• 7(current)
Linux Linux now has a completely working libaacs and libbdplus option.
I have not gotten MakeMKV to decode my AAC discs. I have followed all the instructions I can find to install and build MakeMKV 1.9.1 and 1.9.2 with the with the optional libavcodec and libffdk-aac support as described in http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224. I have also created symlinks as described in http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7009. (I did not do anything to remove or hide libaacs since it was not installed on my Kodibuntu 14.04 system.)

When attempting to play a disk (Return of the King, extended, pt1) with debug logging on I get this block of messages:

908.18:04:55 T:139955757532928 DEBUG: CDVDInputStreamBluray::Open - First Play supported: 1
909.18:04:55 T:139955757532928 DEBUG: CDVDInputStreamBluray::Open - Top menu supported : 1
910.18:04:55 T:139955757532928 DEBUG: CDVDInputStreamBluray::Open - HDMV titles : 14
911.18:04:55 T:139955757532928 DEBUG: CDVDInputStreamBluray::Open - BD-J titles : 6
912.18:04:55 T:139955757532928 DEBUG: CDVDInputStreamBluray::Open - UNSUPPORTED titles : 6
913.18:04:55 T:139955757532928 DEBUG: CDVDInputStreamBluray::Open - AACS detected : 1
914.18:04:55 T:139955757532928 DEBUG: CDVDInputStreamBluray::Open - libaacs detected : 1
915.18:04:55 T:139955757532928 DEBUG: CDVDInputStreamBluray::Open - AACS handled : 0
916.18:04:55 T:139955757532928 DEBUG: CDVDInputStreamBluray::Open - BD+ detected : 0
917.18:04:55 T:139955757532928 DEBUG: CDVDInputStreamBluray::Open - libbdplus detected : 0
918.18:04:55 T:139955757532928 DEBUG: CDVDInputStreamBluray::Open - BD+ handled : 0
919.18:04:55 T:139955757532928 ERROR: CDVDInputStreamBluray::Open - Media stream scrambled/encrypted with AACS
920.18:04:55 T:139955757532928 ERROR: CDVDPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opening [bluray://%2fmedia%2fTHE_RETURN_OF_THE_KING_EXT_PT1%1f%2f/BDMV/PLAYLIST/00100.mpls]

With AACS detected and libaacs detected, the fact that AACS Handled = 0 makes me think that something about my libmmbd is not correctly built. (I'm not sure if the libbdplus status is relevant; maybe it is not really being looked for since BD+ detected is false.)

I have uploaded my log to http://xbmclogs.com/py9uchkv6, Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I would prefer not to have to back to Windows to get Blu-Ray working!
-- Steve

"I just wanted a media center, not a hobby!"

HW: CPU - Intel Core i3-4130T, RAM - 4GB, Storage: 640GB, TV Tuner - HDHomeRun Connect x3
SW: OS - LibreELEC, Media Center - Kodi 18.5, Skin - Amber, PVR - TVHeadend
When I set it up you libaacs was a dependency of kodi (rather xbmc) and it had to be deleted, not uninstalled, other wise decryption wouldn't work.
(2015-04-20, 10:57)teeedubb Wrote: When I set it up you libaacs was a dependency of kodi (rather xbmc) and it had to be deleted, not uninstalled, other wise decryption wouldn't work.

Yes, I noticed that in other posts, so I was prepared to delete, or otherwise hide the library. However, libaacs0 was not installed and there was no libaacs file in /usr/lib.
-- Steve

HW: CPU - Intel Core i3-4130T, RAM - 4GB, Storage: 640GB, TV Tuner - HDHomeRun Connect x3
Ah, found it. /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libaacs.so.0->libaacs.so.0.4.0. I had searched through some alternate locations as suggested in previous posts, but obviously lost my way before finding this one. Moved the files to a new subdir "libmmbd-mods" and tested again and viola!

Thanks for the kick in the pants to look harder for that darned file!
-- Steve

I would like to understand is why some clever and talented developer hasnt added or started adding support for libaacs and whatever other necessary lib so that just like DVD's are currently handled in Kodi by dvdcss you would just insert a Bluray and not need makemkv or some other hacking around to play the bluray.

Maybe in a few years then.
Kodi does support libaacs. That is why this works.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Read again, all this hacking and makemkv still required.
So your disappointment is with the libaacs authors to adequately make aacs work properly? Yeah that'd be nice, but don't underestimate the difficulty of working with a constantly changing target, not to mention the possibility of falling foul of the dmca police.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
libaacs isn't the problem its getting the keys for libaacs to use - using the 'vlc method' all that is required is to download a key database, but it's from 2012 so any bd's released in the last 3 or so years don't play. You probably could update the key database yourself but makemkv works really well and its set and forget so why bother...
(2015-05-24, 02:27)teeedubb Wrote: libaacs isn't the problem its getting the keys for libaacs to use - using the 'vlc method' all that is required is to download a key database, but it's from 2012 so any bd's released in the last 3 or so years don't play. You probably could update the key database yourself but makemkv works really well and its set and forget so why bother...

