Work Around for ROMs on Network Share
I found that the Sega emulator Genesis MX Plus will not play ROMs over a samba share. But, if I were to map the drive (say ZSmile it tricks the emulator into thinking its local and plays it with no issues.

Using a mapped drive rather than a samba pathway has given me no issues.
thanks for the tip! some (most?) emulators support "load from memory", which uses XBMC's file loaders to pass the data to the emu. some, like Genesis MX Plus, require the path to the rom and implement their own (inferior) file loader, which obviously can't handle xbmc's mirth of protocols.

if you want, you can figure out for yourself if an emu supports "load from memory". open the addon.xml file of the installed add-on and look for the <allowvfs> tag. <allowvfs>true</allowvfs> means that the emulator can load from samba, NFS, http, inside zip/rars, etc.
thx for explain. If I understand they are no solution to play genesis's rom thru network yet?
not until genplus is expanded to implement the full libretro API (including loading from memory)
Oh thx for your explanation. Just need time I hope Smile
I am able to play Genplus via network with the above stated workaround.

If i try to play the game via samba path (\\computer\folder\game.smc) this does not work.

If i create a network drive mapped to the location, then play the game via network through the mapped path (z:\roms\genesis\game.smc) it works perfectly fine.
edru, when you say "can't play over samba", do you mean that genplus fails to load the game, or XBMC doesn't give you the option of using genplus to play the game?
eheh nice edru thx, working for moment with network mapping
(2013-09-15, 05:26)garbear Wrote: edru, when you say "can't play over samba", do you mean that genplus fails to load the game, or XBMC doesn't give you the option of using genplus to play the game?

It wont load the game if i load it over a strict network path. If i map the path to a drive letter, it loads the game without issue and plays. As far as offering installation? No idea, already had the emulator installed.

For the time being Ive removed all roms from zips and left them as their own file on my server. Mapped \\server\roms to the letter Z: drive and within XBMC i point it to the rom files at "Z:" not at \\server\share
ok. can you upload a debug log of a Genplus game not working?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Work Around for ROMs on Network Share0