Solved Passthrough resize problem
Hey guys,

I'll cut to the chase, I've got xbmc running in windows connected by HDMI to a 5.1 receiver and then another HDMI out to the TV. Everything works fine except for this one problem.
I can airplay music to xbmc while the TV is off and the music still plays (as it should), however if I then turn on the TV it does this: Link to screenshot
I have to remote desktop in, close and then re-open XBMC for it to return to full screen. Additionally all sound stops playing when the TV turns on. Once XBMC has restarted everything works fine again. I can even turn the TV off and music will continue playing through the receiver, but if I turn the TV back on, same problem.
Any ideas?

Sollution
Code:
The pin 19 trick, thanks to jjd-uk and jhhoffma

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1426172
I have a similar issue but it only happens if I turn on the PC while the TV is off. (Except that I use true fullscreen rather than fullscreen window and thus the whole display gets limited to 1024x768.) I'm assuming XBMC has an issue determining what the resolution SHOULD be using since it can't communicate to the TV. I wonder if there's a way to force it to 1080p by default?

Maybe something like this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/...87330.aspx
(Force Windows to assume a specific EDID.)
Thank you for the reply. I had a look at the document but got totally confused and feel a bit out of my depth. Surely this is an XBMC bug?
Yes and no. The issue is that Windows gets a list of supported resolutions from the EDID. When your TV is off, it can no longer get this information so it defaults to a standard and widely supported low resolution. When the TV turns back on, Windows again sees the EDID and readjusts. That's why you can create a false EDID and enforce it at all times.

But, when Windows redetects the EDID and readjusts itself, apps tend to not follow suit. XBMC is not exempt from that. XBMC needs a feature that keeps track of supported resolutions in general and adjust accordingly. Perhaps XBMC should get a feature that it pulls the EDID on the fly and just adjusts to the highest supported resolution and audio settings (and keep records of settings modified PER EDID in case you need a custom config (like in my setup where my receiver supports DTS-HD but my GPU doesn't have enough bandwidth to actually push DTS-HD to the receiver.)
Thank you for the reply, that's a very good explanation.

Did you manage to fox this problem using ther previous link you sent me? If so, can you send me the files you used. I tried having a look again, but got totally lost.

Max
The Pin 19 trick may solve this.

See

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=159644

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1426172
Here's what I did to fix a similar issue of Windows changing resolution when the TV was off.

1- Turn off TV.
2- Remote into your machine.
3- Quit XBMC.
4- In the Windows display properties, set the resolution to what it should be when the TV is on.
5- Reboot the machine (because it's Windows, so a reboot is always in order).

Once I did that, then my Windows machine and XBMC always maintained the correct resolution whether the TV was on or off, even across reboots.
(2013-09-05, 01:22)pkscuot Wrote: Here's what I did to fix a similar issue of Windows changing resolution when the TV was off.

1- Turn off TV.
3- Quit XBMC.
4- In the Windows display properties, set the resolution to what it should be when the TV is on.

Once I did that, then my Windows machine and XBMC always maintained the correct resolution whether the TV was on or off, even across reboots.

When I try this I get the following message in display properties: "Display propertes cant be changed from a remote session".

Thanks though, but I'll try covering pin 19 this weekend and let you know how it goes.
(2013-09-05, 09:00)darksupernova Wrote:
(2013-09-05, 01:22)pkscuot Wrote: Here's what I did to fix a similar issue of Windows changing resolution when the TV was off.

1- Turn off TV.
3- Quit XBMC.

When I try this I get the following message in display properties: "Display propertes cant be changed from a remote session".

Thanks though, but I'll try covering pin 19 this weekend and let you know how it goes.
I'm assuming you RDP'd in. Use something else like logmein, teamviewer, or VNC that doesn't create a "remote" display.
(2013-09-06, 17:10)ivanmmj Wrote: I'm assuming you RDP'd in. Use something else like logmein, teamviewer, or VNC that doesn't create a "remote" display.

Good shout - I'll give that a shot.

Also, I tried true fullscreen as a opposed to windowed fullscreen, and whilst XBMC maintained fullscreen (hoorah!) there was no sound and then it crashed!
The pin-19 trick solved it!! Just covered pin 19 with some electrical tape and now the computer always outputs at 1080p! Additionally, when I turn the TV on/off he sounds doesn't mess up for a few seconds while it adjusts...because it doesn't need to!
Mine didn't work but I think the tape got moved when I was plugging it in. I need to redo it.
You have to make sure the tape goes quite deep inside the plug, then fold it right over the top to hold it in place.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Passthrough resize problem0