What kind of CPU is recommended?
Hi

In the hopefully-not-too-distant future I'm going to build a low powered, inexpensive HTPC and I was wondering is the £30 AMD A4-6300 APU up to the task of powering a HD DVR? I'll be honest, I haven't got a clue what kind of resources are necessary CPU/GPU-wise for this and would rather not go overboard on something that really only needs to stream online content, play blu-rays and stream games over LAN from a dedicated gaming PC elsewhere in the house.
you get what you put into it. I've had about 5 different setups. If you plan to do a lot with a $50 machine, expect it to have issues with something... often. If you put $200 in, expect less frustration and more functionally. If you are doing netflix, blu rays, and gaming... Expect some issues if you are going cheap.

Just a thought.
Well yeah, that's why I'm asking what people would recommend for something that has to encode/decode for Steam In-Home Streaming, and to function as a DVR for a dual TV Tuner PCI card. I'm not just out to build the cheapest thing you can call a HTPC, but at the same time I don't want to go overboard on something that is overkill.
A DVR (without transcoding) doesn't need much CPU -all its doing is writing the stream to disk. From what I've read steam IHS uses GPU decoding for streaming, so I'd make sure its compatible with the amd igpu.
For comparison, here is a dual core Atom D2550 1.86 GHz combined with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 610:

Ted
My blog
(2014-05-12, 03:30)heyted Wrote: For comparison, here is a dual core Atom D2550 1.86 GHz combined with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 610:

I wouldn't have an issue with that level of performance, and the A4 should be better than the Atom here. So just IHS to look at. Thanks, guys Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What kind of CPU is recommended?0