xbmcbuntu crashing randomly
hi everyone
just built my first htpc this summer and installed xbmcbuntu. everything was working fine until a week or two ago. then started getting random crashes where the screen just goes black with a small x in the middle. this x is controllable by the mouse, but nothing happens from here on. i eventually have to hold the power buttong to turn off the system.

this appears to happen at random events. it's happened when:
- pause a video and leave it for around 10 minutes
- watching an internet video stream and press stop
- watching a NAS stream and press stop
- leaving the system in standby and will come back to find it like this

it isn't always reproducible. it sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't.

i was running xbmcbuntu 12, then used the updates to install 13
i reinstalled xbmcbuntu with the newer live cd than my previous install, reformatting the drive in the process

hardware:
AMD A6-3500
Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H board
Crucial 64GB M4 SSD
Corsair memory 2x2gb
Corsair 430W PSU

sound output via optical to receiver, video via hdmi

everything was working fine until 1-2 weeks ago. i did'nt do anyupdates or install any new add-ons.

i tried to copy the xbmc.log,by following the xbmc wiki, but when i go into the file manager and press 'c', there is no 'copy' option on the menu that pops up. i also find this confusing. i enabled debugging.

i would really appreciate some suggestions.

my next step will be to try openelec, but would rather stay with xbmcbuntu if possible.

thanks
might help if you gave your crashlog.... your xbmc.log might not give them enough info.

i too am experiencing my system stalling on me when I leave it idle for more than an hour.
just goes to a black screen, and then I can't "wake" it.
I don't have screensaver running or any power options.

could it be the default power options set under Ubuntu? I just thought of that as I was typing.
I will check those and report back.

here's my latest crashlog -- http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=60325

i'm using an:
AMD A6-6400
Linux Mint 18 LTS 64-bit - Kodi 17 Beta6
Odroid-C2 - Libreelec v7.90.009
(2013-09-19, 14:47)locomot1f Wrote: might help if you gave your crashlog.... your xbmc.log might not give them enough info.

i too am experiencing my system stalling on me when I leave it idle for more than an hour.
just goes to a black screen, and then I can't "wake" it.
I don't have screensaver running or any power options.

could it be the default power options set under Ubuntu? I just thought of that as I was typing.
I will check those and report back.

here's my latest crashlog -- http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=60325

i'm using an:
AMD A6-6400

Videocard driver problem..

first poster i need crashlog..
Had the same issue as the TS using the exact same hardware.
Wsnipex and FernetFermenta suggested me to follow his thread on how to install everything properly (scroll do to the "How to use the Xvba packages from Xbmcbuntu" section). I strongly suggest you do the same.
For best results, start with a fresh install and proceed from there.
thanks for the advice.
i have since reinstalled with openelec and haven't had the same problem (though having some issues with the power off/reboot causing freezes).

things seem to be ok for the time being, but i might try to do a fresh install with the Xvba packages as suggested by muldereric.

i am very new to xbmc and for some reason couldn't figure out how to get the crashlog from my xbmcbuntu install.

i'll post a followup if i attempt a fresh reinstall with the suggestions on the xvba info.

thanks again everyone.
reinstalled the system with an Nvidia GT 520 video card and the XBMCBuntu intel-Nvidia.iso
loaded up my library, watched tv show. pressed stop and the system crashed. same thing, black screen with a movable 'x' cursor. had to manually shut down the system by holding down the power button.

still need to figure out how to access the crashlogs and i will post it
Quote:Linux
The file will be in your user's home directory or the working directory if XBMC was launched from a terminal. It will be named "xbmc_crashlog-[DATE]-[TIME].log" and contain some system information at the top, followed by a stack trace and the contents of xbmc.log. If you didn't have debugging enabled at the time, please enable it and recreate the problem. This feature was added in SVN revision 22194 and relies on the gnu debugger GDB being installed to work.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...bug_report
thanks.
i'll enable debugging then wait for it to happen again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmcbuntu crashing randomly0