Req Audio/Video Setup on First Start - Simplifying Settings
Video 
It seems many of the problems users have with XBMC is getting the AUDIO/VIDEO settings set correctly. This doesn't exclude myself. I've spent hours upon hours checking and unchecking boxes to see how it affects performance. It's interesting to me how it seems that things like audio settings can drastically affect the playback of high quality video files. I enjoy tinkering with these things but can see how the average home theater buff looking to try out XBMC for the first time could be turned off....

The point: I wish there was a high-quality video clip with high-definition audio - a sample clip - that you could choose to play upon first loading of XBMC. After the clip played, it would pop up a dialog box, asking "was this clip displayed correctly", and change the settings accordingly.

Example: my system is rather old, but XBMC plays HD files exceptionally well. However, it doesn't play HD Audio without stuttering. I've learned that this is a limitation of my hardware. In this instance, the video would play, but would be choppy. I would answer "Yes, but not smooth" and it would try standard Dolby Digital or DTS Audio. Then the video would play again with HD audio disabled, but would play smoothly. I would then know the problem lies within the audio settings.

Maybe this is all a bit too convoluted to carry out efficiently, but could definitely help those who get frustrated with XBMC and give up too quickly before realizing it's potential.
A lot of audio stuff is being ripped out and replaced, and replaced with much smarter default settings. The way v12 Frodo was handled for audio was something no one on the team was happy about. Things fell apart, and various internal things happened, and it is what it is.

So just to let you know, we hear you on this :)

Future versions will be a dramatic improvement for default settings and making it easier to set up other stuff. There even is some talk about possibly doing some kind of test audio like you describe.
Sounds great. XBMC is an amazing piece of software that brings everything together. I highly recommend it to my friends/family, but what it takes to get it set up to it's full potential is entirely different on each machine it's installed on. Looking forward to future releases! Thank y'all for your hard work!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio/Video Setup on First Start - Simplifying Settings0