Win Dual Monitor Multi use HTPC, Please Help
I am an XBMC user since XB meant xbox but just recently getting back to it and feeling a bit overwhelmed. I need some help getting things straight in my head.

I currently run XBMC on two devices. A Pivos Aios HD in the family room and my Windows 8 PC in the den. Ultimately I would like to replace the Aios HD with a real HTPC (for HD audio) but until I can prove I can get it set up the way I want I can't justify spending any money on it.

I have read many of the dual monitor threads but most are either old threads, are dealing with Linux, or I can't find them.

Right now my Windows 8 PC sits about 10' from an HDTV. The TV is connected to the PC via an HDMI cable using the integrated Intel HD4000 graphics. I have XBMC set to start in "Fullscreen Window" mode on monitor #2. Once I have everything turned on it works pretty well. XBMC responds well and I can do whatever I want on either screen.

I would like to set up the remote to use XBMC in two different ways (2 separate "Activities" setup on the Harmony.)

1. Multi-use mode - maintain the ability to use the PC on the desktop monitor while XBMC is running on the TV (monitor #2) and controlled with the remote.
2. XBMC only mode - XBMC fires up on the TV and blanks the desktop monitor.

I am controlling XBMC with either the PC keyboard/mouse or a Logitech Harmony 550 and MCE RC6 iR receiver. I set up the remote according to the thread here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=95063

I am only working on mode 1 right now. Currently if the PC is awake and I push the XBMC activity on the remote. The TV will turn on, XBMC will sometimes start on screen #2 and then the PC will try to go to sleep. If I cancel the sleep request everything works fine. When I hit the power off button on the remote, the TV will turn off, XBMC will close and the computer will try to go to sleep again.

I must be missing something in the setup where it is trying to turn off the computer. I have been through it a couple times and could swear that I have it set to leave the PC on all the time.

Is mode 2 even possible?
Mode 2 is possible, and is what I'm using for the most part. I use a script that toggles the display switch.

See this link post #2 http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...un+execCMD
See this link Post #4 http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...un+execCMD
I would guess that this has something to do with the device profile you used in Harmony. I actually somewhat disagree with the end of the first post in the thread you used. I find, with Harmony, doing ANYTHING the cookie cutter way they set up for you ends up in headache.

I set up the MCE device AND the Microsoft Keyboard device to NOT power on and off with activities or when in or not in use. I then open up the settings for a specific activity and click the option "Yes these are correct but I want to add more options". After re-confirming all the inputs of the devices (and make sure the "I don't need to set the input for this device" is checked for the MCE devices) I then add a wake command to the Startup process, then a command that loads XBMC and then I add a Sleep (and maybe a Quit XBMC) command to the Exit process for the activity.

This is not REALLY addressing your last quesetion about mode 2 but just some other pointers for a dual monitor setup. I had HORRIBLE handshake issues with my dual monitor HTPC (lots of flashing and when turning off the TV or switching inputs XBMC would switch to the monitor and require a manual reset of fullscreen #2) until i purchased a HDMI Detective which very simply stored the EDID info of a monitor and always reports it to the PC regardless of whether the monitor (TV in most cases) is on and or connected. Its absurdly expensive for what it does but its a lifesaver. Second, and probably more pertinent, I would really recommend working with Eventghost. With it you can remap each button to a specific XBMC command, so that it doesn't even matter if XBMC is in focus or not. I can't remember if that particular guide results in a set up that will control XBMC even when its not in focus, but if you are going to be doing work on the computer it will be helpful if the remote controls xbmc independent of whether you are working on something else or not (and only XBMC). More specifically to your second scenario, there is an option in XBMC to dim the other monitor which unfortunately i don't think is super easy to accomplish from a remote. I started a post on the Eventghost forum (http://www.eventghost.net/forum/viewtopi...f=2&t=3930) asking how to dim a monitor from a remote and basically the best solution was to buy the UltraMon dual monitor utility and use Eventghost to run a cmd line argument to turn off the other monitor. I decided it wasn't worth it and have since worked around it with a dedicated HTPC.
You can definitely do what you want... it will just take work - I will explain some options below.

BUT FIRST, my soap box... IMO you are better off in the long run spending a few $ and just dedicating a PC to XBMC. I use a cheap laptop which works perfectly for so many reasons... many people spend all ridiculous $ on PCs for no real life benefit. I have an Intel i5 w/ AMD GPU (HP Elitebook I got free but they are $300-400) and it runs 24x7 no problem. .You could easily spend only $100-200 on a laptop and have a kick-azz HTPC.

To setup your 'modes' there are MANY ways to do it, most are easy or quick. Here's by far the easiest way I see...

Use the BAT file here... http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=131899

If you want to do more cool stuff, you can also use EventGhost - which I and many use with Harmony remotes. I have it do some very cool stuff with my Onkyo receiver based on if I'm playing a movie, or music, etc... and it autodetects what apps are running to do custom keymaps. And much more. Anyway...

Setup EventGhost with Macros based on your chosen Harmony Activity
Create 2 separate GUISETTINGS.XML, each store settings you want for two separate modes: mutli-use & XBMC htpc only
Upon launching the activity, Eventghost will copy in the required XML and launch XBMC.

Easy-Peasy

This works perfectly and 'locks-down' your settings... so if you want to change your settings you need to remember to replace the XML you are copying from with the most recent XML you just saved when exiting XBMC.

Here's the python script for EG to copy the XML in before you start XBMC...

Code:
import shutil
folder = 'C:/Users/ha/Documents/XBMC/portable_data/userdata'
file_dst = 'guisettings.xml'
file_src = 'guisettings_Monitor2.xml'
shutil.copy2(folder + '/' + file_src, folder + '/' + file_dst)
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Changing the startup and shut down of XBMC as Seth suggested fixed my mode1 issue, Thanks!

I have a need for two XBMC machines and another in the not too distant future. It seems to be a waste to build a dedicated HTPC for the den when I have a more than capable PC sitting just feet from the TV. That is why I would like the two different modes. Though I guess once I get everything configured there aren't many situations that would require it. Once it's configured about the only time XBMC would be used if for dedicated viewing...

For the living room the plan is to wait and see what Pivos comes up with in the next few months. Ideally somebody will release a box that will run XBMC and support bitsreaming. If not I will either go the NUC route or build something.

I have a better understanding of how to go about it, Thank you for the help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dual Monitor Multi use HTPC, Please Help0