Win Easy way to start XBMC when Windows 8.1 starts
(2014-02-25, 23:21)schumi2004 Wrote: Is this method so much better then running it via shell?
What are the pros and cons for running XBMC in shell?

Only con I can think with she'll is that if you have to quit xbmc for some reason, you have to manually run explorer.exe.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
Personally I've used XBMClauncher (with win8.1pro) since my own "get-go" with XBMC - and never had any real issues. Exiting XBMC (if loaded as shell) automaticall loads the Explorer shell. A few points from my experience with it though (boot from internal SSD). I don't run much more else in background (from boot), than Avast anti-virus, uTorrent, TeamViewer and AutoHotKey - and use auto-login for Windows).
  • If booting straight to XBMC (as shell), it cuts time from POST (no fastboot) to XBMC home screen, almost in half (~18 seconds vs 35'ish).
  • If booting straight to XBMC (as shell) - most other (at-startup) background applications will not load until I exit XBMC (as they require the Explorer shell to be running). I can work around this by lauching explorer from XBMCs "Advanced Laucher" add-on, but this causes XBMC to loose focus.
  • Using XBMCLaucher to let explorer.exe shell load before XBMC - lets all my background at-startup applications boot, before commencing the loading of XBMC. It does, however, as mentioned above - take quite a lot longer from POST to XBMC home screen. This is the solution I use today. I rarely reboot my HTPC anyway - and can easily live with those extra ~20 seconds.

I'm sure there are a lot of tweaks and workarounds that can be done - just sharing my own experience.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Easy way to start XBMC when Windows 8.1 starts3