Onkyo receiver input switching via CEC
I just picked up a Chromecast specifically for easier Netflix viewing and it was super easy to get working with my Onkyo receiver's CEC (RIHD I think they call it). The Chromecast will change the input on the receiver whenever I start streaming video to it.

Is there a way to get XBMC to do the same? I notice the Peripherals section of my Inputer Devices settings is greyed out, so no joy there.

My current setup is thus:

HTPC HDMI out to receiver in
Chromecast HDMI out to receiver in
Receiver HDMI out to LG television in

I'd like to be able to easily switch back to XBMC's input. Doable?
Do you have a CEC interface with your HTPC? most non-arm boxes will need something like a USB HDMI CEC adapter.
(2013-09-11, 01:53)Ned Scott Wrote: Do you have a CEC interface with your HTPC? most boxes will need something like a USB HDMI CEC adapter.

I suppose I need to do some more reading on this. Why is a USB device necessary when the Chromecast does it over HDMI?
Because most PC makers are silly and don't build it into their on-board HDMI ports. It's a bit bizarre, if you ask me, considering how cool CEC is.
That's pretty sweet man, I actually also have an Onkyo receiver connected to an LG TV (with a Chromecast in the Cbl / Sat input and PC w/ 3 displays including TV used strictly for media in Game input). One of my monitors blocks the IR signal between my chair and the AVR, so auto-switching inputs when I fire up the Chromecast is NICE. I sort of recall some negatives of having RIHD on from testing all the settings when I first got the AVR, but I don't remember what... I hope it's all good. Anyways, just doing this and not experimenting at all, I'm wondering if the TV was off (but AVR was ON), and XBMC is dedicated to that monitor (possibly via 3rd party software, or I predict it would just load probably on my main screen) if launching XBMC would switch the AVR to the PC input and turn on the TV? Otherwise, I'd imagine that the only way to auto-switch to the PC input would be powering on or restarting the computer. Just speculating here, will do some testing and report back if I find a solution.

Anyways, thanks for posting this! I mean, I'm trying to kick back and be entertained! Not do all kinds of *reaching* to switch inputs etc. (like some sort of a chump!) Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Onkyo receiver input switching via CEC0