building my first htpc. i need help with part.
Hi there,

Fews questions i was wondering and i cant find what im looking for
i'm about to build my first ever htpc. I had in mind to get few parts and i was wondering fews things.
This htpc will be use exclusively for my kids ( both 6 and 12 ) to play games and by me and my wife to listen 1080P movies and musics. There nothing else that will happen with this htpc.
I dont wanna get a console like a ps3 or Xbox 360 because i really think it a waste of money.
It also need to last few years because for the moment i'm living in an appartement and i cant put loud music or loud movies, but in few years, i will build my own house with a home teater chamber only dedicated to movies and games. I will probabaly get at this moment a custom home theater.

I really dont know what to get except mabye for the processor.

processor: A10-6800K, i read somewhere, i dont need a graphic card with this one and it a good one.
Case: It need to be cute but nothing with big light comming out of it. It also need to be able to hold a watercooling like H60 for the processor, we dont wanna hear a big fan running all the time like the 1090T of my wife when she listening some video or playing a game.
For the motherboard, we really dont know.
I will buy 2 remote controller for the game they gonna play. They need to be wireless.
If it possible, it would be fun to power on this baby with a remote control.
For the memory, 8go of 2133MHz DDR3
I will get a 32Go SSD for the OS.
I need a bluray reader that can read 3D. ( my tv is 3D)
I already have an old power supply 620 Watts i dont use anymore.
for the other hard drive, i will probabaly get 2-3 2 To external harddrive.
If it possible, i want a tv tuner to capture TV OTA but only if it possible. I dont know if this work in Quebec.

Someone could help me with some part and few advice please.

Edited: Add a requirement if it possible.

Thanks a lot.
What games do you plan to play? A10 can handle some modern games at medium settings but for better performance/graphics, you would be better with a cpu + graphics card

Case: Check out the silverstone cases, SilverStone Grandia Series GD06,GD07 or GD08

Controller: 2 x XBOX wireless controller for windows

Memory: 8GB (2 x 4GB) should be ok for gaming

SSD: For windows (assumption), get a 64GB SSD. Win7 install would take almost 30GB or slightly over 30GB

Blu-Ray Drive : Any bluray drive > 2x read speeds will handle 3D Blu-rays. You will need a 3D player software like PowerDVD or TotalMedia Theatre to play 3D movies(ISO)

Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 or Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
thanks a lot for the reply. Game will be from steam. Nothing excessive. We have 2 other insane rigs for that. some puzzles / 2d game / old psx ps2 game mabye. Nothing insane like crysis 3 or whatever that require a GTX 680 or a 7990 Tongue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
building my first htpc. i need help with part.0