Time for a rescan of channels - best way please?
Hi,

As two or three new channels seem to have crept in since I set up my tv tuners, I now want to do a rescan in npvr. So, should I just do that, then see how it looks in xbmc and try to add/alter channels accordingly? (I have all my channels set up in a certain order, that makes sense to me, plus they all have logos).
Or - should I uninstall pvr from xbmc, sort out back end then reinstall front end?
It's a pity as everything is working Sad

Thanks for your thoughts!
Just go to NPVR setup and rescan your channels and configure the guide for them. After that is done XBMC should pickup the new channels the next time it connects to it. No need to uninstall the add-in or such.
Thanks - I won't do it today now as a few things set to record, but I'll report back on how it goes.
Well, I did a rescan in npvr - which was great as it only took a few seconds and just found the new channels (plus a few I had deselected) so I was able to just deselect the unwanted ones. I repeated that for the second tuner.
Then, in xbmc I went to the channel manager (as the guide did not reflect any changes) and found the new channels were in the list, so I re ordered them, and downloaded their logos into my logo folder and set the associations with the channels.

But - the changes did not show when I went to the guide. So, I did "reset the epg database" or some such, the result being that all my channel ordering was lost. I really prefer to have my channels come up in a certain order (in case anyone's interested, its all the BBC's, then ITV's, 4's then 5's, then the other stuff and news at the end). So, I reordered the channels again. But I can't get the new channels to show on the epg - tried restarting xbmc, and even the machine.

While I'm at it... the only channel logo I can't get to stick is 5* - I know they have to be named correctly to "stick" but I tried everything ie 5 Star, Five Star, 5, Five.
Anyway, I'm going to wait and see if eventually the other channels show up by themselves, I've a feeling they might.
(2013-09-10, 19:26)JohnyLondon Wrote: But - the changes did not show when I went to the guide. So, I did "reset the epg database" or some such, the result being that all my channel ordering was lost. I really prefer to have my channels come up in a certain order (in case anyone's interested, its all the BBC's, then ITV's, 4's then 5's, then the other stuff and news at the end). So, I reordered the channels again. But I can't get the new channels to show on the epg - tried restarting xbmc, and even the machine.
Sorry, not really sure what to suggest on that one. Sounds like something going wrong on the XBMC side, rather than NextPVR side.

Quote:While I'm at it... the only channel logo I can't get to stick is 5* - I know they have to be named correctly to "stick" but I tried everything ie 5 Star, Five Star, 5, Five.
From memory invalid filename characters are removed when looking for the channel icons, it's probably looking for 5.png or 5.jpg.
Thanks, I seem to consistently have trouble getting changes to stick. Same with certain nfo files. I expect it will all come good the next time I decided to reinstall from scratch.
I think I tried just "5"...
(2013-09-10, 19:59)JohnyLondon Wrote: I think I tried just "5"...
Does the icon show up in NextPVR's TV Guide screen?
No - no icons at all in npvr - not that I'm bothered as I don't use it directly. But would have been interesting had it been present.

But now, the new channels have started to show up in my xbmc guide, and in the order I wanted, so that's all good. The only trouble is that live tv now won't work! It either just gives me the "working" and blue circle indefinetly, or for some time before stopping, or starts the channel and then freezes on the first couple of frames (with or without the "buffering" box). A right old mish mash.... knew I'd end up busting it trying to get the latest channels!
Interestingly, recordings still work. Also, trying to watch live tv directly in npvr doesn't work, just get a black screen.
Oh well...
(2013-09-11, 14:41)JohnyLondon Wrote: No - no icons at all in npvr - not that I'm bothered as I don't use it directly. But would have been interesting had it been present.
If they don't show up in NextPVR, then you don't have the correct file names in your C:\Users\Public\NPVR\Media\Channels directory. Once you've got the channels icons correct there, they'll automatically flow through to XBMC.

Quote:But now, the new channels have started to show up in my xbmc guide, and in the order I wanted, so that's all good. The only trouble is that live tv now won't work! It either just gives me the "working" and blue circle indefinetly, or for some time before stopping, or starts the channel and then freezes on the first couple of frames (with or without the "buffering" box). A right old mish mash.... knew I'd end up busting it trying to get the latest channels!
Interestingly, recordings still work. Also, trying to watch live tv directly in npvr doesn't work, just get a black screen.
Oh well...
Try watching live tv in in NextPVR, then post the npvr.log and nrecord.log on the NextPVR forums, and I'll take a look for you. Make sure you've set your decoders on the Settings->Decoders page though.

Once it's working correctly in NextPVR, then we can look into why it's not working in XBMC. If it isn't working in directly in NextPVR, then it isn't going to work in XBMC wither.
My logos are in a folder elsewhere, I specified the folder I wanted to use for xbmc, and its been fine, though obviously that is why they are not showing up in npvr. It's only one logo, I can live with it. Or without it....

I had a look on npvr forum about how to find those logs, but couldn't find them on the system. Will try again later.

Thanks for the help though!
(2013-09-11, 20:18)JohnyLondon Wrote: I had a look on npvr forum about how to find those logs, but couldn't find them on the system.
There is a sticky thread on the NextPVR forums describing where to get the log files. On Vista/Win7//Win8 they're in c:\users\public\npvr\logs. On XP there is a longer path under "c:\document and settings".
Just an update. Over the period of about a week, things gradually settled down - which I know sounds bizzare and quite un computer like! I managed to get my chanel orders to stick, though at first quite a few simply wouldn't tune (just got "working" or sometimes the program would start for a few seconds then just be buffering indefinitely. This was mainly on ilm4 and Film4 +1, which were obviously new tunings, but it was happening on some other stations too.
I was going to do a re install, but gradually things started working and all is now fine.
I cannot delete the now defunct Dave Ja Vu, but it's not that much of an issue. And there were two film 4's, but hey its all working Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Time for a rescan of channels - best way please?0