• 11(current)
CuBox-i a new possibility?
(2014-04-17, 11:18)macrho Wrote: joelbaby - how are you running xbmc? geexbox? openelec?

I'm using geexbox. Openelec has been on development 'pause' for over 1 month with no new builds because they are focussing on releasing Openelec version 4 first. Geexbox has had many updates in that time.

I think the best builds to try are here: http://download.geexbox.org/snapshots/ge...es.cuboxi/
Also here: http://download.openbricks.org/cuboxi-emveepee/

If you are going to try lots of different builds, then use the XBMC Backup plugin. You can backup your configuration to an attached drive, and then restore it to the new build. That way you don't have to reinput your library every time.

Maybe your PVR problem is due to a previous problem displaying 1080i content. I ran a 1080i test file at 28Mpbs and it was fine.
Thanks joelbaby - I'm downloading one of the newest snapshots from geexbox and will get it installed this weekend
hopefully it'll run well, I'll report back
Can someone with the i4Pro try lanczos scaling with SD and 720p content?
Got my i4 and quite impressed with it, feels like XBMC running on PC, smooth fast and responsive.

The Geexbox build is quite stable too, I played most of my content and it didn't freak out or crash for something that is still in development. This could definitely be a contender for those looking for more power over the R-Pi.

They also have me a discount coupon if anyone want to snag it it's cubox-i-discount-3627

@radry I don't see lanczos scaling as an option in the settings only bilinear and nearest neighbour.
(2014-05-07, 21:49)radry Wrote: Can someone with the i4Pro try lanczos scaling with SD and 720p content?
I don't think that lanzcos scaling is available on any of the ARM platforms. It is not a project that is part of the scope of porting xbmc to cubox. It is more of a general xbmc development issue.
i4Pro so how is xbmc on it? for instance 1080p videos? i dont do super high bit rate i run mp4HD at 6000 bit rate and aac audio and mpeg2 videos 8000 bitrate with ac3 audio thanks for replys
(2014-05-22, 07:22)leo5111 Wrote: i4Pro so how is xbmc on it? for instance 1080p videos? i dont do super high bit rate i run mp4HD at 6000 bit rate and aac audio and mpeg2 videos 8000 bitrate with ac3 audio thanks for replys

Performance is very good it can play Blu-ray spec video so you shouldn't have any problems with those videos. The wiki has some specifications on the hardware decoder.
(2014-05-22, 15:37)Starstream Wrote:
(2014-05-22, 07:22)leo5111 Wrote: i4Pro so how is xbmc on it? for instance 1080p videos? i dont do super high bit rate i run mp4HD at 6000 bit rate and aac audio and mpeg2 videos 8000 bitrate with ac3 audio thanks for replys

Performance is very good it can play Blu-ray spec video so you shouldn't have any problems with those videos. The wiki has some specifications on the hardware decoder.
have you owned other android devices? just curious what you are comparing it to, EDIT 1 last question does this come with a media remote or remote of any kind? i have this http://www.amazon.com/Hausbell-H7-Wirele...s=hausbell will that work? thanks Tongue
i was wondering if you look at bottom says make sd card? http://download.geexbox.org/snapshots/ge...es.cuboxi/ i was looking at bottom looks like just a text file i havent got one yet but im trying to learn while i wait to get mine thanks Big Grin
I have an i4Pro, or rather I *had* an i4Pro, but I broke Rule 1. Rule 1 in electronics is, "Don't let the magic smoke out of the chips." I was just about to plug it in down in my office when the phone rang. Instead of plugging in the 5v@3A power brick, I plugged in a 12V@1A brick. I didn't see the smoke, but there was a certain odor in the air that wasn't me (I had just taken a shower!) so ... I think I let the smoke out. They suggested that I *might* have blown the 5V fuse, but this sucker is packed so tightly I have not been able to get to it.

Anywho, I'm borrowing a friend's LBB (Little Black Box, AKA Cubox-i4Pro) while my new one arrives from NewEgg (slightly better price and *much* faster shipping than from SolidRun in Tel Aviv), and I am currently running "OpenELEC devel-20140525162315-r18465-gff84181", which is running "XBMC Media Center 14.0-ALPHA1 Git:5ec51aa". I have a bunch of 1080p video that fell off a truck on the interwebs and it runs *great* -- no blips, no pauses, no artifacts -- on a new Samsung F6450 LED TV.