Precisely.
(2015-05-23, 18:32)uNiversal Wrote: I would like to understand is why some clever and talented developer hasnt added or started adding support for libaacs and whatever other necessary lib so that just like DVD's are currently handled in Kodi by dvdcss you would just insert a Bluray and not need makemkv or some other hacking around to play the bluray.

There, I highlighted and underlined what I meant by adding support natively to Kodi, it has nothing to do with whatever you decided is the problem.

(2015-05-24, 01:55)nickr Wrote: So your disappointment is with the libaacs authors to adequately make aacs work properly? Yeah that'd be nice, but don't underestimate the difficulty of working with a constantly changing target, not to mention the possibility of falling foul of the dmca police.

Its quite simple really and I struggle to see where in my comment lead you to deduce any of what you mention in your reply, which isnt anywhere even in my mind or post.

You missed the point entirely.
Makemkv is closed source, so will never be in kodi.

So what were you suggesting a dev should do?
(2015-05-24, 10:37)uNiversal Wrote:
(2015-05-23, 18:32)uNiversal Wrote: I would like to understand is why some clever and talented developer hasnt added or started adding support for libaacs and whatever other necessary lib so that just like DVD's are currently handled in Kodi by dvdcss you would just insert a Bluray and not need makemkv or some other hacking around to play the bluray.

There, I highlighted and underlined what I meant by adding support natively to Kodi, it has nothing to do with whatever you decided is the problem.

Sigh... I think you need to spend less time highlighting text and more time reading about the past... Let me phrase it this way for you - all the required libs "so that just like DVD's are currently handled in Kodi by dvdcss you would just insert a Bluray and not need makemkv or some other hacking around to play the bluray." are already included - except for the part that will get your house raided, computers and electronics seized, your ass dragged through the courts by a entity that has deep pockets and possibly get you thrown in jail.

I hope that helps you get the point....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Lech_...rosecution
(2015-05-25, 05:46)teeedubb Wrote:
(2015-05-24, 10:37)uNiversal Wrote:

Sigh... I think you need to spend less time highlighting text and more time reading about the past... Let me phrase it this way for you - all the required libs "so that just like DVD's are currently handled in Kodi by dvdcss you would just insert a Bluray and not need makemkv or some other hacking around to play the bluray." are already included - except for the part that will get your house raided, computers and electronics seized, your ass dragged through the courts by a entity that has deep pockets and possibly get you thrown in jail.

Sigh... I think you need to spend less time highlighting text and more time reading about that's its not illegal in all countries. Currently in UK its now allowed to make copies of what you own, so laws chnage all the time and quoting stuff from 12 years ago isnt necessarily the point either.

FACT 1 you can pop a retail DVD in Kodi and it will be played.
FACT 2 you cannot pop a retail Bluray in Kodi and play it (without hacking around with this crap)

Of which my post again is about making FACT 2 to as easy as FACT 1 without incurring the wrath of these sort of replies.

* un1versal usubscribed
(2015-05-25, 09:51)uNiversal Wrote:
(2015-05-25, 05:46)teeedubb Wrote:
(2015-05-24, 10:37)uNiversal Wrote: There, I highlighted and underlined what I meant by adding support natively to Kodi, it has nothing to do with whatever you decided is the problem.

Sigh... I think you need to spend less time highlighting text and more time reading about that's its not illegal in all countries. Currently in UK its now allowed to make copies of what you own, so laws chnage all the time and quoting stuff from 12 years ago isnt necessarily the point either.

FACT 1 you can pop a retail DVD in Kodi and it will be played.
FACT 2 you cannot pop a retail Bluray in Kodi and play it (without hacking around with this crap)

Of which my post again is about making FACT 2 to as easy as FACT 1 without incurring the wrath of these sort of replies.

* uNiversal usubscribed

But its not legal to break DRM:

Quote:Media such as DVDs are often protected by anti-copying technology to guard against copyright piracy, and this is protected by law. Copyright owners will still be able to apply this protection. However, if copy protection is too restrictive, you may raise a complaint with the Secretary of State.

So do you agree that you need to break DRM to play a bluray on a unlicensed player?

*uNiversal misses the point again
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux now has a completely working libaacs and libbdplus option.1