Req Auto Character Encoding for SRTs
Currently, if i want to watch a video with chinese subtitles, I must download the srt from a site like shooter (this is easily done within xbmc using the add-on) but if I actually want to be able to read the subtitles in the srt using xbmc, i have exit xbmc, and mux the srt file into the mkv file with a program like MKV Merge GUI, then I must manually ensure that the embedded srt is encoded with the right character set (for simple chinese, the charset is GB2312) then I can open the newly muxed mkv in xbmc and select the chinese srt file and finally, i can see chinese subtitles...there is no way to select encoding or charsets for the srts directly from the xbmc gui that i am aware of...at least not in a temporary way so i can easily switch back to english subtitles if I want. I am sure that this same character encoding problem also exists with other languages.

The first step towards fixing this problem, is to give an option for charset encoding per srt file in the xbmc gui. But why stop there?

If the srt file has the language name or abbreviation in the filename, (which my subtitles all have automatically) then a chinese srt file downloaded straight from shooter thru the xbmc gui could in theory be encoded directly into simplified chinese (with the option to change encodings if, its say, I want traditional chinese subtitles) I think this would greatly enhance xbmc and make it much more approachable as a program as a whole.
Oh come on, I cant be the only one with this problem.
/sign this shouldn't be too difficult to implement, especially if at minimum make it detect a subtitle *.chinese* then switch it ~
since its not difficult, once you are done let us know please ... PRs go to github, thanks
The language doesn't imply the charset (though it is a hint). Much, much, much (did I say that enough) better is to encode subtitles as UTF8 or UTF16 then you needn't care about it.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2013-12-07, 22:15)amet Wrote: since its not difficult, once you are done let us know please ... PRs go to github, thanks

Ass,

For the devs familiar it's no problem if it's like any other type of code. I am a programmer, but not xbmc programmer, hence the forum and not coding myself..
(2013-12-08, 12:00)dylanh724 Wrote:
(2013-12-07, 22:15)amet Wrote: since its not difficult, once you are done let us know please ... PRs go to github, thanks

Ass,

For the devs familiar it's no problem if it's like any other type of code. I am a programmer, but not xbmc programmer, hence the forum and not coding myself..

I am not the one that needs this , I suggest you adjust your attitude if you want to be a part of this community.

Thanks
I'm just running into this type of problem for the first time today. I have a .srt file of Japanese subtitles for a video. By default it shows up as question marks etc in XBMC, VLC, and such. I'm pretty sure I understand that to correct the problem I need to tell XBMC to switch to the correct character set.

The point that I think is interesting is that my copy of Media Player Classic was able to display the subtitles totally fine and without any changes on my part. Of course I am just starting to read about this situation/issue, but it makes me wonder what MPC is doing to automatically know the charset. I'm not even familiar enough with charsets to know how I should go about finding out what charset my .srt file is in. Just thought I'd chime in on this thread.
(2014-02-25, 05:02)supponpon Wrote: I'm just running into this type of problem for the first time today. I have a .srt file of Japanese subtitles for a video. By default it shows up as question marks etc in XBMC, VLC, and such. I'm pretty sure I understand that to correct the problem I need to tell XBMC to switch to the correct character set.

The point that I think is interesting is that my copy of Media Player Classic was able to display the subtitles totally fine and without any changes on my part. Of course I am just starting to read about this situation/issue, but it makes me wonder what MPC is doing to automatically know the charset. I'm not even familiar enough with charsets to know how I should go about finding out what charset my .srt file is in. Just thought I'd chime in on this thread.

MPC-HC subtitle engine can detect the encoding, so does MediaPortal (which uses MPC-HC subtitle engine).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto Character Encoding for SRTs0