• 4(current)
CuBox-i a new possibility?
(2013-11-22, 14:59)joelbaby Wrote: Boxes running i.mx6 processors look very exciting for xbmc. It appears a lot of effort is being put in by the manufacturers to ensure strong developer support.
Look like wolfgar done a great job so far http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=161793 / http://stephan-rafin.net/blog/

But there is still no i.MX6 support in official XBMC mainline, and no patches submitted for iMX6 yet either, which I find a little worrying

(2013-11-22, 14:59)joelbaby Wrote: It will be interesting to see if Pivos new hardware is also based on this processor.
It won't, they already said in their forums that the new box(es?) that should be replacing Pivos Xios DS Player will also be Amlogic based

http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3714

Rumor is that Pivos will release both a Dual-Core / 1GB RAM stick and a Quad-Core / 2GB RAM box, both with Android only support
The CuBox seems to be the ideal product around, and it has a reasonable price point. I wanted to know if anyone has purchased one, and if so; what is it like, and is it worth getting?
They have only started posting them from yesterday, so you should expect to see some reviews shortly hopefully.
(2013-12-05, 19:21)nikotime Wrote: They have only started posting them from yesterday, so you should expect to see some reviews shortly hopefully.

Thanks. I thought they have been out for a bit, but I was mistaken. Look forward to hearing people's reviews.
(2013-12-05, 19:24)Dagger17 Wrote:
(2013-12-05, 19:21)nikotime Wrote: They have only started posting them from yesterday, so you should expect to see some reviews shortly hopefully.

Thanks. I thought they have been out for a bit, but I was mistaken. Look forward to hearing people's reviews.

Keep your eye on their forum: http://imx.solid-run.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=2
(2013-12-05, 23:05)nikotime Wrote:
(2013-12-05, 19:24)Dagger17 Wrote:

Keep your eye on their forum: http://imx.solid-run.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=2

Thanks for the link. It looks like most orders haven't been shipped yet.
That company concerns me. There is little to no support on the forum other than the mods who know very little. If thats how things are run good luck getting support.

Read through most of the threads and alot of customers continue to ask questions and are just told the devs are too busy. It only takes a couple of minutes to pop in and update people.

I did not see any images released from them and according to the forum boxes are shipping. Great, but do you have to develop your own images to use? I think i'm going to hold off for a while and see how active developers are.
As a heads up to anyone considering ordering a Cubox-i, I ordered one right after reading this thread mainly because rabeeh from SolidRun was right on top of it but that now seems like smoke and mirrors. Three months after taking my money, there's been zero communication from SolidRun on when my i2-ultra might ship other than now finding a vague comment on their web site that it will be shipping sometime AFTER Jan 14th. My posts to get an update on shipping dates on their forum (with obviously increasing frustration) simply get removed.

I am already a Wandboard Quad owner and Stephan's work on the platform is fantastic and the GeexBox work will no doubt be first rate too but these are primarily just hobbyist boxes and have risks too, ie CEC on the Wandboard is broken. It's faster then an RPi sure but right now there's a lot of unrealized potential. The ARM world moves fast and by the time these really ship you might be able to get a new fully working Pivos Tofu, the RK3188 might play nicely with the Gotham final or who knows maybe a nice Tegra 4 or Amlogic M802 box with full Android will be out.

Martin
Sometimes you just have to wonder what to believe and what is real.

The number of people that posted positive comments in this thread that have fewer then 10 posts and have joined in the last month or two really makes this entire thread feel like a shill put on by the company to sell more units.

It makes it tough for newbies like myself who want honest feedback on XBMC hardware.
(2013-12-06, 04:42)emveepee Wrote: As a heads up to anyone considering ordering a Cubox-i, I ordered one right after reading this thread mainly because rabeeh from SolidRun was right on top of it but that now seems like smoke and mirrors. Three months after taking my money, there's been zero communication from SolidRun on when my i2-ultra might ship other than now finding a vague comment on their web site that it will be shipping sometime AFTER Jan 14th. My posts to get an update on shipping dates on their forum (with obviously increasing frustration) simply get removed.

