Req Gapless Playback
Hi,

I was wondering whether true Gapless Audio Playback was going to make it into the Gotham release cycle:

As is commonly repeated, gapless playback is of particular interest to Opera/Classical music and Electronic music listeners, where albums are often mixed.

At the moment, there is always a little mini-jump that marks the spot where the tracks transition, regardless of FLAC or MP3 (I haven't tried others). In addition, this jump is particularly obvious if the tracks are split up in a .CUE file.

From previous forum postings I have picked up that gapless has always been on the cards but has never quite made it due to unloading/loading codecs,etc.

It has always struck me that gapless playback for the same codec shouldn't have this problem. And anybody who expects gapless playback from a fruit salad of codecs is being unreasonable.

Gapless playback is really important to me. I have MPD installed and running in parallel just for this purpose. And it handles gapless playback brilliantly. But it doesn't do CUE sheets. Or Album Art. Plus I just like XBMC.

So, does anybody know the state of gapless playback in Gotham, and with or without CUE sheets?

Michael
This should be fixed with new audio engine ActiveAE. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=170338
thanks FernatMenta,

so this has got me reading up on ActiveAE, which has surprisingly little info on it, a quick Google just reveals it's existence and as a replacement for the previous AudioEngine released in Frodo. The thread you posted is pretty long but i am going through it to learn as much as possible.

Could you confirm the two parts (a search of the tread revealed nothing...).

1) Gapless Playback (esp FLAC and MP3)
2) Gapless Playback with CUE sheets?

Michael
As long as your files are not on a disk it should work. There were a couple of problems related to gapless playback and crossfade which was entirely broken. We have fixed quite a lot of issues, though I can't confirm that your scenarios will work. Try it and report back.
thanks FernatMenta, from the thread, I see you've been very involved in the dev of ActiveAE. Thanks a lot for all your efforts and work.

I will take the plunge and start working with the latest version of XBMC from git; I'll post my experiences in the Forum.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gapless Playback1