and i5 3570.
I've put i5 4570 on LGA 1150 above as it rates with Intel HD 4600 Graphics as standard. Would this eliminate the need for a GPU?

Also, any differences between LGA 1150 and LGA 1155 CPU and MBO?

Thanks in advance!
When can we come around for a play?

LGA 1155 outdated - keep to the current stuff.
HDD is fast enough. My server is mainly Green drives. You'll only notice a difference when copying over large files.
If you are gaming more than watching, try it with the stock Intel fan, and see if it annoys you/too loud etc., THEN buy another fan.
My comment for the Scythe is that if you want a DVD/BR Drive, it won't fit with the stock fan. I chose it for silent AND space requirement.

For your GPU comment - if you want to do proper gaming, you'll need a GPU. Intel will be okay for MAME / older emulators.
If price is an issue, then try it without a GPU and see what impacts it makes. But when your PS2 emulator is grinding on 15 frames per second, you'll know where the issue is Smile
Haha Digital Vortex you're welcome anytime!!!

Thanks for the feedback.
A lot of differences in opinions out there. Some are saying that the LGA 1155 sets are tried and tested to perfection, and the newer stuff can/may have issues. Others like yourself are suggesting to stick with the new stuff.

As far as I can tell for the HDD then, the only issue will be merging my existing movies and games over to it. If it takes several hours than so be it, so long as it will do it without data loss / overheating etc.

Proper gaming wont be done- wife wont have any further use for me LOL. Strictly emulators at the most. PS2... I'm not even really playing on now, but I guess if I'm spend $1k+ on a build, I can't justify doing it just to have what I have now - iMac i3 current model something something blah blah snore....

GPU is a fair call. I suppose I can give it a shot as is, as most of the reports on the integrated graphics of the 4570 are good. So long as it can handle the emulator games and 1080p movies that will be the main use for the machine.

Any recommendations for GPU if needed? Clearly doesn't need to be anything as advanced as my original plan GTX 660 Ti...
(2013-08-29, 03:32)Dvsolid1 Wrote: I will be running Windows 7 64-bit, as i hear it's best for emulators, and was hoping to use my existing PS3 controller, but will look into getting a XBOX 360 wireless one if it's easier for key mapping.

Have you done much research on this yet? I stopped using Windows altogether about 6 months ago, but I was fairly impressed with Scarlet.Crush's driver at the time (you can find it on the PCSX2 forum if you're not already familiar). It worked much better than motioninjoy and overall seemed much less shady. As it simply emulates a wireless 360 controller, there shouldn't be much difference in how well they work with keymapping either.For what it's worth, It also seems to work better than the best option I've found on linux, qtsixa, although that probably has something to do with the fact that qtsixa hasn't seen any active development in a couple years.

Also, I think the 360 controller's d-pad is absolutely terrible for older games. I have two of the wireless adapters and I haven't bothered using them in ages, even at times when I was having trouble setting up the sixaxis controllers.
Again, go for the GPU Free option and see if you need it.

If serious gaming is not done, it's really hard to recommend something, because you get what you pay for. I've repurposed old computers and threw in HD5450 for <$30 - just to give the old computer a HDMI port to get the sound out and one cable option. And if the new motherboard comes with a HDMI then that idea would be $30 out the window..

I would look to Tom's Hardware with a price figure you want to spend, and look at his "Best GPU for the Money" article that gets updated regularly. Problem for me is I always want the card in the next price up category.. and then the next one... hehe

But before you get bogged down with more info, your two undecideds - the gpu and the fan - can easily been added/done after it's up and running.

The wife will not approve of a single large purchase, so you have to stealth upgrade/add components.. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Emulation HTPC Build help0