I am already a Wandboard Quad owner and Stephan's work on the platform is fantastic and the GeexBox work will no doubt be first rate too but these are primarily just hobbyist boxes and have risks too, ie CEC on the Wandboard is broken. It's faster then an RPi sure but right now there's a lot of unrealized potential. The ARM world moves fast and by the time these really ship you might be able to get a new fully working Pivos Tofu, the RK3188 might play nicely with the Gotham final or who knows maybe a nice Tegra 4 or Amlogic M802 box with full Android will be out.

Martin

I understand your frustation. I am a Cubox owner (the original Cubox) and I can't be more dissappointed. I only bought the Cubox to use it as a XBMC media player. The only project which gets updated is Geexbox, so I have installed tenths of versions since I have the Cubox hoping that the video decoding problems I suffer are fixed; but they aren't.

The big problem in the ARM world is support. Not from the final product builder, but from the SoC manufacturers. I've seen different ARM SoCs which have been supported by XBMC devs (Allwinner, Amlogic, Cubox's Marvel Armada, BCM2835 in the Raspberry Pi and several others via standard libstagefreight API) and the common feature is that video decoder is closed source and is not maintained: flaws which are not fixed, hardware features not implemented in sw libraries, etc. ARM system buildes, such as Solid Run, are just prisoner of SoC manufacturers, and there is nothing they can do or fix, they just rely on SoC manufacturers' intention to fix the flaws.

I've been looking for a replacement of my current ION build, and Cubox-i was one of the first options, but not anymore. When simple support questions are simply not answered (or the posts are just deleted) in the support forums, you realize that nothing will be fixed.

These people sells hardware, I won't say it is just smoke, but they just can't live up to the hype. For those who already paid for a Cubox-i, I hope to be mistaken this time.

Kind regards.
Thanks for the heads up emveepee.

I've been looking to replace my ION boxes with some lower power devices but even with the recent speed tweaks RPi just feels a little sluggish (even overclocked).

I already have 2x ODroid U2's sat gathering dust, as there is a problem with them handling 1080p so they aren't any use as I pump LiveTV though XBMC and most of my channels are HD.

I'd been considering the CuBox-i, but after reading some of their forum and seeing your post, I'm glad I didn't buy a couple yesterday since it would probably end up being another box sat on the shelf.

Hopefully a fast, linux based arm machine will come along soon that actually works out of the box with XBMC!
I personally think these devices could be a great platform for XBMC. Price point is right, hardware should be more than capable and should a lot better for skins. The work Stephan is doing is great, if he can work with them get this into mainline XBMC then there is no reason that this box couldn't be as popular as pi's.

Until they start shipping and get them in more dev's hands is a little early to rule them out - I really looking forward to getting one of these to start testing.
SOC integration is rather difficult in manufacturing and assembly so it's a good thing they did not ship an unproven and/or defective product. I rather they delay shipping than ship out a bad product. Not saying missing datelines is a good thing.
NUC D34010WYK, Wifi-BT 7260, G. Skill 8GB F3-1600C9S-8GRSL 1.35V, Yamaha RX-A1020, MyDigitalSSD 120GB
I think we will have to wait till someone gets one to see what it is actually like. It does look good, but it might not deliver. Time will tell.
(2013-12-06, 17:29)husky55 Wrote: SOC integration is rather difficult in manufacturing and assembly so it's a good thing they did not ship an unproven and/or defective product. I rather they delay shipping than ship out a bad product. Not saying missing datelines is a good thing.

Agreed 100% and as I pre-ordered the original Cubox I almost expected that. But in taking responsibility the company should also let the paying customers know about these delays, via their web site, forum, blog or the broadcast email they use for marketing from time to time. Instead the FAQ still says shipping end of Nov. and posts about shipping dates get deleted. I'm not here to go on about that just thought I'd let potential xbmc customers avoid rushing to buy this, its not like the i.mX86 will be supported in Gotham anyway.

Edit: rabeeh has since contacted me privately to discuss, it's amazing how much communication helps!

Martin
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CuBox-i a new possibility?5