Looking for opinions for my HTPC before I buy
IN WIN Dragon Slayer Black 0.6mm SECC MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-2GBNQ
ASUS Maximus V Gene LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard (a little on the expensive side but it was either this or a PCIE audio card)
Intel Celeron G1610 Ivy Bridge 2.6GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80637G1610
Corsair Nova Series 2 CSSD-V30GB2A 2.5" 30GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
And a PicoPSU 120W

I plan to hook this to a nice 2 channel optical DAC (Music Hall dac25.3) and equivalent speakers

Thoughts?
Looks solid, stylish case there =)
Why the choice of the PicoPSU? That case looks like it can use a PSU. Just wondering.
It'll do the job but i'd recommend a smaller case, and a case with more internal 3.5" drive bays for HDD's unless you'll have your media on a server. Also you might want to look into getting 4GB ram (with prices so low now) depending on what OS you'll be running.
yes,..I agree about the ram,...get at least 4GB
I'm planning on running XBMCbuntu and I have a central network storage for the media (and database). I was going to go for the picopsu to get rid of a fan thus reducing the noise level. I'll probably go for more ram
(2013-09-14, 02:04)waterfoul Wrote: I'm planning on running XBMCbuntu and I have a central network storage for the media (and database)

If you are running XBMCbuntu, and have your storage elsewhere ... this is a great combination.
You do not need such a large PC. Mini ATX case should be the biggest thing you need.

I hate to be repetitive ... but why don't you just get an Intel Celeron NUC + 4Gb + 32Gb SSD + Simerec, or the X-26 mentioned in another thread? If you watch Hi10P (used in weird japanese cartoons) then get an i3 version.
If you need room for a full size 2.5" drive (and I'm not sure why you do), look at any of the systems from DougieFresh on www.ecosmartpc.com based on a Mini-ATX motherboard.
Looks like I need to do more research. I'll look into those but I am picky about my audio and want to make sure whatever is driving the optical is of high quality. Unfortunately 90% of the motherboards use low end chips especially in the smaller boards where space and power are at a premium. I'll be editing this post with my findings

Intel Celeron NUC - Out, no optical, no full size pcie to add a sound card
X-26 - Out, same reason

I'll look further into miniatx but the size of the case isn't that important to me as long as it works and is quiet
I agree with others , 4 gig ram and the case is 2 big for a htpc , look for a proper htpc case , some of the Silverstone ones for example

also imo 200 dollars is 2 much for a mobo just for a htpc for that money im guessing u can get a haswell i3/pentium and a asrock 1150 mobo for 200 dollars give or take

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for opinions for my HTPC before I buy0