Mini LCD display/VFD for basic info/navigation
Hello everyone, I'm new here and it's my first post!

I've made quite a few XBMC systems here and there, but soon I plan to make a dedicated system as part of my AV system for XBMC. I find the UI to be great on the screen/monitor out but I want to take it a step further. I'm looking to have XBMC running in a box around the size of a Hi-Fi separate, and whether it would be based on Windows PC hardware, a Raspberry Pi or anything else, is not confirmed yet but I am attracted to the idea of a PC since I reckon it would be the most flexible and powerful.

I want to have a monitor out feed (HDMI) on the back of the unit for video which is simple enough (acting like a regular XBMC install on any other PC) but I want to have a small screen on the front of the unit itself too. Ideally, I would want the screen to be a TFT/LCD screen rather than a VFD (unless I can get a pretty big VFD with about 5 rows) so I can control the interface of the media centre without using the monitor out. The purpose of this would be for dedicated music listening, without the use of a monitor. I would want a screen that can provide me with basic navigation of my XBMC library, along with displaying metadata of my FLAC files, i.e. track name / length / artist / album and artwork would be nice too... (obviously not with VFD)

Right, from my limited knowledge, I know that there are a few things such as Imon and lcdproc that may be able to assist me, but I'm still clueless, hence the registration here! I have never tried something this advanced before, but I guess I am pretty determined and willing to go quite far to get this working as I think the potential finished product could be astonishing. I have no idea how to configure this sort of display as an informational screen for XBMC to interact with, and I initially thought of just using a small LCD as a second screen output but it don't seem to be too ideal that way due to boot up processes etc.

I currently own the Pioneer N-50 network audio player / streamer and I guess I'm trying to recreate it with more functionality in terms of video playback and external monitor output (and a much bigger screen!)
In the future, I might even rip the N50 apart and mod it to run XBMC lol.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time
Buy an iPad or an Android tablet.. Wasting time on old tech is futile Smile
Hi everybody,
I'm interested too, I mainly use XBMC for music so not having to turn on the TV is a plus

I have a tablet but I think that a small monitor like the one I have on my set top box would be handy

so, suggestions?

tnx Alberto
More trouble than it's worth. Have Antec Micro Fusion case. You have to use XBMC to IMON to get it to work and a lot of the time it crashes. Have to reboot the whole computer sometimes, just to make it work again. I don't think they really make to many cases with the lcd anymore, not new ones anyway. Use the XBMC remote app on your phone or tablet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mini LCD display/VFD for basic info/navigation0