FutureTV -- Stealing XBMC and reselling it.
(2014-03-11, 04:32)toddlmr Wrote: Is futuretv available in US with US content? Forgive my ignorance

It is available if your jurisdiction (country) allows you to link to copyright infringed material and stream it.

(2014-03-11, 15:33)Eldorado Wrote: Oh wow.. lets hope a mod takes care of that post promoting their site, to charge and lie to people the way they are is just garbage, good to see some users did some searching and found their way here

People, don't give them any more advertising and especially your money

i was simply replying to the original post...i would never promote FUTURE TV in XBMC's official channels

(2014-03-12, 21:48)Lunatixz Wrote: @ garyedwardjohns, Your post can easily be compared to a pile of $H!T

try setting up your computer illiterate neighbour with xbmc and continually be at their beck and call

(2014-03-12, 23:18)lusephur Wrote: Nonsense.
Changed an established product, known for being opensource to your brand, because you think xbmc as a name sucks?
Pull the other one.
coupled with emotional pleas?
XBMC changes it's name to future tv and you have what? the hard work of a community now associated with a scam artist.

i was unsure if i should include the emotional pleas here but...obviously you think i shouldn't have

i cannot stress enough how traditional tv works...as an xbmc fan (computer literate) you've probably not paid a cable bill in quite a while...these are the people i'm targetting...many do learn enough from me and XBMC that they don't need to resubscribe...many just want to because FUTURE TV is easier and they don't have the time...either way i'm happy
(2014-03-14, 21:49)flanger216 Wrote: I'm fascinated by people like this. Does he truly believe what he wrote? Or is he operating off of sheer, self-conscious manipulation? Probably some combination of the two, I guess. But sometimes another's delusions can be sobering in the light of day --- it boggles my mind that this guy might sincerely believe he's "making the world a better place" by charging hapless customers tons of money for a completely free piece of software. That his configuring said free software and genuinely stretching the bounds of 'fair use' is not just profiting for him, but is in fact making the world a better place. I'd wager the world is what it is right now because of how easily people convince themselves that their predatory behavior is somehow beneficial to us all.

Food for thought. Terrifying, dyspeptic food, but interesting nonetheless.

i've been incapable of lying for a very long time so yes, i am sincere

i tell my customers all the time that i don't charge for software...i charge for help and support, updates and upgrades...works out to $8.33 a month...something they are happy to pay for the services i offer

i get the tight bonds the open source community have...i've been a linux fan for a very long time...i'm pretty sure you think i am the same as big telcomm by gouging people unnecessarily

test my theory out...go outside and approach 100 strangers and tell them you will set them up with xbmc and provide unlimited help and support, updages and upgrades for 1 year...then come back to me and tell me i'm gouging people

(2014-03-14, 22:52)drpizznock Wrote:
(2014-03-11, 01:54)garyedwardjohns Wrote: Dear fellow computer geek:

I love XBMC and the entire open source community. Without them, FUTURE TV wouldn't exist.

How do you support the open source community, specifically XBMC? Do you contribute code? Do you rigorously test and report bugs? Donations?

in every way possible...their strength is my strength...one day i hope to merge...until then, i mostly donate money...soon we will be having an xbmc week where all proceeds of FUTURE TV go directly to the XBMC foundation

(2014-03-14, 23:40)nickr Wrote: Cool the hate guys. There is nothing illegal or immoral about charging for support or installation of open source software. If you aren't particularly computer literate how much are you prepated to pay for support?

you are the first computer geek i've hears that understands that help and support for the computer illiterate is worth compensation...ty for your words here

i often have to fix general computer issues just to get FUTURE TV (XBMC) working

it's easy for us computer geeks to get this up and running...but for most, XBMC is still far to complicated, just like linux

(2014-03-15, 01:06)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2014-03-14, 23:40)nickr Wrote: Cool the hate guys. There is nothing illegal or immoral about charging for support or installation of open source software. If you aren't particularly computer literate how much are you prepated to pay for support?

He is essentially re-branding XBMC as his own software!! Not just offering support...

FUTURE TV is simply a better name...when establishing the business, XBMC was out of the question because of what it stands for and the first impression it gives people

a side note: i never used xbmc for many years myself because i din't have an xbox and assumed you needed one to use it
(2014-03-15, 01:06)jmarshall Wrote: I agree nickr.

I suspect that there'd be less hate if it was made clear by the guy to his customers that this is what he's doing.

Absolutely nothing wrong with charging for support - indeed, it could well be a welcome service to provide.

Just don't do it under false pretences.

when you go to the about page on our new website getfuturetv.com it is littered with xbmc mentions...listen to the podcast and see for yourself

(2014-03-15, 12:26)swetoast Wrote: Really ?

