Bay Trail : Intel Atom Z3600 and Z3700
Hello,

After seeing Bay trail announcement, I'm now dreaming about a tiny XBMC box with Atom Z3700.

Bay Trail :

* Supports USB 3.0
* Supports LPDDR3 or DDR3L-RS
* GPU supports DX11 and OpenGL ES 3.0
* Hardware decoding : MPEG-2, 4, H.264/MVC, VC1, VP8 et MJPEG
* Hardware encoding : H.264
* Supports HDMI 1.4 and DisplayPort 1.2

Intel Z3700 series : http://ark.intel.com/products/series/76761

Benchmarks from Intel :

Of course we must wait in order to see the true performances of these Atoms but who's excited ?
I'm excited too. I'm glad I keep putting off upgrading my hardware.

Definitely excited. Here's a sneak peek at a Bay Trail mini-ITX motherboard (desktop parts are called Bay Trail-D)

http://www.fanlesstech.com/2013/08/bay-t...i-itx.html

However, just know my attempts to find Wibtek products or to contact them and get a response has never worked out.

BTW, when these come out they may be called Celeron or Pentium believe it or not. See here: http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/20130...ssors.html

Model / Cores / Threads / Frequency / GPU frequency / TDP / Price
Celeron J1750 2 / 2 2.4 GHz 688 MHz / 750 MHz 10 Watt $72
Celeron J1850 4 / 4 2 GHz 688 MHz / 792 MHz 10 Watt $82
Pentium J2850 4 / 4 2.4 GHz 688 MHz / 792 MHz 10 Watt $94
Yes, like Dougie says: you should look for baytrail-d(esktop) instead of baytrail-t(ablet). This Z-series (baytrail-t) doesn't even offer SATA. For HTPC-usage, the mentioned J-series (and maybe M(obile)) series are better candidates.

Don't except retail-availibilty anytime soon; besides that Wibtek board (selected to show off at IDF), none of the normal mobo-designers announced a mini-ITX board yet. My guess is that this will take another couple of months.. (besides I think the lower-end Haswells (Celeron/Pentium) are more intersting as a platform for HTPC's)

So I'm not so excited: For mobile they just don't compete current ARM and for desktop(and HTPC) Haswell is much better.
I think what intrigues me most about Bay Trail-D is that they are, according to Intel, supposed to be fanless. A fanless quad-core SoC mini-ITX motherboard with Intel HD graphics is something that would make me very happy.

Oh, and as for the 'Z' tablet chips, I want to get my wife a tablet for Christmas so maybe I am excited for those too Smile.
*Awaiting mid-october*
(2013-09-12, 14:50)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I think what intrigues me most about Bay Trail-D is that they are, according to Intel, supposed to be fanless. A fanless quad-core SoC mini-ITX motherboard with Intel HD graphics is something that would make me very happy.

Yes that's nice but the trade off is HD-2500 performance vs HD-4x00. Easy choice for me. (btw: That Wibtek showcase wasn't passive). If Intel had put in a HD-4x00 they could scrap all their announched low-end Haswell's. Due to Intel preferring to sell higher margin Haswell's above Bay trail ATOMS, they leave some room for AMD Kabini to hit the sweet spot for perfect HTPC's.

(2013-09-12, 14:51)Christer K Wrote: *Awaiting mid-october*

Retail availibility? No way, since there aren't even announched mini-itx mobo's that can host Bay Trail Atom. January 2014 seems more realistic.

Only change is a smart OEM, which builds a HTPC board around a mobile Bay-Trail but that would be probably soldered and unlikely to happen.
Yes!!! Yesss!!!!

Finally getting there!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

@dougie Fresh @Robotica : Yes the D series is definitely nice too but the consumption is a lot higher, I'm somewhat doubtful about the fanless statement. In my original post I was thinking fanless of course and by "tiny XBMC box" I had something between Raspberry Pi form factor or Cubox in mind, hence the Bay Trail T version and eMMC would suffice I guess. That being said, the M series looks quite nice too, from what I found the D series TDP is rated around 10w while the M series varies between 4.5 and 7.5w.
Here they are. Unfortunately if the price didn't change, they're a lot more expensive than the D series.

Anandtech tested the Z3770 : here
I am more than somewhat doubtful you're going to find a tablet processor off-the-shelf to build a mini HTPC with unless you yourself are an OEM and have the facilities to build such a thing yourself. DIY HTPC it's not going to happen.
Yes this is not going to happen you're right, but I don't want to build this kind of HTPC myself, I'm hoping some constructor will be interested enough to do it, some mini box or board like Raspberry Pi, Cubox, Wandboard, Odroid U2 and so on Wink
(2013-09-12, 18:39)Khivar Wrote: Yes this is not going to happen you're right, but I don't want to build this kind of HTPC myself, I'm hoping some constructor will be interested enough to do it, some mini box or board like Raspberry Pi, Cubox, Wandboard, Odroid U2 and so on Wink

There is talk this could definitely displace ARM in areas like tablets and phones and I'd like to see it happen in media-players too.

BTW, the fanless talk comes from the Intel press release. Atom D525/D2550/etc. has a TDP of 18W. Intel, ASRock and Jetway have D2250 passive boards. It *sounds* like they mean to make or have a reference design for passive Bay Trail-D boards too. If they can do it with 18W TDP they can do it with 10W TDP. Fingers crossed!

"The "Bay Trail D" line will be available in three SKUs: Intel Pentium J2850, Intel Celeron J1850 and Intel Celeron J1750. These offerings are Intel's smallest-ever packages for desktop processors, making them ideal for fanless and smaller form factor systems for entry level desktop computing. The processors are also ideal for vertical uses, including intelligent digital displays, with the power savings and up to three times faster performance and up to 10 times better graphics than similar products from Intel just three years ago3. Full systems based on these SKUs are expected to start at $199."
Some of the early benchmarks I've been looking at, the Z3770 actually comes close to the i3-3217U. How crazy is that? It also beats up on the A4-5000 (Kabini).
Intel displace ARMHuh

Qualcomm snapdragon 600 for < $20. And that outperforms Bay Trail T on power, GPU and is similar in CPU. Besides, it's available.

So technically Intel won't be even on par with ARM when Broadwell (Haswell on 14nm) arrives somewhere in 2014, since ARM already released their Cortex A50-series (20nm) by then. So they can take some market share from ARM but given Intel's pricing, it will only be high-end Windows based products.

Welcome to the era of good enough computing, where performance per dollar is king. Even if Intel would be competetive on price, it's a large decision for OEM's to switch their offerings to Intel so Intel needs to be better and have similar pricing before that happens.

It will be the other way around: You will see nice ARM based desktop (lower-end) arrive which will displace market share from Celeron and Pentium. Just what is happening with HTPC now.
I haven't replaced a single HTPC with an ARM-based PC Big Grin The reviews are horrible. It'll be interesting to see if software developers (like XBMC) continue to write for ARM or give up and stick with new x86 models. Or, if consumers will give up and get tired of Chinese ARM knockoffs. There will be some displacement in the phone, tablet and mini-PC market. How much and when remains to be seen.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bay Trail : Intel Atom Z3600 and Z37000