We are also playing with it with a full Ubuntu 14.04 desktop install and I'm *very* impressed with its responsiveness. Pretty much all of the ARM-based repository has worked out-of-the-box, so we may use another one (maybe something less than the i4Pro) as a general Linux server for backups, etc.

Note: since this is booting off a microSD card, get the fastest card you can. I'm currently using a SanDisk Extreme 16GB w/80 MBps read & 30MBps write. We are also playing with using the grub loader to boot off an external 1TB disk. I'll post when a) I'm sober, and b) we have it running.
i ordered my i4pro from Newegg, selected use will-call went and got it friday used win32 disk manager to load the image on a san disk extreme 16 gig, used g-parted live cd to resize the g-box partition to use the whole card, then installed latest g-box from here http://download.geexbox.org/snapshots/ge...es.cuboxi/ i like it so far no stuttering seems smooth but box seems pretty warm, so i will get a small little fan to blow a breeze on it to keep it cool ... Tongue
(2014-06-08, 03:26)leo5111 Wrote: , used g-parted live cd to resize the g-box partition to use the whole card,

I believe latest geexbox (and OpenELEC) builds auto resize the partition to fill the microsd card on the first run.
Hi, CuBox looks amazing and I hope XBMC will have an official version for it soon.
I'd like to ask whether it support bitstream HD audio track and auto refresh rate change to match FPS?
Thank you!
I had a opportunity to test my friends Cuboxi.

It does not bitstream TrueHD and DTS-MA. But they say it will.

Didnt test for true 24p.

The biggest problem is RGB banding (dark and white details cropped), So the picture is far from OK/good and I really dont recommend it before this is solved.
The same problem was with Intel HD graphics under linux... you can take a look into NUC haswell thread, but this was solved under OE by iminarry and fritch.
I have tested it with OE and geexbox.

Otherwise very fast resposive and impresive box (tested with aeon nox), and when RGB banding is solved this will be killer piece of hardware for XBMC usage.
So... I hope they will solve those problem fast and I mean it, or some other product will take the market.
(2014-06-17, 21:46)Crssi Wrote: I had a opportunity to test my friends Cuboxi.

It does not bitstream TrueHD and DTS-MA. But they say it will.

Didnt test for true 24p.

The biggest problem is RGB banding (dark and white details cropped), So the picture is far from OK/good and I really dont recommend it before this is solved.
The same problem was with Intel HD graphics under linux... you can take a look into NUC haswell thread, but this was solved under OE by iminarry and fritch.
I have tested it with OE and geexbox.

Otherwise very fast resposive and impresive box (tested with aeon nox), and when RGB banding is solved this will be killer piece of hardware for XBMC usage.
So... I hope they will solve those problem fast and I mean it, or some other product will take the market.

Hi, it seems that we have different definations of banding Smile
The video is not watchable when dark and white details are cropped. This happens when you output 0-255 but your display only accept 16-235, it is easy to spot and easy to fix.
When you output 16-135 to 0-255 display, you get washed black and white. However in reality it is far more complex. Some graphics card compress 0-255 to 16-235 when connecting to TV, and in this case the video should still be output as 0-255.
The issue with banding is less obvious to some people, but I can definately spot in some scenes. The banding is caused by luma expansion from video range 16-235 to computer range 0-255 (it can also be the other way around). See my blog of banding issue: http://sunmaiblog.wordpress.com/2010/10/...eo-output/
To solve the banding, you can either apply dithering (LAV and FFDShow support that) or 10bits output (so you don't lose precision). To avoid banding, the luma needs to be untouched in the process chain, which mean 16-235 all the way to the display. In the NUC thread I was asking whether Intel can output untouch 0-255 output with no luma expansion and let the display to clip the WTW and BTW (most display actually keeps WTW and instead compress the contrast).
I hope it makes sense Smile
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CuBox-i a new possibility?5