Game launching options
I have read for days and days about the many options to launch PC games via XBMC and am having trouble concerning which would be the most "seamless" and appliance like set up.

So far I have gathered -
- Steam Launcher, launches steam in big picture mode, can move around and select games inside
- Pros - pretty clean and seamless
- Cons - The reason I use xbmc is the rich fanart and customization, big picture kinda puts a damper on that

- Steambmc - from my understanding, scraping data inside xbmc and launching from there
- Pros - allows for more fanart
- Cons - still seems to be a WIP

- Advanced Launcher
- Pros - best use of fanart and cleanest looking on the xbmc side
- Cons - Seeing the desktop and opening windows as it makes the launch - not very applicance like

Does this about sum up the current options? Ideally I like the advanced launcher way if someone can give me a way to clean up the actual launch so that it looks a little more seamless

I also have non steam games but do not have a problem adding them to steam.
I can only speak for Advanced Launcher, as it's the only plugin I've used, and you've summed it up well.

Like all these things, probably best to install them and find out which one you enjoy.

Also, have you seen RetroPlayer? I'm pretty excited about that!
HTPC RPI3 Kodi 17 (Krypton) v8.0.1 MR
Storage BPI 1x 500GB SSD UPnP server
Display Sony Bravia 32"
Thanks for going easy with the cons Smile

I have replaced the windows shell with event ghost which auto starts xbmc, so the desktop is completely hidden. (You can switch to the full desktop if needed) I have a plain black wallpaper. Also setup auto login for windows.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ost_Method

I use these small dot mouse pointers, and have the mouse pointer moved to the bottom right corner on boot/when a emulator is closed via event ghost

http://www.rw-designer.com/cursor-set/smalldot

I have a registry file at home which will hide the login/logout wallpaper.

I remember reading that using link files with advanced launcher will hide command windows, but I don't know how this will work with launching steam games. You could try the launchhidden.vbs script in my addon, set it up as a emulator with the games executables being the roms., but I have never tried this. From emwory user fr500 has posted some scripts for launching steam games via AL.

Also if using a ssd install steam to it and keep your games on a HDD using a junction link, steam will start faster this way and the precious ssd space will not be used for 10+gb games. You can move individual games to the ssd if needed.
(2013-09-06, 01:10)teeedubb Wrote: Thanks for going easy with the cons Smile

Hey, when I've written something that others use, then I might have a (smidgen of) right to critique others work Wink

(2013-09-06, 01:10)teeedubb Wrote: I remember reading that using link files with advanced launcher will hide command windows, but I don't know how this will work with launching steam games. You could try the launchhidden.vbs script in my addon, set it up as a emulator with the games executables being the roms., but I have never tried this. From emwory user fr500 has posted some scripts for launching steam games via AL.
Exclusive Linux only user here, so don't know about configuring for MS.

I could have said, I've had Steam running through ALA too. But, since then I've reinstalled XBMC/Linux --in order to have a more seamless ALA experience, and don't currently have this configured. IF I remember correctly, on launching a Steam game, I get the "Launching <Game>" progress box, on top of XBMC, this would be acceptable for me any way.
HTPC RPI3 Kodi 17 (Krypton) v8.0.1 MR
Storage BPI 1x 500GB SSD UPnP server
Display Sony Bravia 32"
I've been pretty busy have have not had much time to toy with it. I was actually spending most of my time moving games to my NAS, which proved tedious with Uplay and Origin games. Steam only gave me a few issues here and there.

I have set up steam launcher and it's the most problem free way, big picture mode would be wonderful if it included fanart.

Also tried setting up advanced launcher using steam url links and some work, some get stuck, sometimes a game won't open properly. I like the way that this looks in the advanced launcher screen, especially since I am adding a dolphin launcher soon, but it needs to work.

I've mostly been battling focus issues lately, especially when reutrning from s3 sleep. I've read a few threads where people were having this issue with windows 8. I'm worried fixing the startup focus issues would break setups for focus during games if I set those up now.
I've used eventghost to restart xbmc after sleep, helped with xbmc not getting focus. You could try xbmc launcher or write a auto hot key script to give xbmc focus.
The two options in advancedsettings.xml help too:

<fullscreen>true</fullscreen>
<alwaysontop>yes</alwaysontop>
What about an hot key script that could be mapped to a harmony one on screen button? Not that I would have any clue as to how to actually do that, but I think it would be a good idea to keep things together.

I am actually using xbmc launcher and not having great luck with it. It worked great on my Windows 7 machine but still working through some setting on windows 8.
The steam launcher AHK script has a line that will give xbmc focus, you could try using that line and launching it via remote with eventghost.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Game launching options0