My First Build and on a Low Budget
I am just a few notches above green to the inside workings of a PC but I am a hands on guy and don't mind being patient in the trial and error process. This is my first build and on a budget. It will serve as the main source of entertainment in the living room, and once I do my ideal build, will be moved to the master bedroom. The main functionality of this unit will be over the air TV, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, and streaming NFL Network & Redzone. I will not be doing much media downloading or ripping DVD's at this time.

I picked up a refurbished Dell Optiplex 320 as my starting point.

Dual Core Intel Pentium 64 bit at 3.0 GHZ
2GB DDR2 ram (I am upgrading to its max of 4GB)
500GB Seagate HDD 7200 RPM
ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Graphics
Lite-on DVD Burner
Windows 7 Ultimate

I am swapping out the power supply with Logisys PS480D2 480W ATX12V

I am adding PCI slot case cooler Alpha and Omega Model FC-2000, 2800 RPM, 42 CFM

Adding a Hauppauge 1250 TV Tuner with IR & Remote

Adding Zotac ZT-60604-10L Video Card
• NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
• Core Clock 810MHz
• Shader Clock 1620MHz
• CUDA Cores 48
• Effective Memory Clock 1333MHz
• Memory Size 512MB
• Memory Interface 64-bit
• Memory Type DDR3
• DirectX
• DirectX 11
• OpenGL
• OpenGL 4.2
• 1 x HDMI
• 1 x D-SUB
• 1 x DVI
• RAMDAC 400 MHz
• Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
• Dual-Link DVI Supported
• HDCP Ready
• NVIDIA Adaptive Vertical Sync Technology
• NVIDIA Unified Architecture

I have an open 3.5 bay and am considering adding an SSD drive as the main boot. If not, I will just add a fan for additional cooling on the HDD.

I know this not a very impressive system, it a low budget build for a beginner and right now I am at total cost of about $275 into it. I wouldn't have minded a better video card, but I needed something that would work in a PCI slot as the PCI express slot will be occupied by the TV Tuner. Like I mentioned earlier, I am pretty green so a rookie mistake I suppose.

Feedback and suggestions are welcomed.

Also, any suggestions on a remote that would be programmable for a 60" Sharp Aquos and an Onkyo receiver? I was looking at the MELE F10 but Harmony may be the best direction.

Thanks.
No need to swap PSU.

Why the additional fans?
The stock PSU is a 280 watt. The video card recommended a minimum of a 300 watt. The new PSU was only $15 shipped so better safe then sorry.

As far as the fans go, this unit will be in my entertainment center enclosed on 3 sides. Since I had an extra PCI slot, I figured the additional air flow would help keep it running cool..
Funny recommendation when the max power consumption is 29 watt

However, a new PSU is always nice and quieter. But I wouldn´t buy that PSU, better of with Corsair CX series HERE
Looks like I may have been a little to presumptuous, or more specifically, uneducated. The TV Tuner takes a PCIe x 1 slot and all I have is PCIe x 16. I am trying to find some conversions, but all I can find are X1 to an X16, not vice versa. I would prefer not to have to replace the mother board and I cant find any TV Tuners that fit in an x16 slot. Aside from a USB tuner, any suggestions here anyone?
Can you provide a link to your Dell PC?
Video 
Here is Dell's spec sheet for the PC

I cant figure out how to attach an image of the board. I don't have a web link or gallery for the photo.
(2013-09-16, 16:55)BroadwayJoe Wrote: Here is Dell's spec sheet for the PC

I cant figure out how to attach an image of the board. I don't have a web link or gallery for the photo.

http://imgur.com/
watch gallery
watch gallery
How about an HDHomerun instead? I have it and it works just fine.
So after further research and checking the manufactures website, the Hauppauge Tuner will fit in either a PCIe x1 OR a PCIe x16 slot. This makes it easy since I have on open x16. The site I purchased from only mentioned the x1. TV Tuner arrived today and I just installed it. Just waiting on the graphics card, power supply and fan now.
PCIe 1x and 8x cards will fit into any 16x slot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My First Build and on a Low Budget0