Win 8 or WHS 2011
While I'm waiting for my proliant server to get delivered I thought I might as well start thinking about what OS I should use. The server will be in my living room connected to my tv so it will be used as a client as well as a server for two other laptops, one desktop and 2 iphones in the house. I'd like it if it could also back up these machines as well as run sabnzbd, couchpotato, ect.

I've read good things about whs 2011 but is there a reason in particular why I should pick this over win 8? Just to clarify I use win 8 on my own personal machine and have no issues with it but I understand that the server will be used for a different purporse, so would it be better for me to stick with a typical server os?

Thanks
What did you decide on Phoenix123?

I've just received my HP server and am wondering what to put on it. WHS2011 or Windows 8 Pro.
I wont be installing XBMC on it, but will be using it to store all my media and will put mysql database on there to have one common database.
Well if you are going to be using other applications you install on this OS to manage your media and stream it etc like xbmc, then the underlying OS may matter that much. I'm not farimilar with WHS specifically, but assuming it's designed to offer features without a actual domain being present Id look at the features of the home server, if theres nothing specific you think you need I'd go with win8.

Also one thing to keep in mind if your using a non sever OS like Win8 is that they are normally limited to 10 client connections at one time, so if you are close to wanting to have 10+ devices talk to the server at once then you should consider a server OS, hopefully the WHS supports that like a real server OS would.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Win 8 or WHS 20110