WIP XBMC TableTop controller
Well, last week I was slightly bored and I needed something to do. So had a small idea - I am using XBMC as a media center software on my HTPC and I don't like pushing pause to see "where in the show I am". I also don't like the remote as much. So I designed this little thing as a quick project. It's a basic XBMC network controller at heard (although it's meant to work on a local machine). It has enough buttons to control most often used XBMC features and I am also in the process of modifying the software so it can interface with my home automation system. It has an LCD that basically shows what is currently playing and it's progress (with a nifty progress bar included).

This was a quick design and everything (circuit, software and the case) was done in three days. So forgive me if the case isn't the best looking one - I think it looks like some sort of weird industrial thing (or something from an old sci-fi movie). Part of the case also unstuck from the 3D printer while it was printing so it's a bit bent around the edges. At it's heart it has a custom arduino based circuit.

And when the XBMC is turned on and nothing is playing:

If anyone is interested in this - here is the source of the Java application (uses the JSON-RPC API and should be multiplatfrom although it's only been tested on the Mac OS), arduino source and the case design:
https://github.com/r00li/XBMC-TableTop-Controller
Quite impressive what you have made.
Why not use a cheap android tablet to do the same and more?
I am using a cheap tablet for my home automation project already: http://rhome.r00li.com
And that can already control the XBMC through the screen or the remote.

But this thing is different. It's way cheaper (about 30€) and it has a much faster response rate than an android tablet. You don't need to turn it on if you want to check the status/press pause. You also don't need to wait for the wifi to reconnect (which is often a problem for android remotes) and you don't need to charge it. This is basically an always there solution.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC TableTop controller0