FutureTV -- Stealing XBMC and reselling it.
I was in a local computer store today. I was approached by the owner of FutureTV (futuretv.ca) to buy tv from him. He said "this is software that I've written". I was waiting for someone behind the counter so I said go ahead. He showed me the program and instantly I could see it was XMBC. He starts flipping through some of the menus and I said "it looks an awful lot like XBMC". He then said "oh, for customers that know about XBMC, this is a managed XMBC installation".

I can't stand it when these snakes take other peoples software, change a few colors on it and then claim it as their "own software".

Now... He did have some add-ons or something that I really liked and I would like to replicate in my XBMC. Basically, icefilms (which I thought was shutdown), and local tv (Canadian TV). When he went into it, it listed CTV, CBC, Global, etc. Then you could watch news and different things.

Could someone please let me know the best free add-ons for this? I would like to get the Canadian TV stations so that I can watch sports and stuff.
Maybe something like this? http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=97262

Also SEARCH the forums for "Canada" to locate other possible Canadian video add-ons. On a separate matter, we don't support IceFilms or other piracy add-ons here, so you're on your own if choose to go that route.
managed xbmc installation = i have installed a few addons lol scammers

(2013-09-21, 21:16)jim.thornton Wrote: I was in a local computer store today. I was approached by the owner of FutureTV (futuretv.ca) to buy tv from him. He said "this is software that I've written". I was waiting for someone behind the counter so I said go ahead. He showed me the program and instantly I could see it was XMBC. He starts flipping through some of the menus and I said "it looks an awful lot like XBMC". He then said "oh, for customers that know about XBMC, this is a managed XMBC installation".

I can't stand it when these snakes take other peoples software, change a few colors on it and then claim it as their "own software".

Now... He did have some add-ons or something that I really liked and I would like to replicate in my XBMC. Basically, icefilms (which I thought was shutdown), and local tv (Canadian TV). When he went into it, it listed CTV, CBC, Global, etc. Then you could watch news and different things.

Could someone please let me know the best free add-ons for this? I would like to get the Canadian TV stations so that I can watch sports and stuff.
hahaha, $100 per year, hahaha
artrafael:

thanks for that. I got that add-on and some others installed. however, it is painfully slow. click on add-on, it takes like 30 seconds to show first menu. click on an item and it takes another 30 seconds or more, etc.

is the e'er e anything I can do to speed it up?

note: not interested in icefilms. just mentioned it because I read an article saying that that site was busted.
I don't use that add-on (not Canadian), so I can't suggest anything other than perusing that thread and asking there if anyone else has experienced this problem and if there's a solution.
(2013-09-22, 06:55)jim.thornton Wrote: artrafael:

thanks for that. I got that add-on and some others installed. however, it is painfully slow. click on add-on, it takes like 30 seconds to show first menu. click on an item and it takes another 30 seconds or more, etc.

is the e'er e anything I can do to speed it up?

note: not interested in icefilms. just mentioned it because I read an article saying that that site was busted.

what are your hardware specs?
my specs are here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856119056

why would the specs matter for this add-on? Xbox as a whole runs great.
the access speed of the hard drive makes a difference when it comes to loading menus in xbmc. are the other addons working well?

and are you running xbmc off a sd card?
I'm running xbmc. on an ssd. so access times should not be an issue.

I tried 1channel and the same thing. but the YouTube add-on works well.
(2013-09-22, 18:24)jim.thornton Wrote: I'm running xbmc. on an ssd. so access times should not be an issue.

I tried 1channel and the same thing. but the YouTube add-on works well.

yeah you cannot get any faster than an ssd. not sure why your access times are so slow, i am running on a much lower hardware spec machine (raspberry pi) with a class 10 sd card and getting much better performance from those add ons.
I'm running almost the exact same setup down stairs. Except I think that it is 2GB ram instead of 4GB ram. I'll have to check it. It works downstairs perfectly, just not upstairs. Yet, it can't be a network issue because streaming my personal movies works amazingly.
(2013-09-22, 18:24)jim.thornton Wrote: I tried 1channel and the same thing. but the YouTube add-on works well.

Piracy sites are not the most reliable or consistent sources of streaming media content.
I just tried it for testing purposes and was using the local channels only. I'm not interested in the movies anyway, I never watch movies.

Okay... Here is something weird. I have two boxes, both boxes are the same but one has 2G of ram and the other 4G of ram. The weird thing is that the one with the least amount of ram is using the most. I have installed more addons, maybe that is why.
Dear fellow computer geek:

I love XBMC and the entire open source community. Without them, FUTURE TV wouldn't exist.

