How to disable the screen going blank when closing laptop lid
Hi

I have installed xmbcbuntu on a laptop directly connected to my TV. I want to me able to have the laptop lid closed and still run XBMC.

All the searching I have done has pointed me to the power options, or use gconf-editor or gconftool-2 to directly modify the lid_ac setting. I'm a Linux newbie but from what I understand xmbcbuntu has the minimal amount of things preinstalled just to run xbmc, so doesn't include the gnome power manager, so none of this works.

Is there any way for me to do this, or would I need to somehow install the power manager?

Thanks
Welcome to the XBMC forums.
  • Switch over to the XBMCbuntu desktop and launch the Synaptic Package Manager (located in System Tools on Start menu)
  • Search for the package xfce4-power-manager and install it
  • Launch the Power Manager (located under Preferences) and tell it to go ahead and start it
  • Click the battery icon on the task bar on the lower-right of the screen to open the power manager settings
  • Set your preference to do nothing when the laptop lid is closed
Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

I installed the power manager and set it up, but the screen it still going blank when shutting the laptop lid.

I'm connected to my TV via HDMI and configured the nvidia tool just to use the TV and not the laptop screen. As soon as I shut the lid the TV comes up with a message saying it lost the signal. Wondering if this would somehow be a different setting in regards to output through the HDMI?

Thanks
I am having the same issue with the new Gotham Release of XBMCBuntu. The Synaptic Package Manage does not seem to launch either. Any other ideas?
Also seem to have this issue. Laptop insists on suspending when the lid is closed, and the package installer will not work. Have tried editing numerous power configuration files in terminal with no luck. I know its not the laptop since it would let me close the lid and continue running in windows.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to disable the screen going blank when closing laptop lid0