Req Recently added - display only what tvshows, not single episodes
hi,

Got a complaint from the other folks living under my roof that they had missed episodes because i had cluttered the recently added on the home page with several seasons of a show.

It would be cool to be able to do one of the two following ideas:

1.If multiple episodes from the same show appear in the recently added they could be grouped together (only using one slot)

2. Add a new view that display recently added shows (not single episodes)
You may be able to do something with smart playlists (wiki) to display TV shows or episodes added within a certain time period. And if your skin supports it, you can even add a main menu shortcut that will launch your smart playlist.
or use a skin like arctic or xeebo or countless others that support the skin widgets addon which can show ongoing tv shows.
Im talking about the the recently added that are displayed on the Home screen in vanilla xbmc (Confluence).

I know there are workarounds and im not asking for help on how to solve it but im trying to post a request for improvement of the standard functionality.

I love smart playlists but there are some problems related to them and they are not always the best answers for these kind of things.
(2013-08-30, 16:14)furii Wrote: or use a skin like arctic or xeebo or countless others that support the skin widgets addon which can show ongoing tv shows.

Thanks you put me on the right track in order to group episodes from the same show together with the use of services.skin.widgets.

Got surprised when Confluence didnt use this service (why not?) so i made changes to Services.Skin.Widgets (grouping episodes from same season) and edited IncludesHomeRecentlyAdded.xml to use values from the mentioned service.

one drawback is that you have to fetch more items from the database (from 20 to 60) in order to compensate for the grouping. Im also using fanart which can be intensive on small system but this is a WIP sp ill tweak it to use poster art instead later.

If anyone are interested in this fix please let me know Smile

http://i.imgur.com/uNPDdT6.jpg
Yes, its true that it would be nice that when an entire new TV Series is added to XBMC that some how these episodes are filtered out of the standard 'Recently Added' items.

At the moment, if using the 'Skin Widgets' AddOn, Recently Added has the following option setting:
- Only Unplayed and Unfinished

I guess if "Only in Progress" was also added as an option then it would mean all the episodes from a new TV Show wouldnt appear, and would mostly solve the problem you mention. I have raised it in the relevant thread here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=142389&page=51

About your mention of a having a new 'recently added tv shows list', for me I have an 'Unwatched TV Shows' list that mostly performs this same function, since if an entire TV Show is unwatched, probably its also newly added too.

I can also suggest the CCM - Confluence Customizable Mod Skin (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=160184). It retains the look and feel of Confluence whilst adding a lot of useful features, including some that might help with this problem (it utilises the 'Skin Widgets' AddOn already)

It also has the 'Recommended / Suggested Episodes' functionality of the Skin Widgets Addon built in. In this case you could use this instead of 'Recently Added'.

Suggested Episodes (I call it next episodes) only displays the Next UnWatched Episode from a TV Series that is already 'In Progress'.

In this case none of the episodes from an entire newly added series would clutter this list, since that new TV Show is not yet In Progress.

Hope this helps Smile

(2013-09-01, 12:54)texaco Wrote: Thanks you put me on the right track in order to group episodes from the same show together with the use of services.skin.widgets.

If anyone are interested in this fix please let me know Smile

http://i.imgur.com/uNPDdT6.jpg
This grouping looks like a good option for some people too. Im interested, can you please PM me? Thanks Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
The two included links is the full code for the changes done in services.skin.widgets and how to use the new values in Confluence.
The IncludesHomeRecently may have other style changes i have done but it should basicly explain what needs to be altered in order to have functional grouping in Recently added episodes

Changes done in services.skin.widgets:
http://tny.cz/5ea2eb9d

Changes done in Confluence: IncludesHomeRecentlyAdded.xml
http://tny.cz/83a3950b
Any news regarding this work? im currently implementing this feature again on my local installation after upgrading to Gotham and would be nice to hear if anyone has experimented further with the code from the previous post? Smile
just a +1 to this. I was about to open a new thread. All I want is for TV Shows->Recently Added to just show the *shows* to which new episodes have been added, rather than each new episode. A "Group by TV Show" option maybe? A would be nice, but certainly not worth setting up a new skin for when there's no other reason I'd want the new skin (and they always seem to cause more issues than they're worth).
Did you get a solution to this problem Rachel?
(2016-01-15, 14:06)HAWKSRL Wrote: Did you get a solution to this problem Rachel?

nope
I'm equally frustrated, loads of tv shows that I'd like to see on my home screen but instead loads of episodes for just the one show, surely theres a way to group them?!
I've heard changing the skin might solve the issue?
I have just started looking into Video_Nodes (wiki) and Smart_Playlists (wiki) and created a video node that list TV shows that have recently added episodes.

This is not what I ideally wanted but it somewhat works.

save the following as a xml file and put it in the library/video folder Video_Nodes (wiki) - for exact location
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<node order="5" type="filter">
        <label>(custom) Recently added episodes</label>
        <content>tvshows</content>
        <icon>DefaultRecentlyAddedEpisodes.png</icon>
        <order direction="descending">dateadded</order>
        <match>one</match>
        <limit>12</limit>
        <rule field="playcount" operator="is">
                <value>0</value>
        </rule>
        <rule field="inprogress" operator="true">
                <value>|NONE|</value>
        </rule>
</node>

you may need to edit to fit your needs!

order=”5” -- is the order in that the node will appear in
<lable> -- what it will show up as
<icon> -- what the icon is(Default recently added episode icon)
<limit> -- how many results to show(remove line to have no limit)

**EDIT**
changed code
Exclamation 
Hi

I've forked service.skin.widgets on github and I'm going to look into coding these options into it.

I'm no github guru yet but I *think* that hopefully once I make some progress, my version of the widget will be downloadable as a zip file directly from github and users can install it via Kodi Addons' Install from zip file method.

If you're still interested, pop in a reply to this thread with some motivating message and we'll see how we go Smile

pd

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recently added - display only what tvshows, not single episodes0