Unfortunately, there are still problems with the open source community. For example; if Linux is so much better than Windows, why do 80% of computer users still use Windows? I realize that there is no one right answer to this question but the fact remains; most people are still using Windows. The same goes for TV. Most people are still paying about $100 a month to their local cable or satellite provider and once again I ask myself the question, why?
Why I hate most cable and satellite providers

$100 a month? That's what most people are paying...I find this insane.
Too many commercials. TV watchers shouldn't be treated like 'things that buy stuff'.
Being inundated with the news. If I want to watch the news, I'll watch it. I don't want it forced down my throat.

Why don't I just tell people about XBMC and where to get addons

Well...I do tell people about XBMC on our about page and numerous other places on our website and social networks.

The fact is that most people with the ability to learn about, install, configure, and use XBMC are already using it.

Sometimes we computer geeks forget how computer illiterate most people really are. Most people need to have their hands held every step of the way when it comes time to computers and software. This is where FUTURE TV comes in handy. We accept phone calls and answer emails night and day helping our customers navigate FUTURE TV (XBMC). Many of our customers need help and guidance on a regular basis and that's what we do.

As a fellow computer geek you might remember setting up your aunt with a piece of software. As a good neice/nephew you did this for free only to realize that you were now on call 24/7 for any problems your aunt has with the software and although you love your aunt, the calls get time consuming and excessive.

FUTURE TV welcomes these types of customers with open arms and is up to the challenge of helping them. Let me assure you, it is a challenge.
Why did you change the name from XBMC to FUTURE TV?

Simply put...the name XBMC sucks.

Firstly, it no longer even makes sense. Xbox Media Centre is not even what XBMC is about any more and from a business perspective, it scares people. An acronym like this looks far too technical for the average computer illiterate person.
How FUTURE TV is making life better for everyone

First and foremost, we're saving families thousands of dollars by reducing their home entertainment bills.

We are providing impoverish families with the ultimate home entertainment experience. There is only one FUTURE TV package. Everyone gets the best of the best regardless of their income.

We are building computer literacy. Our customers are using their computer more often now that their TV watching experience depends on it.

We support local and international charities like The XBMC Foundation.
How FUTURE TV became a business

FUTURE TV became a business on it's own. I had no intention of promoting XBMC or making a business out of it. It all happened organically (naturally).

One day I met my new neighbour. It was a nice spring day and I just moved in to my new apartment and decided to go outside for some fresh air. My new neighbour, that I hadn't met yet, was doing the exact same thing.

After an awkward exchange of hellos, there was silence. I started the conversation simply because I noticed his satellite dish directly above his head.

"Is that yours?", I asked, pointing to the dish.

"Yep.", he replied.

"I can do better than that. Wait here.", I immediately went upstairs and got my USB stick and came back down.

We went into his apartment where I installed software (not XBMC) on his computer and taught him how to use it to get TV and movies. Surprisingly, he already had his computer hooked up to his TV even though he was pretty much computer illiterate.

Every few days when one of his friends came over he bragged to them about how he was now saving $140 a month because I showed him how to save money on his TV, internet, and telephone bills. He went from paying $180 a month to paying $40 a month.

One sunny day I was sitting outside thinking about how much I hated my job and I got a revolutionary idea to turn my expertise and his business skills into a proper business and FUTURE TV was born.
A personal note from the developer

Computer geeks (I am one too) often bash me for what I am doing (FUTURE TV). Because of this I needed to do a lot of soul searching. I needed to rethink the entire business and decide whether or not FUTURE TV, the business, was morally right.

I am an extremely emotional person and have had a lot of trauma in my life. For example, because of depression, I was homeless for 3 1/2 years. I have also not spoken to a member of my family in over 10 years. I broke through my depression a number of years ago because I knew that I was a 'good person'. If other didn't see that I only want what's best for everyone, I can't take that personally.

But now, with FUTURE TV, my good nature was being challenged. Now, I can only speak for myself but I am certain that my intentions are good and my conscience is clear. If for no other reason; I save families about $100 a month. Money that they can take their family out for dinner with or pay down their mortgage. I don't care what people do with their savings, I just want them to save.

I thank the naysayers for their objections because it spawned a lot of soul searching and deep thought. I emerged from these thoughts stronger than ever in my convictions, knowing that I am making the world a better place. A thought I couldn't live without.

Sincerely,

Gary Johnston

PS. Feel free to disagree with me but I think you and I make better partners (friends) than we do enemies and I'd really like to meet you and work together.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FutureTV -- Stealing XBMC and reselling it.0