Universal Movie Scraper bugs on accented characters
Exclamation 
Hi guys, I have a lot of French movie titles, and every time the Universal Movie Scraper tries to scrap one with accented chars, I get the message:

Quote:Unable to connect to remote server
Would you like to continue scanning?

The relevant message in the log file is:

Code:
18:33:30 T:4542726144   DEBUG: FindMovie: Searching for '36 Quai des Orfèvres' using Universal Movie Scraper scraper (path: '/Users/ben/Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/metadata.universal', content: 'movies', version: '2.4.4')
18:33:30 T:4542726144   DEBUG: scraper: CreateSearchUrl returned <url>http://akas.imdb.com/find?q=36%20quai%20des%20orfe�%80vres&s=tt|accept-language=en-us</url>
18:33:30 T:4542726144   DEBUG: CurlFile::Open(0x1160556f0) http://akas.imdb.com/find?q=36%20quai%20des%20orfeÌ%80vres&s=tt
18:33:30 T:4542726144 WARNING: FillBuffer: curl failed with code 22
18:33:30 T:4542726144   ERROR: CCurlFile::CReadState::Open, didn't get any data from stream.
18:33:30 T:4542726144   ERROR: Run: Unable to parse web site

I couldn't find any thread about Universal Movie Scraper failing on accented characters, is this a know bug?

Any quick fix?
I too would like an answer to this question. Not sure if my problem is related to accented characters, but I am getting the same message as you Proutprout, and I do have accented characters in my titles - it sure is annoying Sad
I just tested that movie title, and it worked fine.

So either:
a) This has been fixed since 12.2 (as I'm running a nightly build), or
b) It's an OSX specific bug (as I'm running on Windows).

I'd be more inclined to think it's the first option than the second. If you can test a nightly or a monthly build, that would probably be your best bet at seeing this fixed.
(2013-09-23, 22:23)scudlee Wrote: I just tested that movie title, and it worked fine.

So either:
a) This has been fixed since 12.2 (as I'm running a nightly build), or
b) It's an OSX specific bug (as I'm running on Windows).

I'd be more inclined to think it's the first option than the second. If you can test a nightly or a monthly build, that would probably be your best bet at seeing this fixed.

Nah, it works fine on 12.2 too...
Arf, I'm doomed then. Thanks for your replies anyway.
Anyone got a clue from the log file?
I do have the exact same issue with XBMC 12.2 on Mac OS X Lion.
I haven't tested in a different OS but i'm quite sure the problem was not there in previous version of XBMC (quite not sure if I was using XBMC 10 or 9 before jumping to XBMC 12), still with OS X Lion.

All my movies are in a GNU/Linux server, XBMC access them via NFS. The filenames are encoded in utf8.
I use TheMovieDb.org to fetch all information about my movies.

I do hope it can be fixed.
Olympia / scudlee,

I've gone over multiple tests thoroughly and I also found there is no indication that the accented characters are making UMS fail. However, I do believe there is another cause for not retrieving the information even though UMS finds the movie within TMDB.

The following is only for UMS set to search and scrape TMDB:

When UMS goes for: scraper: GetDetails returned <details><id></id>, it basically parses the IMDB ID for the movie, based on TMDB ID value, and it searches and retrieves from TMDB all information using this IMDB ID. However, if the movie doesn't have an IMDB ID then this ID value is set to null. Consequentially:

Even for cases in which there is clearly no IMDB ID, is Universal Movie Scraper dismissing/not using TMDB ID value found by the scraper (e.g.: [<url cache="tmdb-210191.json">]) to effectively scrape the rest of the movie info and images from TMDB? If so, I believe this is the reason why UMS throws no results and therefore no information scraped; Am I wrong in thinking this and perhaps you've found another cause to the problem?

These are exactly the same movie first scraped by TMDB (successfully) and below it, scraped by UMS (no success). You can see clearly what I am talking about:
TMDB scraper (Success), [full debug log]:
Code:
scraper: GetDetails returned <details><id></id><chain function="GetTMDBTitleByIdChain">210191</chain><originaltitle>Proust ou Les Intermittences du Coeur</originaltitle><year>2007</year><runtime>102</runtime><chain function="GetTMDBRatingByIdChain">210191</chain><chain function="GetTMDBStudioByIdChain">210191</chain><chain function="GetTMDBCountryByIdChain">210191</chain><chain function="GetTMDBDirectorsByIdChain">210191</chain><chain function="GetTMDBWitersByIdChain">210191</chain><chain function="GetTMDBCertificationsByIdChain">210191</chain><chain function="GetTMDBSetByIdChain">210191</chain><chain function="GetTMDBPlotByIdChain">210191</chain><chain function="GetTMDBTaglineByIdChain">210191</chain><chain function="GetTMDBCastByIdChain">210191</chain><chain function="GetTMDBGenresByIdChain">210191</chain><chain function="GetTMDBThumbsByIdChain">210191</chain><chain function="GetTMDBFanartByIdChain">210191</chain><chain function="GetTMDBTrailerByIdChain">210191</chain></details>
And Universal Movie Scraper (no success) [full debug log]:
Code:
scraper: GetDetails returned <details><id></id><originaltitle>Proust ou Les Intermittences du Coeur</originaltitle><year>2007</year><chain function="GetTMDBLangTitleByIdChain"></chain><chain function="GetTMDBCertificationsByIdChain"></chain><runtime>102</runtime><chain function="GetTMDBRatingByIdChain"></chain><chain function="GetTMDBLangGenresByIdChain"></chain><chain function="GetTMDBStudioByIdChain"></chain><chain function="GetTMDBCountryByIdChain"></chain><chain function="GetRTOutlineById"></chain><chain function="GetIMDBOutlineToPlotById"></chain><chain function="GetTMDBLangTaglineByIdChain"></chain><chain function="GetTMDBCastByIdChain"></chain><chain function="GetTMDBDirectorsByIdChain"></chain><chain function="GetTMDBWitersByIdChain"></chain><chain function="GetTMDBLangSetByIdChain"></chain><chain function="GetTMDBLangThumbsByIdChain"></chain><chain function="GetTMDBFanartByIdChain"></chain><chain function="GetTMDBLangTrailerByIdChain"></chain><chain function="GetHDTrailersnet1080p">Proust ou Les Intermittences du Coeur</chain></details>

Is this something expected in UMS by design?

My systems are:
1) OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion and XBMC 12
2) OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion and XBMC 12.3 beta tests.
Best,

capfuturo

"The world must learn to work together, or finally it will not work at all" - General Eisenhower
This is a very nice point and analysis! Thanks for this!

I would say yes, it is by design at the moment and this scenario hasn't been taken into consideration. Not sure if there is an easy fix for this. Will try to look at it.
I can confirm this issue with Mac OS X 10.9 and XBMC 12.2 (64-bit testing version from Nov-4) and 13.0 (64-bit last monthly version).
Mac Mini 2009 (Intel Core 2 Duo - nVidia 9400M), Ubuntu Linux 14.04, Kodi 15.1
With regards to the mac issue:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14666

..so please stop moaning on this. No new confirmation is required here.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Universal Movie Scraper bugs on accented characters0