REALLY ?

Gary, you really are the worst kind of people there is, taking someone else work thats open and available then slapping an overpriced sticker on it and renaming it, then you got the balls to come into the forum saying that the name sucks and that you wanna make partners.

I truly hope that people see thru your scam and that it ruins you.

STOP STEALING FROM DEVELOPERS THAT PUTS IN THE EFFORT.

regards
Toast

p.s is someone is interested in rating the software or dropping a comment
https://www.facebook.com/futuretvcanada

life is always better when we work together

(2014-03-17, 07:39)enen92 Wrote: Absolute nonsense and ridiculousness. This guy is not promoting XBMC nor offering support for xbmc, he's simply renaming xbmc and promote his own brand made up of piracy content mostly.
He doesn't advertise his service as a media platform or a way to access internet content, he expressly states his product can let you watch any movie or tvshow available for free with the false promise it is the replacement of your current tv provider and helps you save on the month bill. "With the money saved you can take your family out" as if the media he's sharing within his ridiculous brand was available for free and didn't affect other families nights out.
Moreover this guy is not even selling support, as in the case of "product failure" he points his costumers to the addon developpers or to this community.

A brief summary of my opinion about all this: I hope you get arrested soon. If that happens, you won't be homeless anymore.

each countries laws are different...how i have set up future tv is legal in canada and customers are asked not to use future tv in their country if it is illegal there

future tv might become free one day...i'm not rulling this out

i have never nor would i ever point any customer to outside help unless it was a serious computer issue (viruses and such)...maybe my customers are but i am not

(2014-03-18, 00:57)produno Wrote: I see nowhere on his facebook page where he 'promotes' XBMC...

it's on my webpage...about page

(2014-03-18, 02:56)hams1000 Wrote:
(2014-03-11, 01:54)garyedwardjohns Wrote: First and foremost, we're saving families thousands of dollars by reducing their home entertainment bills.

We are providing impoverish families with the ultimate home entertainment experience. There is only one FUTURE TV package. Everyone gets the best of the best regardless of their income.

We support local and international charities like The XBMC Foundation.

I save families about $100 a month. Money that they can take their family out for dinner with or pay down their mortgage. I don't care what people do with their savings, I just want them to save.

This guy really thinks he's a philanthropist and Gandhi rolled into one.

i save my neighbours $100 a month...i'm happy with that...very happy
i see the hate...have gotten this for quite a while from xbmc users

my customers are not xbmc users nor could they be because they dont have the computer skills

my customers save $100 a month and are happy to pay $100 a year for what i do...i get that a fellow computer geek might think this is insane, but i find this ignorant...not everyone is as computer savvy as you

i work out of a computer store that charges $130 for a system cleaning and customers are happy to pay simply because they lack the ability to do it themselves...i am happy to service these people whereas most computer geek cringe at the thought of teaching someone how to perform simple tasks on a computer

how much does Best Buy charge to do your windows updates and install free software when you buy a computer from them...in Canada they charge $150...is this also not ok?
(2014-03-24, 20:53)garyedwardjohns Wrote: how much does Best Buy charge to do your windows updates and install free software when you buy a computer from them...in Canada they charge $150...is this also not ok?

Last I checked Best Buy wasn't offering to save me money by installed piracy software on my pc.

Also how much support can you offer for software and addons that you have neither created or maintain?

I'm sure you realise the immorality of your 'business' otherwise you wouldn't keep having to justify yourself on this forum.
As someone said to the napster guys once upon a time

you don't have a business

installing xbmc with a shitload of piracy addon then charging people for it per month isn't really above the board for legal.

all you do right now is hurting xbmc with your idea so please do us a favor and just dont cause it really blows when those users comes here and asks about piracy addons that we dont support nor condone.

so please find a better idea and move on

You really dont have a business Gary
Well we don't know from this conversation what addons he installs or whether they are legal, illegal or grey.

Gary can you tell us where your customers DO get their TV from for free?

I suppose this sums up Gary's position (on his futuretv.ca website)
Quote:Even though some of FUTURETV's links guide users to copyright infringing material, it is not illegal to provide these links or to view this material and since FUTURETV does not make copies of any of the files users access, FUTURETV is legal.

http://futuretv.ca/index.php?option=com_...tid=28:faq
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hopefully, FUTURETV users will not be hiring Gary as their attorney
THANK YOU XBMC FOR PROVIDEING ME WITH THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO WHAT I'M DOING !!!!!

XOXOXOXO
This thread cannot possibly productive any longer.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FutureTV -- Stealing XBMC and reselling it.0