Another newbie NAS question
I am going to build a NAS as cheap as I can. I have an old case I am going to reuse. I have picked the motherboard,CPU, and RAM.
I plan on buying two WD Red 3TB Drives.

My question is: I have an Old 5400 IDEA 120GB drive from an old computer.

If I used it for the O/S would that slow down the NAS or would that free up resources. If it won't hurt performance, I would like to use it to leave me more room on the other drives.
the OS drive will not slow down your system as far as NAS access but does waste a spot for a drive in the future.
I would suggest a system like unRaid that uses a thumb drive as the OS driveso you can add additional drives in the future.
יונתן בן-חיים
and with unRaid,..you can use any size drive you want.
If you´re gonna buy new WD Reds , why even thinking about reusing an old hdd? That old drive is probably 10 years old by now so throw it in the bin! You want uptime!
OK, guys thanks for the advice. I think the Unraid sounds like a good deal. I am just looking for any bargains that can help me with the cost. I guess I will forget about the 120GB drive.Have a good one.
A 120GB drive would make an excellent cache drive for unRaid. Just saying... Wink
(2013-09-04, 16:06)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: A 120GB drive would make an excellent cache drive for unRaid. Just saying... Wink

Yay for IDE-discs....Rolleyes

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Another newbie NAS question0