Bluetooth remote for Android XBMC
I'm thinking of re-purposing my Nexus 4 with a broken screen to a portable XBMC setup but I need a Bluetooth remote

I'm thinking of either a tivo slide or a satechi Bluetooth remote
http://www.satechi.net/index.php/bluetoo...te-control

Will I be able to reconfigure most button like in Windows ?
Is there a way to get the key code in android ?
On the satechi will I be able to use the 4 button as directional button in android (up, down, left, right)

Any advice / experience / review ?
This model is intended for Android and this video shows more on how it works.

In presentation mode it works as a regular remote with d-pad and ok, the mute button is the back/return button, lastly the home button is the search button & the laser button is not mentioned. Those are standard Android buttons it's mapped to so nothing needs to be done however as they are tied to Android system functions I'm not so sure on overriding them but XBMC should be usable with those basic buttons.

There is an app which will give you key codes from Android, Google keytest.apk and that will do it.
Thanks, If I can remap the "Home" button to return and the "Mute" button to play/pause, I'd be very happy with that.
Though I doubt I can remap the android home button to anything other than Home.

Also does anyone know how reliable bluetooth is ? I'm planning to configure it on a working nexus 4 then transfer the nandroid to the broken nexus 4 but it would need to be 100% reliable to connect because the touch screen does not work.

Actually I found the key used in the different mode

In presentation mode, I should be able to remap the button to what I want, now I just need to know if it is reliable to connect
I would probably be able to force the connection with a NFC tag
Yeah I'm also someone who needs a play/pause button, the OK button bringing up the OSD to select pause is too slow for my taste.

You can remap the OK/select button to not bring up the OSD and instead pause/play by overriding XBMC's keyamp with a custom one, the keyamp.xml will need to be placed in the .xbmc\userdata\keymaps hidden folder stored on your device, use ES File Manager with show hidden files enabled to get to it.

Substitute 'return' for whatever the keytest.apk registers when you press OK and it might work below;
Code:
<keymap>
  <FullscreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
      <return>pause</return>
    </keyboard>
  </FullscreenVideo>
</keymap>

The slide which covers the other buttons on the remote may give you the means to call up the OSD without having to try and mess with the system back/search buttons.

As to bluetooth reliability I couldn't say I do have an Android TV device which has a bluetooth gamepad controller and it's pretty reliable but that may be cause it's tailored to that device.
I'd map it like my dlink remote, leave the OK button to enter, "Home" button to return, "Mute" button to play/pause
WiiMote , Because I'll bet your Wii hasn't been powered on in a year, if it's even still hooked up.
I don't have a Wii but, it seems nice
That's too bad. Pulling the B-trigger to select things sounds fun, but setting up a senor bar to use the remote as a mouse sounds even cooler!
Using an air mouse is terrible IMO, it's extremely uncomfortable especially with XBMC it's easier to just use a normal wireless mouse instead if that interests you.

@caddish if you get the remote please post your experience with it, I'm also interested in getting one.
Sure I'll post my experience if I get it
I'm using a wireless USB gamepad controller similar to PS3 controller to control XBMC which IMO works just great!
When I need mouse control I'm using a wireless USB mouse. Don't need a keyboard since typing with the gamepad is quite fast.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bluetooth remote for Android XBMC0