The Android Apps menu causes XBMC to crash on some skins
Hello,

I am using XBMC Frodo 12.2 on my MyGica (Geniatech) ATV1200 Android device. I found a strange behaviour, where accessing the Android Apps menu causes XBMC to crash imediatelly with some skins. I can confirm this behaviour when using the Amber skin.

Here are the stept leading to the crash :

1. Start XBMC on Android Device with Amber skin previously selected
2. Go to Add-ons menu entry
3. Go to Programs sub-menu entry
4. Open Programs
5. Go one level up (..)
Now there are three items : Android Apps, Program Add-ons, Add source, the Program Add-ons is selected
6. Press UP (go from Program Add-ons to Android Apps)
7. Instant crash to Android launcher

Nothing to see in the log, last line shows that UP was pressed.

The default Confluence skin works fine. If I add the Android Apps to favourites (using confluence) I can access the Apps-menu from there and browse and start the apps without any problems using the Amber skin. If I go level-up (..) from the Android Apps menu XBMC crashes instantly.

This ihappens with other skins too. The developper of the Amber skin was not able to help me. He tried to adapt the Amber skin according to the Confluence by adding the lines
Code:
<onclick condition="!System.Platform.Android">ActivateWindow(Programs,Addons,return)</onclick>
<onclick condition="System.Platform.Android">ActivateWindow(Programs)</onclick>
, but this did not help.

The cras happens imediately after I go to the Android Apps menu entry. I do not even have time to press enter to go inside. The same happens on mouseclick
Hmm, a long time ago I recall there being some kind of issue (a crash issue, probably) when viewing large lists of Android apps from within XBMC. I'm not sure if this is the same issue or not.
logcat will show you more info as to why xbmc crashed.
hmmm logcat tells me this :

I can recognize the unintermediate crash of our great media center, but is how far mi insgiht goes. Will it help if test the same behavior with confluence ?
use pastebin.com for log spam
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Quote:use pastebin.com for log spam

Yeah ... spam, 40 lines of selected crashreport are totaly spam ... whatever.

Where are the logs gone now ? How should I add them to pastebin.com now ?
it's clearly stated in our forum rules which we expect everyone to read.
guess you will need to recreate the issue and use pastebin.com and post the link
I recreated the xbmc log and logcat from the cache of my browser so here they are :

XBMC log
logcat

The creator of the Amber skin was not able to help me, I would be really happy if oyu could look at this issue. I use the XBMC as a Android Launcher and I am very happy with it. It would be nice if I could use some custom skins beside confluence.
Any update on this issue? I really love Amber skin and would love to use it for its simplicity and vertical menu. It currently crashes whenever I click on Android Apps in XBMC 13.1 as well. I contacted the developer of the skin and he is not able to help as he does not have Android device. Source code can be found below.

https://github.com/pecinko/skin.amber

Help will be greatly appreciated.
Only in Amber? It doesn't crash in Confluence?
Is it when actually clicking to enter the "Android apps" folder, or even when just highlighting it?

[EDIT] Probably solved by https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5095
Will be in SPMC soon.
Don't ask me an ETA for XBMC itself.
Thanks koying. With you looking in to it, I am hopeful that this will finally be resolved. It doesn't happen in confluence. Confluence works perfectly fine. Amber crashes when you click on android apps. We are able to navigate to it without issues but it crashes when you click it.
(2014-07-24, 15:31)Koying Wrote: Only in Amber? It doesn't crash in Confluence?
Is it when actually clicking to enter the "Android apps" folder, or even when just highlighting it?

Will be in SPMC soon.
I tested this out with spmc 13.2.1 release and it also crashes. To reproduce it please change skin to amber and click on add ons and programs and it crashes. You don't even get to showing android apps.
(2014-07-24, 17:29)heyredy141 Wrote: Thanks koying. With you looking in to it, I am hopeful that this will finally be resolved. It doesn't happen in confluence. Confluence works perfectly fine. Amber crashes when you click on android apps. We are able to navigate to it without issues but it crashes when you click it.

If it's due to what Koying linked too in the github, and you installed an app, then set it to favorite, then uninstalled that app. Reinstall any and all apps you may have made "favorite" then relaunch XBMC, remove the app from favorite, then go back and uninstall that app.

I don't use Amber, but I can say that there are no issue using Aeon Nox 4 (Gotham), so if it's not due to a uninstalled app that was marked as favorite, and is something that is an issue with Amber you can try changing the Window ID's to"

Programs: ActivateWindow(10001,"addons://sources/executable/",return)
Android Apps: ActivateWindow(10001,"androidapp://sources/apps/",return)
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks tinwarble. This is amber specific issue and not due to favoriting and uninstalling any apps. So your suggestion might be helpful. I will try it later tonight. I saw customaddons.XML in the source that had reference to programs. Is that the XML I need to change.
(2014-07-24, 15:31)Koying Wrote: Only in Amber? It doesn't crash in Confluence?

Will be in SPMC soon.

I doubt it fixes it. I have not favourited (following PR titel) xbmc and running master and installing amber it crashes as well entering programs. This is using my nexus7 old model

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The Android Apps menu causes XBMC to crash on some skins1